Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPG "BWAH" moments...

I got a "Bwah?" moment last year in a D&D 3.5 game where a new player was joining an adventuring party. He decided to play a paladin. At the time we were exploring a different dimension to find a keystone or somesuch to prevent an apocalypse back home. So we come upon a temple with the paladin and his flying mount encased in a block of hardened ice which was promptly thawed by our resident wizards. After some language trouble we discover that the paladin had been in stasis for essentially centuries and wanted to know what we were questing for. The rogue in the party who happens to be lawful evil decides to help the GM out by explaining the backstory to our quest both in character and backed up by sincere performance rolls to make it nice and entertaining and appealing to the character. At the end of the presentation the paladin goes, "Ahuh. I see. Well I wish you good luck on your quest and my heartfelt gratitude for thawing me from my prison. I bid you farewell." And then walks out the front doors leaving the rest of the party going huh?

All this without the paladin casting a detect evil spell too!

robkelk Wrote:
Foxboy Wrote:Technomancer setting: A complicated "Cold War Bomb Shelter" dungeon filled with Fonzie-alike vampires. The team's spellslinger "dragon slaved" the corridors so he had a straight shot out instead of twisty li'l corridors all alike. So I'm sitting there with the map. Flat look at the caster's player. Slowly and deliberately wad up the map and toss it over my shoulder.

Was this before or after Nanoha StrikerS? Fanart
Before, by several years, but unsurprisingly, the player is a HUGE Nanoha fan.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

A failed "bwah!" moment happened to a GM friend of mine who was running a D&D(ish?) campaign.  The party came across an enormous room that was completely empty.  But the entire floor responded to "detect trap" spells.  They spent hours of real time trying to figure out what the heck was up with the room (before setting foot on the trapped floor) before giving up and backtracking.

My GM-friend was crushed.  You see, the floor was an elevator platform that, when the party stepped on it, would have taken them on an express ride straight down to the chambers housing what the elevator was intended to carry: a fully-armed, lightly-sleeping late-mark Bolo.  Yes, he brought a Bolo into a D&D campaign.  He apparently had some epic plans for said Bolo.  And all that effort, wasted.