Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help with music trivia
Looking for help with music trivia
I don't know whether this counts as "cheating" or "clever use of an existing social network", but I figure if anybody can help me answer some music trivia questions and win a prize, then so can the folks here.
In the DAZ3D Forums, music2u4u Wrote:MINI CONTEST TIME!

ok...maybe this will help pick things up. Seems I can't get any donations from anyone or even three judges this year so maybe this will help.

This is the usual MUSIC TRIVIA MINI CONTEST I do each year. I have posted some renders of the prize back a page or two, my new Basic Room 2011. The idea is to answer all 10 questions correctly. You post all 10 at once and I will respond a "YES" or a "NO". The first one to get all 10 correct will win. If you miss, you can still go back and change any answers and post again. It will continue until there is a winner. So here are the 10 questions:

1 - What song released back in the late 60s had an effect so huge, it changed America forever? (Probably the biggest impact on this country ever.)

2 - What song was a milestone and turning point in the way music was played in America?

3 - What famous musician, known by all, is now broke and living in the streets homeless?

4 - What musician was asked to join the Beatles, but turned down the offer because they did not like Paul McCartney's way of calling it "his band"?

5 - What 3 well known country artists used the same studio band on all their albums in the 1990s rise of country music?

6 - What famous artist was once a drummer for pre Motown Gordy records and played on may of their records, inventing the double time snare "soul beat" used on so many songs back then?

7 - What famous Bass player, who played in a few very well known bands in the 1970s, was quoted as saying..."I never recorded a single part of a single song sober!"

8 - When the Doors finally broke up, two of it's members formed another band and recorded an album. Who were the two members and what was the name of the band they formed?

9 - What artist was originally suppose to play bass for the group "The Monkees" but got sick and was replaced by Peter Tork?

10 - Who played bass on many of the old Motown hit songs we hear everyday, and had something unusual about them that was different from all the other bass players. This person also played on many movie scores and on most of all those tv theme songs we grew up with in the 60s and 70s. They have over 300 popular songs alone they played on we hear on the radio everyday, even ones you thought were the band members but was really this person. Name the person and say what was so uniquely different about them.

ok, those are the 10 questions. Remember to answer them completely and you can always go back and change your answers and repost again.

Good luck all.

[Image: banana-dance.gif]

I'm pretty sure the answer to #1 is Alice's Restaurant Massacree (Arlo Guthrie, 1967) - it changed the common man's attitude to the Vietnam War draft, and to the draft in general.

I think I know the answers to #2 and #9, but I'm not sure so I won't post them here - yet.

The others... haven't got a clue. Anyone care to help?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:2 - What song was a milestone and turning point in the way music was played in America?

A little ambiguous. It's probably wrong that my first thought was Edison shouting 'Mary had a Little Lamb' into his early phonograph. Just changed everything about how music is played forever....

It's either that or Bill Halley and the Comet's 'Rock around the Clock', or another of the early popular rock and roll songs.

I hadn't even considered Edison's "Mary Had a Little Lamb"... but I think you're right.

(I was thinking "Rocket 88", the first rock and roll song.)

That's probably 2 (maybe 3) down, probably 8 (maybe 7) to go...
--
Rob Kelk

It's a very ambiguous question mind. It could also be both.

Anyways, in the same vein, a quick google suggests Moog Taurus Might be the answer to number 10. Played a lot of bass in the 70's, rather different from normal players.

I got a few possibilities from another friend of mine. His suggestion for #10 was Tony Newton - he started as a classically-trained woodwind player.

#6 and #8 have a definite answer, not opinion. #6 is Marvin Gaye; #8 is Robbie Krieger and John Densmore (guitarist and drummer respectively), The Butts Band.

Consolidating what I do have, so far, EDIT: and adding the hints that have been given:

music2u4u Wrote:1 - What song released back in the late 60s had an effect so huge, it changed America forever? (Probably the biggest impact on this country ever.)
music2u4u Wrote:number 1 says "it changed America "forever" meaning it will never reverse or go back to the way of life before. Needless to say, this song went straight to number one and held it for a long time because of the impact it had. That is a clue.
(Alice's Restaurant Massacree only made it to #17. Some Wikisurfing prodices this possible answerSmile
People Got to Be Free (The Rascals, 1968). Charted at #1 from August 17 to September 14, this is "an upbeat but impassioned plea for tolerance and freedom." Thirty years later, a black man was elected President, something inconceivable at the time the song was recorded.

music2u4u Wrote:2 - What song was a milestone and turning point in the way music was played in America?
music2u4u Wrote:Number says "turning point" meaning it changed the way music was played from that point on. I will give you a clue. It was a certain instrument of the recording that changed the way music has been played ever since the song was released. Almost all songs now, that instrument is played that way, and has been since.
There are so many possibilities, but I'll go with Mary Had a Little Lamb, performed by Thomas Edison, 1877 - it changed the way music was played from "played live" to "played back."

music2u4u Wrote:3 - What famous musician, known by all, is now broke and living in the streets homeless?
music2u4u Wrote:Being famous, I would say they were pretty much known by all in their time of fame. This person now lives in a van, homeless and in the streets. Went from very rice to very poor. You would know them if I said their name instantly. This is the question that was actually on the news recently and almost everyone I know, knows this person and the answer to this question.
Sly Stone.

music2u4u Wrote:4 - What musician was asked to join the Beatles, but turned down the offer because they did not like Paul McCartney's way of calling it "his band"?
Process of elimination by his "one correct" reply to a list with three non-goofball answers, with one of those three stated to be incorrect: maybe "Jimi Hendrix."

music2u4u Wrote:5 - What 3 well known country artists used the same studio band on all their albums in the 1990s rise of country music?
Don't know yet.

music2u4u Wrote:6 - What famous artist was once a drummer for pre Motown Gordy records and played on may of their records, inventing the double time snare "soul beat" used on so many songs back then?
Marvin Gaye.

music2u4u Wrote:7 - What famous Bass player, who played in a few very well known bands in the 1970s, was quoted as saying..."I never recorded a single part of a single song sober!"
Don't know yet. Note that he doesn't say whether this is an electric bass or a standup bass...

music2u4u Wrote:8 - When the Doors finally broke up, two of it's members formed another band and recorded an album. Who were the two members and what was the name of the band they formed?
Robbie Krieger and John Densmore (guitarist and drummer respectively), The Butts Band.

music2u4u Wrote:9 - What artist was originally suppose to play bass for the group "The Monkees" but got sick and was replaced by Peter Tork?
Don't know yet. (Stephen Stills bowed out because of contractual obligations, not illness.)

music2u4u Wrote:10 - Who played bass on many of the old Motown hit songs we hear everyday, and had something unusual about them that was different from all the other bass players. This person also played on many movie scores and on most of all those tv theme songs we grew up with in the 60s and 70s. They have over 300 popular songs alone they played on we hear on the radio everyday, even ones you thought were the band members but was really this person. Name the person and say what was so uniquely different about them.
Tony Newton - he started as a classically-trained woodwind player.
--
Rob Kelk