Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What We're Listening To
What We're Listening To
There's a thread like this one over on the SJGames forums, and I get a non-zero number of suggestions for good music from it, so I thought a similar thread here might be a good idea.

What are you listening to? (And if it's online, where can we buy it?)

To kick the thread off: Mondo Cacti, the brand-new album by The Reverb Syndicate. Imagine a fake spaghetti-western soundtrack written by a surf-rock band who love camp '60s spy movies... actually, that's exactly what Mondo Cacti is, so you don't need to imagine it.

If you're in Ottawa, you can buy the CD at Legend Records (just like I did) or Compact Music. If you aren't that lucky, you can buy it online from the band, CDBaby, or iTunes. Ordering hotlinks and two sample tracks (two of the five best on the album, IMO) available on the album information page.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

4x4=12 by deadmau5 and Pendulum's Immersion at the moment. The former's a pretty easy album to find in any given retailer in the US (and probably Canada), the latter I think is only an online purchase in the States.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

At the moment, I have several portable devices loaded with multiple albums. On my phone, I'm carrying around
The ArockalypseThe Dethalbum II, The E.N.D., and a mess of final fantasy remixes from http://ocremix.org/
On my Nook, I've got a Xenogears remix album called Humans + Gears, The Dethalbum, Blue Man Group, and Venus Hum - Songs for Superheroes
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

... I have almost no albums/CDs I can really point to as what I'm listening to now. My MP3 collection is all tracks I like, and almost every CD I play on a regular basis is a mix disk I've made myself.

That said, the one commercially-purchased CD I've been listening to recently has been Al Yankovic's Alpocalypse.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:... I have albums/CDs I can really point to as what I'm listening to now. My MP3 collection is all tracks I like, and almost every CD I play on a regular basis is a mix disk I've made myself.
That said, the one commercially-purchased CD I've been listening to recently has been Weird Al Yankovic's Alpocalypse.
heh, I just took that CD out of my player the other night, replaced it with 'The Best of CCR' (disk 1 of 2)

Songs Recently added to the ITunes Playlist
Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors (Fish)
Phasers on Stun (FM)
Agamemnon (Rathergood.com)
Missionary Man (Eurythmics)
D'Ampton Worm (The Tossers)
Kick It (Peaches and Iggy Pop)
Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow (Jethro Tull)
Big Bottom (Spinal Tap)
And the unforgettable
Peter Cushing Lives in Whitstable (The Jellybottys)

In the car's CD player today: Duke Elegant, a collection of Duke Ellington covers by Dr. John.

(Bob, Dr. John's cover of I'm Gonna Go Fishin' might be a gate song for Doug...)
--
Rob Kelk

At the moment, I'm listening to "Erämaan Viimeinen" by Nightwish, but I've had no luck finding them anywhere in a physical shop excpt the two disks that had been donated to the Friends of the Library Bookshelf. Online, of course, their albums can be found by any of the usual search and/or price comaparison sites, and probably various music file stores as well. The albums I'd most like to find so I can stop feeling mild but persistent guilt over illegal downloading are the Xenosaga soundtracks, especially Xenosaga II. I stalled my XS2 game for like two days the first time through just letting the Fatal Fight #2 (Jin & Margulis) theme play and not entering any commands, becasue it was that awesome. The Ressurection and The Miracle from XS1, and the Testaments' theme and Godsibb from XS3 are also excellent. Basically, I'm just a big ol' Xenosaga freak, I guess. The only "performer" with more tracks than "Xenosaga OST" in my iTunes is Def Leppard, and the only Leppard albums I'm missing are all-live recordings, which I generally don't go for anyway. (live music is fine in person, when you can get swept up in the energy, but for recordings I'll take higher sound quality and production values every time. My sister, a former music major who has an entire wall of shelves for CDs and vinyl records, is horrified by this philistine attitude, but I am unmoved by such arguments.)

