Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another Computer Problem
Yet Another Computer Problem
hokay, so I got myself a real headscratcher going on here.  See all the gory details here on Launchpad: http://answers.launchpad...e/grub2/+question/174986
Seriously, I don't think the memory has got anything to do with it seeing as how Windows doesn't give me that problem and pulling the drive and booting from USB 'resets' things.  I think it's really odd in that it doesn't let me boot from any CD at all.  Not even my 100% legitimate, store-bought copy of Windows 7.
Thoughts?  Right now considering upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10.  And if that don't work I'll go back down to 10.04LTS.

I'd pull back to 10.04lts - unity is crap anywayWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

to expand further on this, I don't think you're that far off the board with your conclusions. Have you considered a wipe and rebuild?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

That looks familiar to me. I had it happen once on 10.10, where something got FUBAR'd and my / partition was reporting as being 12TB in size when the partition was only 20GB. I shut down with the intention to reboot and see if that cleared up, but GNU Grub gave me the "No Boot Device Found" error. I was able to boot from my Ubuntu-on-a-stick, but that didn't solve the problem. So I just re-formatted my / and swap partitions, reinstalled, and have been peachy ever since.

(If you don't have separate /home partition, a) GET ONE!, and b) BACKUP!)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Does your PC have a media button, or any sort of hidden partition on the disk (Recovery, Dell Media centre or the like)? Because they can mess with Grub from time to time

Okay then. Lemme guess: Unity is the replacement fro Gnome? If so, then yeah, it's crap. Had a fit when I couldn't find any system setting stuff. It tries too hard to be different and it doesn't seem to handle memory terribly well.

In that case, definitely going back to LTS.

Also: thanks, Wire, for not taking me for a n00b like that other guy did. I may not know much about Linux, but I can tell when I'm having a memory issue and when I'm not.

Ankhani: Currently using a separate partition for my user documents and such in Windows. Can I safely use that as my /home partition as well? It's NTFS right now, but I can temporarily move everything off so I can reformat it as FAT32.

Dartz, I got rid of that other crap partitions since A) Windows 7 comes with it's own nice toys for recovering from even some of the more nasty screw-ups, and B) I upgraded my HD from a piddling 350GB to a nice 750GB. It does, however, have touch sensitive media buttons (play/pause, volume, mute, WiFi on/off, power saver on/off, etc).

Honsetly my first suspicion would be a borked ACPI setup of some sort, borked hard-drive coming in a very close second, and with memory or power supply issues coming third. If it is bad memory it might just be that grub is unlucky and hits it while booting while windows loads the data elsewhere.

If you have a week or so where you do not need the drive do a proper badblocks scan on it, I'll bet it finds all kinds of issues that the less though scans didn't detect.

Quote:Ankhani: Currently using a separate partition for my user documents and such in Windows. Can I safely use that as my /home partition as well? It's NTFS right now, but I can temporarily move everything off so I can reformat it as FAT32.

You could but I would not recommend it. Remember all your user settings go into that folder, which means a lot of files and folders beginning with a '.'. However making the "My Documents" folder a shared fat32 partition should work quite well for sharing documents between OSes.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

You'll have to reformat to use it as /home. You can keep it NTFS if you want, but you can't point /home to an existing place on another partition. The way I've got things going, Win7 is on one partition, and all my Ubuntu stuff is in it's own extended partition (one each for /, /home, and swap). You can make a shortcut in /home to your Windows User Folder for easy access (as long as it's already mounted).

You'll need to install off a CD (or USB), as wubi doesn't allow you to define partitions manually. When the installer asks if you want to Dual Boot or replace, Take A Third Option. From there, if you haven't already gotten your drive in shape, you can reallocate your partitions as you like. Then just assign which is /, /home, and if you want, swap.

(This rather haphazard almost-a-guide was brought to you by your resident Armchair Computer Tech)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

shit, woman, if I give you remote ssh and access to sudo, can you take a look at !#%!@#% Samba for me? (Core 2 duo @ 2.66, 8gb ddr2, weirdness happening with minecraft and samba, Ubuntu 11.04)

Dartz - I think you're thinking of the media-player-without-booting-windows trick, vs. some media control buttons for in-OS use?

Yeah, the media player without booting windows. It was a feature on my laptop. The partition was hidden on the disk unless you pressed the media-centre button which accessed it directly and activated it and played havoc when grub(version 1) loaded. It also affected with Windows install at the same time, causing it to crash a few minutes after booting. It looked like a harddisk failure, and trying to examine the partition table in gparted showed a whole, empty disk.

Shutting down and rebooting didn't fix the problem... the only real fix was to reboot with the media-centre button again which seemed to de-activate the partition. I got around it by repartitioning the whole disk with the partition 'active' so now the mediacentre button has nothing to point to.

If it's something like that that's been set somewhere, maybe that's what's causing the problem. It could be that the OS isn't properly setting something in the disk controller as it shuts down. Natty is a bit of a dog. Xubuntu 11.10 absolutely refuses to shut itself down cleanly and is generally a total mess for me. It's really gone downhill.

meh that is the problem with using time based releases with fixed feature sets. Almost nothing is treated as a blocker. They are working on getting the management of the releases fixed by the next LTS, we'll see if it works.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

While I may have some small terminal-fu, Wire, I have never encountered this 'Samba' stuff. I would likely have no clue what to look for or do.
---

The worst part is, I have a freaking Super Linux Geek in the basement, and the lazy bastard won't look at it.

BA, do you still have your 'little' hard drive? It might be worth putting a clean single-boot install of Ubuntu on it (or even duplicating your existing dual boot setup) on the smaller drive so you can long-term test the bigger one..

WG: Had to donate the original drive to my mom. I gave her my old laptop and the 500GB drive on there started to bite the dust. She said she was happy enough with 320 anyhow.

Here's some more WTF-ness for you guys. Apparently 10.04LTS doesn't have the drivers for my laptop's WiFi!!! I already have the drivers, but now I gotta figure out how the hell I install the shit manually. *Hangs head in frustration* And you guys wonder why Windows is so popular. "Oh look, I need to install a driver... No problem! I'll just run this app and it will handle the heavy lifting for me!" *Grumbles*

blackaeronaut Wrote:WG: Had to donate the original drive to my mom. I gave her my old laptop and the 500GB drive on there started to bite the dust. She said she was happy enough with 320 anyhow.

Here's some more WTF-ness for you guys. Apparently 10.04LTS doesn't have the drivers for my laptop's WiFi!!! I already have the drivers, but now I gotta figure out how the hell I install the shit manually. *Hangs head in frustration* And you guys wonder why Windows is so popular. "Oh look, I need to install a driver... No problem! I'll just run this app and it will handle the heavy lifting for me!" *Grumbles*

If the app works. I have spent OMGWTF time trying to get HP print drivers to work properly under windows, because the app was borked. In the end one can only blame the manufacturer.

Damn... 10.04 has started pulling the same shit.

I don't think I want to go back further than the last LTS version, but if that is what it takes... Argh.

That sounds like an entirely different problem than the software itself. Especially if LTS worked beforehand..... something may be going wrong in the disk itself. The partition table might be corrupt. Something's corrupted somewhere.

No, it may be the software. Lucid didn't work before due to some fudge-up with the video drivers (ATI is always a bit slow when it comes to keeping up with the updates for X), and the last one that did work was Hardy Heron.