Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"John Carter" - oh, dear...
"John Carter" - oh, dear...
Ottawa Sun review
tl;dr: The reviewer (who's read the Barsoom books) compares the movie - unfavorably - to Dune and Star Wars Episode 1.

Whoever's going, please post a review afterward so I know whether I should go...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ok.

I just came from the movie and I have to say it's definitely worth seeing in the theatre. If you have read the book, I say the movie is a rather faithful interpretation. The graphics are PHENOMENAL!! The Story is FANTASTIC. I want to go back and SEE IT AGAIN!
EDIT: ... oh, I almost forgot.  There's a running joke that goes for a fair amount time though the movie.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I haven't read the books, and my brother (who has read the books and saw the 3D version with me today) noted some pretty big discrepancies... but I'm putting that down to the Disney folks taking a bit of creative license with the story.

You know, I have to wonder what the hell is up with critics these days. Can't these people just unpucker their sphincters and enjoy a show? Not everything is gonna be Life is Beautiful.

The reviews I've seen are all over the place. Entertainment Weekly gave it a D. My local newspaper gave it three stars and indicated that it was better than the Star Wars prequels. Author Peter David (www.peterdavid.net) really liked it.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

*Cracks Knuckles*

I went and saw John Carter this past Friday and I have to say this movie was fantastic. First and foremost, I've recently become a huge fan of the Barsoom series. Having been a geek for as long as I have, I'd been surprised to discover I'd never really heard of Barsoom (sans maybe in brief passing) and never knew how much it influenced what I loved as a geek. So, when I first saw the trailer, I got into it in a big way. I've currently read all of the comics and am working my way through the novels (Hell, made a CoH character based on an aspect of Barsoom). My knowledge is not vast regarding it, but my inner fanboy feels a connection to Burrough's work.

It's important to note, I am not a purist. I do not need to see an exact replica of a beloved work appear on the big screen so long as it is somewhat faithful to it (i.e. Asylum's Princess of Mars movie *shudder*). For this movie, it's about 50/50. There were many faithful aspects to this film and many (mostly the plot) that were not. The general premise of John Carter's adventure (Travel to Mars, find the princess, save the day) is there, with some of the events, in a general sense play out accordingly, with slight differences. Many of the designs of places (such as the city of Hellium) felt true and, despite that reviewer's opinion (and, somewhat limited eyesight I'd say) even the looks of the Red martians looked somewhat accurate. They appeared somewhat reddish tan [Tattoos not withstanding] and distinctly stood out compared to John Carter himself.

Though some things (Such as the nature of the Therns [Heck, even there BEING Therns in this movie] were not quite so accurate. How Carter got to Mars is not quite how he does in the books. The movie was even a little liberal with its interpretation of the location of city of Zodanga (something that was never really confirmed by Burroughs). And, of course, there were plenty of tropes (including, I believe, the Wilhelm Scream).

But, I didn't care. Because to me, Barsoom did it first. The fact that Burrough's works influenced so much of what I love as a geek, It mattered little. And, in an odd way, I felt like Burrough's work influenced the changes they made to the movie...about Burrough's work (odd way to think about it, but it feels weirdly appropriate).

So, all in all, should you see this? ABSOLUTELY. If you are not an overall purist, this movie is a fantastic, fast ride across the surface of Mars and, feels quite faithful to the original works (Despite all the changes), and is a film I plan to see again ASAP.

Assuming I can remember where I parked my Thoat.

I am actually going to chime in here, and add my two bits.

It was indeed fantastic. The special effects managed to be well done without being so overblown as to distract from the story (*cough*avatar*cough*).

The action and story was tight enough that even at 2 hours and change the movie almost felt short.

The acting was very well done, despite having no real heavyweights. If this doesn't launch a few solid careers it will be a shame.

To toss in another penny...

I agree, Vlad. While I don't think it suffered from it's length, it could only have gotten better with a little more time. I'd love to see some kind of extended cut of this movie.
Unfortunately, it seems it didn't do so well at the Box Offices this weekend.