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I'll give a thumbs up for Fish. I just recently got my hands on Suits, "Emperor's Song" is a killer.

At this precise moment I'm listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve and Other Stories and lamenting the fact that I'll be unable to see their live shows this year. (Among others.)

Other stuff I've been listening to recently:

Glass Hammer's The Inconsolable Secret (2005): Double concept album, disc one is based on Arthurian legends, disc two is based on The Chronicles of Narnia. The final track is quickly going to the top of my most played list.

Opeth's Heritage (2011): Opeth looks back to their prog roots while still keeping a foot firmly in their normal death/progressive/jazz/I don't know what metal/rock. No growling vocals. (Will unlock on iTunes and release everywhere in two days.)

maudlin of the Well's [sic] Bath (2001): Highly experimental metal, often taking dips into classical, jazz, thrash, death and contemporary chamber music.

Renaissance's Turn of the Cards (1974), Ashes are Burning (1973), Scheherazade & Other Stories (1975) and A Song for All Seasons (1978): Symphonic prog/folk. Annie Haslam's vocals are simply sublime to listen to.

Johann Johannsson's IBM 1401: A User's Manual (2006) and Fordlandia (2008): Thematic orchestral music. To this day, IBM 1401... is the only album to have made me break down in tears.

Colin Masson's Isle of Eight (2001) and The Mad Monk and the Mountain (2009): Celtic themed prog rock. The former sounds like rocking sea chanteys. The latter sounds like something Mike Oldfield would have recorded, which is certainly not a bad thing.

Blue Öyster Cult's Workshop of the Telescopes (1998): It's a BÖC compilation of greatest hits, live songs and B-sides. It sees heavy rotation at my work.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Moon Safari's Blomljud (2008) and Lover's End (2010): Looking for a pick-me-up? It is impossible to listen to these albums and not feel good. Also features vocal harmonies that make the Beach Boys look like amateurs.

All of these are available on iTunes or through Amazon (or your online music store of choice). Only the BÖC and Opeth albums are likely to be seen in stores, though you might get lucky with Renaissance.

HoagieOfDoom Wrote:All of these are available on iTunes or through Amazon (or your online music store of choice). Only the BÖC and Opeth albums are likely to be seen in stores, though you might get lucky with Renaissance.
That sounds like a challenge. (Legend Records is a very comprehensive music store - they have sections for genres that don't even get single discs in the "miscellaneous" sections of other stores, they recently expanded their vinyl room, and they even have a few 8-tracks for sale - which is a big part of why they're still in business when so many other local record stores are going under. I'll have to see how many of your discs are in stock there... but not this week.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Legend Records is a very comprehensive music store - they have sections for genres that don't even get single discs in the "miscellaneous" sections of other stores, they recently expanded their vinyl room, and they even have a few 8-tracks for sale - which is a big part of why they're still in business when so many other local record stores are going under. I'll have to see how many of your discs are in stock there... but not this week.
Sounds like my kind of place! We don't have much in the way of well-stocked music shops here in Burlington, VT. Pure Pop is pretty good, Downtown Discs unfortunately closed, Burlington Records is pretty awesome but deals exclusively in vinyl (they had a mint condition copy of Boston's Third Stage! And almost every Camel album from the '70s!), but none of them are as good as Legend sounds. I'll have to check it out if I ever find myself thereabouts.

Nothing.

...MP3 Player is recharging.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Quote:(Bob, Dr. John's cover of I'm Gonna Go Fishin' might be a gate song for Doug...)
What CD is that on? Kat's sister Alison and her husband John (Freiler, aka Skitz) are big Dr. John fans and I should be able to borrow it from them.
-- Bob
---------

Right this minute? Nothing, I'm at work.

General soundtrack: Car cd changer has first 4 albums of Sakura Taisen complete vocal collection, Bubblegum Crisis complete vocal collection CD 1, and Dragonforce: Valley of the Damned.

