Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shakin' Up the East Coast

I really want to say the words that your not supposed to say until a few days after everything is said and done.

So, instead, I hope that everything gets fixed, and that no more issues pop up.

8 hours later and no PSE&G. Still have power and Net.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

So. Much. Silt and Mud.

I made it through the Noah Storm okay, but the sewers definitely backed up. (riiiight.)

My place of employment was the only major store on its commercial strip that wasn't closed for flood damage, but the street sweepers were chewing up some of the winter's snow removal budget. I was singing Kansas tunes on my way into work...

''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Next morning. Still no PSE&G. Maybe we'll come home from work tonight and discover that the fallen-tree-fairy has visited and left a service credit under our pillows.

I'm at work right now, as is Peggy. She's got power, we don't -- we're running on a generator. It's kind of odd, all the screens, routers and machines and the lights in a couple of rooms are on, but the rest of the place is dark. I feel like I'm in a grade-B cyberpunk movie, and any moment now the contents of my monitor are going to be projected on my face for effect.
-- Bob
---------

...is it wrong that your workplace on emergency power sounds like it would an utterly awesome job environment? Maybe I'm just that cyberpunk. Anyway, power here a ways south of Boston went out about an hour after the storm had passed and only came on late this morning, so my guess would be that something further north put a hurt on the high-tension lines feeding this area rather than the usual local line trouble (like downed tree limbs breaking lines or something.) Directly, we had no damage at all, but the neighbors to the south who verge on a big cornfield had several trees knocked over, one of which nicked the corner o their machine shop and opened the wall slightly. No major damage to the contents, but of course being open to the whether is not a good thing for such equipment.

Anyway, that's the Bilgewater Report on Irene. Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Here's a picture posted on Facebook by my cousin, who lives in New Jersey.
[Image: 33941019529802675631334.th.jpg]
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:...is it wrong that your workplace on emergency power sounds like it would an utterly awesome job environment? Maybe I'm just that cyberpunk.
If your idea of awesome is too warm and too dark, sure.
-- Bob
---------

Uploaded pics of the tree on our house. Enjoy.

-- Bob
---------

Oh, and I forgot to mention -- the tree was taken off the house on Monday. We are tree-free.
-- Bob
---------