Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live Action "Ranma" Movie coming to Japanese TV
Live Action "Ranma" Movie coming to Japanese TV
It is scheduled to air in December, 3 months from now.  Anime News Network stories here and here.

Yui Aragaki will be playing Akane.  Female Ranma will be played by Natsuna, and Kento Kaku will be playing male Ranma.  The second link above has more casting information, including the fathers.

The official page at NTV for the production can be found here.  It has pics of all the confirmed cast, and I have to say, Natsuna seems perfect.  Rumiko Takahashi appears to be involved with the production, which is always a good sign.

I can only hope that the fansubbers are gearing up for this one -- but I wouldn't be surprised if Viz already has a lock on bringing it across the Pacific.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

....surprisingly large amount of want, I must admit.

I just hope that they can manage the budget to do justice to the hyperkinetic battles and chaos of the source.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

This is either going to be totally sweet or a complete failure. I can't wait to find out!

What I find interesting is that the actor portraying Doctor Tofu looks very much like a young Jackie Chan.
Then I had a sudden epiphany; Jackie Chan choreographs the Ranma live action movie, which makes it the martial arts comedy it should be, and the actors can perform the stunts without killing themselves...Jeepers!

You know, it just occurs to me that, after almost twenty years of Ranma fanon and memetic mutation, how very likely it is that a significant fraction of English-speaking fandom is going to see a faithful live version as adaptation decay. We should probably be prepared for a Fan Dumb backlash when a version finally makes it out of Japan...
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know, it just occurs to me that, after almost twenty years of Ranma fanon and memetic mutation, how very likely it is that a significant fraction of English-speaking fandom is going to see a faithful live version as adaptation decay. We should probably be prepared for a Fan Dumb backlash when a version finally makes it out of Japan...
I've been trying to correct people from the Fanon only viewpoint for years now. It's usually a discussion topic in my Fanfiction Forum at Geek.Kon. And yes, Ranma charactures have been mutated and Flanderized in fanon down to an exaggerated one dimensional version of those characters, Akane being the worst victim of it.
If this IS a faithful adaptation (there'[s always the possibility of the Japanese having that same kind of fanon decay), I can easily see a great deal of current Ranma "Fanon Fans" (i.e. "I love Ranma, I read tons of Ranma Fanfiction...never actually saw the series or read the manga though." >_

More news. Not a lot, but still more. Kuno, Nabiki and Gosunkugi's actors have all been announced, as well as the Big Bad, who is original to this production.

-- Bob
---------

Peggy and I were discussing the new casting after I posted that last night. And basically I ended up wondering how Akane ended up with all the male attention if the Tendo sisters "really" look anything like their live action counterparts. Because while Akane is clearly attractive, Nabiki is a freaking supermodel. She must be even more abrasive than she comes off in the manga and anime...
-- Bob
---------
Why Akane...
Probably because she is the heir to the dojo/martial tradition; which in that series would be the equivalent of a Russ Meyer approved pneumatic-shelf-you-could-perform-shakespeare-from rack and the ability to inhale a softball through a garden hose.

Do remember, we're looking at "Glamour Shots" of the actors/actresses here. So how they will look comparatively "in character" may be a whole 'nother matter. However, I am having a hard time picturing some of theme in the roles they are meant to play.

As for Bob's comment on the Tendo Sisters, remember a large part of it is personality. Nabiki looks nice, even in the manga and anime. But she's a cold-hearted bitch that is only interested in Yen.Her mercenary persona is a real turn off for guys - especially when it means they'd have to take out a major loan before they even got to first base.