In-house playlist has generally been a mix of Gordon Bok, the Clancy Brothers, and the Macross Frontier soundtrack.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

When I'm not listening to The Cape or Dimensional Radio, I like soundtracks a lot. StreamingSoundtracks.com is a good feed to listen to sometimes. Right this moment I was playing Michael Giaconno's "The Incredible's" soundtrack, which is always good for making me smile. But you made me stop and think about it. So I stopped to check what the Streaming Soundtracks feed was playing, and just so happens to be "Rivendell" from the Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring OST. Ah nice. ^_^

Recently, after finally getting around to seeing X-Men First Class  (which turned out to be MUCH BETTER than I was thinking it was going to be) I was quite taken with the soundtrack for that movie. Mostly the main theme, the first "training montage" music, the music played during Charles Xavier's first use of the prototype Cerebro, and Eric Lehnsher/Magneto's main theme

Quote:(Bob, Dr. John's cover of I'm Gonna Go Fishin' might be a gate song for Doug...)
Bob Schroeck Wrote:What CD is that on? Kat's sister Alison and her husband John (Freiler, aka Skitz) are big Dr. John fans and I should be able to borrow it from them.
The one I had in the CD player yesterday - Duke Elegant.
--
Rob Kelk

Ah, okay. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Right now, my highly random stream of stuff ripped from CDs.

Later, gonna try some audio books from http://alienvoices.net/, John DeLancie and Leonard Nimoy's sci-fi audio drama project.

I heard about it from De Lancie's twitter page, looking at his reactions to the fan reaction to his turn as Discord on MLP. He was reminded of what Roddenberry told him when he signed up for Q: "You have no idea what you're getting into..."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

My official Hino Rei/Sailor Mars love song, A Little Piece by The Jezabels. (Yes, that is spelled correctly.) Can't put my finger on it exactly, but this group has got a certain heart and spirit to them that you don't see very often.

This morning, I was listening to the newest episode of Black Jack Justice, "Mad Dogs and Ambulance Chasers." Fine audio drama of the old school. Check out Decoder Ring Theatre for the adventures of "Black" Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon (Girl Detective), as well as the adventures of Canada's Greatest Superhero, the Red Panda (who carries both the Ebony and Shayne Dark Stamps of Approval).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Other things I am listening to
For those of you who haven't hooked into Black Jack Justice and the Red Panda Adventures (The recent wartime episodes of The Red Panda are pure awesome.)
For you history buffs - these are on my list right now.
The History of Rome - this is the mother - or more colorfully the Oedipal gerund of history podcasts.  Rome from inception to (I hope) the final fall on Constantinople.  Awesome listening.
http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/
12 Byzantine Rules by Lars Brownworth - now complete - his book Lost to the West was based on this. 
http://12byzantinerulers.com/

Norman Centuries
This one is ongoing - and also worthwhile (As my lovely wife asked about one of my helmets - Who is Norman Spangenhelm?)
http://normancenturies.com
And from my Audible Library - Which could just as easily be titled 'You utter bastards!  Highly competent bastards, but bastards nonetheless.
A History of Ancient Sparta: Valor, Virtue, and Devotion in the Greek Golden Age

Quote:Rev Dark wrote:

For those of you who haven't hooked into Black Jack Justice and the Red Panda Adventures (The recent wartime episodes of The Red Panda are pure awesome.)
They really are. Is it wrong to have wanted the Squirrel to punch the Prime Minister? I'm Texan and have no knowledge of Canadian political history.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I'm listening to "Aimo O.C." right at the moment, and thinking that in retrospect it should have been a GLARING tipoff about Grace that she thought turning Aimo (even when everyone just thought the lyrics were nonsense babbling, let alone after the Bird Woman verison from the in-continuity movie) into a ... all I can call it is a victory dirge, contradictory as that is ... was somewhere in the same galaxy as a good idea. Seriously, what the hell? At the time I just dismissed it as a "Dammit Japan!" moment, but after watching the whole Macross F series...

Yeah.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows