Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What an annoying thhing to start the New Year
What an annoying thhing to start the New Year
Was going to buy mud guards for the car and had to buy a new monitor cuz the old one just gave up the ghost. *sigh*
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'm very sorry to say I can top that. I really wish I couldn't.
My computer's been giving me trouble for a while, and I've been putting off replacing it.  But on Monday the 23rd, I was waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so I could turn left into my sister's driveway, when a seventeen-year-old in a red SUV rear-ended my car ... shoving me in front of the last car in the oncoming lane. I wasn't seriously injured; neither, to the best of my knowledge, were either of the other drivers, but the car that served me well for nearly eleven years, and that I once described on this forum as the "best [blasphemy deleted] car I've ever driven," is a total loss. And I had to buy a replacement. It'll be a while longer putting up with the computer problems.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

.... Insurance?

From what your describing its the other drivers fault (the 17 yr old) and you can claim on their insurance.

At least I think you can... well you could if you were in Australia (Compulsory Third Party)... at least that's been the case anytime one of my family has been in an accident.

An eleven year old car is probably being evaluated as highly depreciated by the insurance, so he probably wouldn't get the cost of a full new car reimbursed.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Ouch. A similar thing happened to me and the insurance on an old car really doesn't cover replacement.

I got $1731.00 from the insurance company (the car was actually close to twenty years old; I bought it used for $3500.00). And losing that particular auto distresses me more than the cost of replacing it. Its gas mileage blew just about everything short of hybrids completely out of the water (27mpg under the worst city conditions, highway sometimes topping 45mpg), and there was a strong sentimental attachment, too.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

That's something that's kinda annoyed me with insurance companies. They'll only give you the 'value' of your car, not the money to buy something with similar capability.

blackaeronaut Wrote:That's something that's kinda annoyed me with insurance companies. They'll only give you the 'value' of your car, not the money to buy something with similar capability.

And charge you twice the value of the thing in premiums every year because the law requires you to buy insurance.... to the point where the fine had to go up because people were better of paying the fine, than paying for car insurance. Which is taxed with VAT at 21%

Obscene. Insurance needs better regulation. There's a reason why it's leveraged by the stock market, and it isn't just so the insurers can make money out of it. Really, once you do pay for the value of your car in premiums, that should be that. The compound interest that is made with that money should be enough to keep ahead of the price of a new car (or at least a better one), even as the cost of new cars escalates with inflation.

Except that not every claim is made for the complete replacement value of a car. An auto owner can make multiple claims over the life of his car for repairs that may total thousands of dollars yet not merit complete replacement of the car. Plus there are administrative costs that are factored in -- what it costs to manage the policy, fees and whatnot for the investments that hold the policy's funds, even things as small as paper and the postage on the bills they send you. (And regardless of what you might think, that last bit is a fact of economics and independent of whatever business you might discuss -- those kinds of things have to be paid for from somewhere, and it doesn't matter whether you say so explicitly or not, it gets averaged out across all the sources of income the company has. And in the case of insurance companies, that income is going to be premiums and dividends/interest earned on premiums.)

As for regulation, you may not realize it BA, but insurance is very heavily regulated. Incredibly so. I know -- for twenty years I worked for a company that was elbows-deep in the insurance industry without being an insurer itself. Yes, insurance companies get away with a lot -- and yes, it's sometimes too much. *cough*Allstate*cough* But what they do get away with is a bare fraction of what they could without current regulation.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Also insurance, at least in the UK doesn't cover just the damage to your car. It covers damage to the car you hit. Your car may be a piece of junk, but if you hit a rolls and put the passenger in a wheelchair and it's your fault, it's your insurance that has to cover the cost of that. If it's not your fault, your insurer only has to cover your costs until they can get the other guy's insurer to cough up. The most basic type of insurance is third party, which means it only covers the damage you do to others. If you wreck your own car, you get zip.

That's a good point, Jinx. Several states in the US also have mandatory no-fault coverage, which includes not only collision coverage for both your car and any other you might hit, but also personal injury coverage for anyone hurt in the accident. I didn't bring that up, though, because it's not universal here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Third party only is the mandatory minimum coverage. It's still spectacularly frustrating to be paying more than a car's worth..... annually. Before getting to fuel costs. If you're under 30 in this country, car insurance is a case of 'Bend over'.... it really is.

Which, ironically, has a negative effect on road safety, because it means younger people are stuck driving older, unsafe cars which are far more likely to fall to bits in an accident.

Anyway, it's something of a digression.