Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know what movie I'm seeing this coming March...
I know what movie I'm seeing this coming March...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

ABOUT TIME!!!!

This story has been stuck in 'Development Hell' for about 79 years.

I'm looking forward to it as well.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

opening night, imax 3d, seeya there. SOLD.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

I'd only take a chance on the 3D if it was natively filmed in it. I'm getting a growing dislike of films converted to 3D in post.

BTW, for some giggles of the "some people are so ignorant/stupid" variety, check out the comments on both of those videos' pages at YouTube, and count how many idiots are accusing this of being a ripoff of Avatar or some other movie.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

My only complaint is that Dejah Thoris and the other Red Martians don't look red enough to me. Burroughs didn't say "Red Martian" like you would say "Red Man" (meaning Native American), he meant Red Martians (along with Green Martians, Black Martians, and Yellow Martians), as in they were vermillion. That being said, it won't prevent me from being in that theater as close to opening day as I can manage. And if "Mars: Bringer of War" isn't featured (unlikely, since Holst is the Movie Score Composer's Bestest Best Friend Ever), I will be disappointed.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Rod H Wrote:I'd only take a chance on the 3D if it was natively filmed in it. I'm getting a growing dislike of films converted to 3D in post.
I've always thought 3D was a gimmick. [size=smaller](But I'm of the generation that watched SCTV in its first run on television, so I remember things like "Doctor Tongue's 3D House of Pancakes".)[/size] If I want to see people in 3D, I'll take in a play...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bob Schroeck Wrote:BTW, for some giggles of the "some people are so ignorant/stupid" variety, check out the comments on both of those videos' pages at YouTube, and count how many idiots are accusing this of being a ripoff of Avatar or some other movie.
Or laziness...c'mon google is your friend!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

My Mom, ever the ERB fangirl, had a total fangasm. Granted, she feels that the Red Martians probably aren't red enough... but it looks like they got everything else right. Can't wait to see this myself! Big Grin

blackaeronaut Wrote:My Mom, ever the ERB fangirl, had a total fangasm. Granted, she feels that the Red Martians probably aren't red enough... but it looks like they got everything else right. Can't wait to see this myself! Big Grin
Not enough nudity (in Princess of Mars, Dejah Thoris is described as wearing nothing but "ornaments"), but it is Disney.  
Ebony the Black Dragon

...and Mr. Carter arrived on Barsoom naked as well... Give Disney a little slack here.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Ebony Wrote:Not enough nudity (in Princess of Mars, Dejah Thoris is described as wearing nothing but "ornaments"), but it is Disney. 
Kurisu Wrote:...and Mr. Carter arrived on Barsoom naked as well... Give Disney a little slack here.
Could be worse. Could be made by the same people who made The Watchmen. We'd get a reasonably faithful reproduction... but it would probably be gratuitous in the extreme.

(Still remember seeing it in the theater and some random girl next to me gushing, "Finally! MALE NUDITY! YES! YES!")

Quite simply I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt between now and March. As to the 3d vs 2d thing, I've not enough data to chime in; the 3 I've seen in 3d so far (Tron 2.0, Hugo, and TinTin) seem to have had the benifit of 3d being planned into it from the start.

As to little things like Nudity and skin color... I think that we're picking nits. Even if it wasn't a production overseen by Disney we'd have the 'they wear to much' issue since it is meant for prudish American audiences and they probably wanted to avoid a R to NC-17. And they may have not been able to get much more tint to the human skin, hence the more muted skin colors. So they get the benefit of the doubt till I actually see it.

On the way out of TinTin I saw a cardboard promo standup that had Carter facing two large white hairy things. It bugged me then that my recollection of the books was disindexed enough that I couldn't ID them on sight. But I think they were either the White Apes from near the S. Pole (appear sometime in books 3-4, I think?) or maybe someone went really bonzo on the Green's riding thoats. Can anyone confirm or deny which?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:As to little things like Nudity and skin color... I think that we're picking nits. Even if it wasn't a production overseen by Disney we'd have the 'they wear to much' issue since it is meant for prudish American audiences and they probably wanted to avoid a R to NC-17. And they may have not been able to get much more tint to the human skin, hence the more muted skin colors. So they get the benefit of the doubt till I actually see it.
On the way out of TinTin I saw a cardboard promo standup that had Carter facing two large white hairy things. It bugged me then that my recollection of the books was disindexed enough that I couldn't ID them on sight. But I think they were either the White Apes from near the S. Pole (appear sometime in books 3-4, I think?) or maybe someone went really bonzo on the Green's riding thoats. Can anyone confirm or deny which?
Carter fights several of the White Apes in Princess of Mars while living among the Tharks. They inhabited one or more of the empty towers in the ruins that the Green Martians used as their temporary homes.
Also, I am aware that I'm totally nitpicking. It's nothing big and it will definitely not prevent me from watching the film. It will be awesome and I will be thrilled by it.

Ebony the Black Dragon