Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kerbal Space Program - From the Kearth to the Mun

if it was that easy I would have posted the link.

After a bit of digging through the history here it is: http://kerbalspaceprogram...m/index.php?topic=4397.0
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Wonderful! That thread also let me know you can move the rocket around inside the VAB so that when it spawns outside it can spawn somewhere NOT on the launching pad. Which I didn't know before! That alone would be really helpful, so thanks! ^_^

Got any recommendations for extra parts?  I have a few, but most of them tend to cause explosions and nosedives before I make 20k of height.
While entertaining, I'd like to make progress for once.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I would start at
http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/kerba ... ogram-mods
In particular I use the following from the above:
- The "Wobbly Rockets" Pack (Which actually isn't. The name is misleading)
- The RocktCo Munar Lander Pack. (I talked about this earlier in the thread.)
- Silisko Industries Doughnut Research & Spacecraft Development pack (this is where the parts for the "Van Braun" style rockets come from, as well as some large scale SAS modules for larger rockets. Very handy)
- The KW Challenger Pack (Some really HUGE rocket motors and tanks in this one.)
- The C7 Aviation Pack (For space-planes and more aero-dynamic rockets in general. Includes landing skids and wings with lift)
As well as a few other odds and ends.
I think if you're looking first for "large rocket stability" first - get the Silisko pack first. The SAS units they have fit 1.75 and 2 meter wide rocket bodies. And they have some other good additions as well.
As I mentioned in a previous post, the RocktCo Munar Lander is a great overall system. Just be aware that it's scaled differently in terms of weight from the rest of the parts.

There is a new version, and the performance improvements are much appreciated.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Where do you think I've been the last couple of days? (grin)
One REALLY welcome change is the ability to actually pilot the craft from the orbital map view. You still don't have status on fuel and stages with that, but having the central artificial horizon ball indicator and associated important parts available, the throttle and roll/yaw/pitch control, ability to turn the SAS and RCS on and off and all of that are just joyous. It's now possible to be SUPER precise in making orbital insertions and not overshoot/undershoot.
On that note, with these additions I've been able to figure out how to boost out to just beyond moon orbit and find the EXACT place to shoot for that precise "free return trajectory" that loops around the backside and sends me home with no further major boosts if I do no course correction to park in moon orbit. The first time I wasn't sure if I'd lucked into it that way or not, so I tried it again a couple of times with the same results. On the third one I felt like crowing "UP to orbit, ONCE around the planet, OUT to the Mun, HOOK around the backside, BACK to Kerbin - NOTHING BUT NET!! BOO-YAH!!"   Big Grin
And I have finally achieved one of my other major goals. The true CLASSIC I've been hoping to figure out how to achieve since I first saw the "Von Braun" style rocket parts in the Silesko pack add-on --
[Image: screenshot14-1.png]
[Image: screenshot15-1.png]

The Falcon has landed. I call this one the Falcon XLS. "X" because she's the tenth model. And "LS" for "Landing Ship". 
It's the exact same 3 stage booster system as the old Mark 8. But the main craft has added RCS thrusters (and fuel) an Advanced SAS, a lightweight high capacity upper fuel tank from the C7 Airframe parts package, and ejectable landing legs. Take off from the Mun and pop them off to save just that little bit of extra weight for the return trip. Though I wound up with enough fuel left that I might've been able to leave them on. I might try for a soft parachute-less landing back on Kerbin if I can manage the fuel enough on a future trip.
Also - pressing F2 removes the UI completely. Allowing you to take screenshots without it. Was it necessary? Not really. Cool? Definitely!
[Image: screenshot191-2.png]

Got the new version, myself.  Massive improvement.
  • Loving the new fuel lines.  I can't even say how much.  I just made what could've been a Mun-orbital trajectory with five SF boosters and one LF engine (one inline fuel tank and three side-mounted ones).  All stock parts.  Going to have to try a 3m tank feeding 8 side-mounted engines at some point...
  • Not liking the way SAS works now.  The rocket I mentioned above, with just the capsule SAS, would've been fairly steady before.  In .13, it wiggles all over the place.
  • Going back to all stock parts seems to have made my rockets less likely to fall apart on the launch pad.  I had a devil of a time with size-changers snapping, leaving my final stage to get piledriven into oblivion by its own boosters.
Still a net gain, I think.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.