Howard Tayler chimes in with his review

http://www.schlockmercena.../blog/john-carter-review
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

I just saw this today and liked it. There were some scenes that I think the 3D filming process may've subtlety F'd up, cause I saw it in 2D so I wonder how the blu-ray/DVD transfer will handle those scenes.

And I now have a reference for this ancient cosplay [Image: medium.jpg]

Er... BwahHUH???

Okay. I want to know a few things about that pic. 

How old is it? What year? (Photo quality suggests older than the 90s at least)

Is it photo-shopped? If not... then... HOW??? Is it a mannequin top half sitting on the cosplayer's shoulders? Because if it is, either the paint and make up was incredibly well matched, or the photography lighting is really helping smooth out the differences. 

I think I see just the slightest hint of gloss on the top half which might indicate some kind of plastic or other material under the paint. 

Come to think of it - I think I can see how the harnesses would help keep everything together. 

But if the dude's head is behind the "stomach" of the top half, then how is he able to see anything? Or breath, for that matter? Or is this a case of "Put the thing on, take the pictures, and get it the HELL off quickly!" ?

You can do wonders with Periscopes and, if needed, breathing tube. It may be too much to attribute to cosplay (not to mention uncomfortable); but given the effort put into the visually apparent parts, I wouldn't put it past him.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Ah good points. 

But wow. I'm still thinking I'd be scrambling to get it OFF of me in under 15 minutes. Not only would it be hot and uncomfortable (though the skimpiness of the rest of the costume might alleviate the heat issue). But if using a periscope to see, I can imagine it would get quite disorientating fairly quickly. 

Still - I've seen stuff as - or even more - extreme than that before. I remember the Giant Robo costume that stomped on stage at the 1999 San Diego Comic Con. That was epic. 

According to the page I grabbed it from, it dates back to sometime in the 1970's, it's possibly from Discon III, so 1974. There's also a Princess Dejah on the same page who I think's being cross-played and is theoretically closer to being book accurate then what appeared in the movie. Other then that the rest of the costumes on that page fit almost into the current "No costume is NO Costume" rule. Or are something seen at Dragon*con adults-only zone.

--Rod.H

Logan Darklighter Wrote:I remember the Giant Robo costume that stomped on stage at the 1999 San Diego Comic Con. That was epic.
I personally know the guy!!  ...and helped him with it. Yea, the moment he got off-stage he was shedding it as quickly as possible. (while trying not to ruin it. He told me that some company offered him some serious penny for the costume.)
_____

Kurisu Wrote:
Logan Darklighter Wrote:I remember the Giant Robo costume that stomped on stage at the 1999 San Diego Comic Con. That was epic.
I personally know the guy!!  ...and helped him with it. Yea, the moment he got off-stage he was shedding it as quickly as possible. (while trying not to ruin it. He told me that some company offered him some serious penny for the costume.)
WOW!!! Really? Tell him for me that he's still remembered by many of us old-school anime fans who were there. It was so very much a "SQUEEEE!!!" moment. Seriously jaw dropping.
And how'd you help? Construction? Or backstage helping him stay upright and pointed the right way? Either way - applause to you for helping.

Giant Robo? Old School?

Now I feel like a geezer.

- CD, remembers when it as the hot new release...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:CD, remembers when it as the hot new release...
Really old geezer
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Kurisu Wrote:
I personally know the guy!! ...and helped him with it. Yea, the moment he got off-stage he was shedding it as quickly as possible. (while trying not to ruin it. He told me that some company offered him some serious penny for the costume.)
WOW!!! Really? Tell him for me that he's still remembered by many of us old-school anime fans who were there. It was so very much a "SQUEEEE!!!" moment. Seriously jaw dropping.
And how'd you help? Construction? Or backstage helping him stay upright and pointed the right way? Either way - applause to you for helping.
During the construction I was only a tool monkey, painter, and cutter. During the Con I was a Stage Ninja / Anime Room worker / Photo Pit wrangler. (sigh) Those were the days....
(BTW, I know it's not Comic-Con footage, but it's the Costume.)

_____