Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And my annoyance is back...
And my annoyance is back...
It's been almost a year since it last appeared, but on Friday my intermittent Net connection failure problem came back.  And as of last night, it dropped and nothing that I and the telephone tech support folks at Comcast can do is able to fix it; it's been dead for about 9 hours as of the moment I type this.  I've got a tech coming out to the house tomorrow night, and hopefully he can fix it.  Until then, though, no COH and no appearances here outside of work hours.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Is it just your internet or cable tv also (digital mostly?)  I had problems a couple of years ago where Comcast decided to lower the signal level to my neighborhood.  Everything worked fine until then.  Once they lowered the signal level I started experiencing loss of digital tv (freezing, etc) AND my cable modem would stop getting a sync every once in a while.  I had them come out and they tried to tell me the cabling in the house had to be replaced as it was "the wrong type".  As they put it in I was not happy with this.
In the end, I purchased a Motorola BDA amp (the BDA-K4/RA/PS), the power inserter and some 75 Ohm terminators for the unused ports.)  It gave me a 7dB increase in the signal and I've had no problems since.  As I don't have a basement I had to mount the unit on the outside of the house and didn't have a power outlet handy.  I used the power inserter to send the power to the unit from an outlet inside the house.  All parts, including a security screw for attaching the unit to the house, ran me less than $100.

Nope, only the cable. In fact, I had a brief discussion with phone support guy last night about it. Turns out, basically, the Net signal is a lot less robust than the cable tv signal, and the least little drop in strength disappears it.

Last couple times they "fixed" the problem, including this last time that lasted a year, it turned out to be a connector outside where the wire enters the house. And come to think of it, I had a tree leaning on that wire back at the end of August -- I'll bet the connection got loosened as a result. Gotta mention that to the tech who'll be coming out tomorrow.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, chalk this one up in the "Bwah...?" column. Net connection is back. Cable TV is now dead.

Thank gods I've got that tech coming.
-- Bob
---------

The squirrels in your attic can't make up their minds?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...