Quote:Ransan wrote:

Her mercenary persona is a real turn off for guys - especially when it means they'd have to take out a major loan before they even got to first base.
   LOL, I'm really looking forward to this actually... sure I'll have to probably get a low Quality fan dub to watch (cuz it will probably take 5 or more years for this to reach Australian shores) but it does look fun.

dark seraph Wrote:   LOL, I'm really looking forward to this actually... sure I'll have to probably get a low Quality fan dub to watch (cuz it will probably take 5 or more years for this to reach Australian shores) but it does look fun.
What, do they have somebody swim from Japan with a copy? The least you could do is charter a boat...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-4755.html
And now a blog with pictures of the some of the cast in costume. A little further down the page seems to be a little snippet where Akane get her hair chopped off No pun intended Smile

Those are good costumes. Real good. They look like people and not people trying to match animation.

And the cast sure do look good in them Wink Especially Ranma.

Yowza, those do look good. Without a side perspective, though, I can't tell if Genma is fat enough.

By the way, what character is the old guy right above Female!Ranma supposed to be? I'm having a brain fart and my mind can't cough up a name.

The guy in the suit? I think he's the original Big Bad they created for this story.

I noticed we didn't get to see Nabs...
-- Bob
---------

All the images' filenames have the character's name in them and whoever this guy is his name is "Tayama". The only thing I got is that maybe he and Genma pinkie-swore on something in the past and he's coming to collect.

HoagieOfDoom Wrote:All the images' filenames have the character's name in them and whoever this guy is his name is "Tayama". The only thing I got is that maybe he and Genma pinkie-swore on something in the past and he's coming to collect.

My beautiful daughter over there who's too busy eating to pay attention..... she'll be your wife if you wave the restaurant bill.

*looks at the pics* .... holy shit, they could of almost walked out of the manga with some of them.

Uh yeah. Wow! The one of Kasumi... Good god she's gorgeous!
Both Ranmas look excellent. I notice a more traditional pattern to the red Chinese outfit. That makes it a little more "real" somehow. If they tried to do a total remake of the costume as it was presented in the anime, you'd just have a blank red version. And I don't think they -make- them like that. The manga and anime of course simplified that down to just "red".
The guys playing Genma and Soun made me laugh just looking at them. Soun especially. Big Grin

Agreed, Kasumi fits her memetic status of "DAYUM, Son!" And the Fathers are suitably cartoony.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:Agreed, Kasumi fits her memetic status of "DAYUM, Son!"
Or, for this franchise, "DAYUM, Soun!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:The one of Kasumi... Good god she's gorgeous!
As she should be, in my opinion -- the manga and especially the anime both hint that she's most attractive of the sisters. (For example, there's that very late-season anime beach episode I've mentioned before, where she wears the second-smallest bikini among the main cast; in it she gets dragooned into being the "card girl" for a beach beauty contest instead of competing but gets voted first place by the crowd of guys making up the audience -- over all the other female cast members.)
ETA:  On looking at the large versions of the stills at the bottom of the page... where is that happening?  An Italian restaurant?  The glimpses of the background certainly don't look like a traditional Japanese home...  If the last two shots are any indication, this is not footage from the show.  I ran the page through Google Translate, and other than something about the cast being encouraged to cut their own hair for the show (?) there's little indication of what's going on.  (Reading the comments is fun, btw.  The Japanese fans have just as much mix of "it's new, it's great" and "it's new, it sucks" as American fans have.  And I think that if we line up the positions of the comments right, I think we can find out the Japanese for "Massive fail" without too much trouble.  )
ETA2:  Comment 120 amused me:  essentially, "where's Ryoga?":
Quote:Name: Anonymous @ Chan News 2 Posted: 22 October 2011 07:34
Where do I cut the hair.
It's important scene early Mon.
The two tusks Who are you?

"The two tusks", I'm pretty sure, is Google Translate doing "Ryoga" literally.
-- Bob
---------

Well. If the date on the http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... ion-ranma- is correct, it was on last night. Anyone spot it showing up on a fansub site yet? I know there's now a lot of footage on YouTube, including this commercial from a couple weeks ago:

And yes, it does appear that Nabiki remains a supermodel in character.
-- Bob
---------

[Image: 1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1302576402]