Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Errors
Possible Errors
I loved the Step but noticed some possible errors. Sorry if I'm vague with citations, but I noticed the errors over a year ago, tried to join the board (user name Essex), failed several times to access the boards, failed in my attempts to correct the problem, and didn't try to rejoin until after I recently moved.
1). Lisa asked Nene to investigate Doug. Nene had a hardsuit screencapture picture of Doug from a boomer attack. Why didn't Nene notice the link? While it is easily believable that she just didn't connect the two events it may have been better if Nene was left with a nagging thought that she'd seen the guy somewhere before so that she could have a 'forehead slap' moment later.
2). Sylia plans to make older bodies for the rescued child boomer but Doug's earlier research on boomers would imply that boomers die after about 15 years. Since Sylia didn't yet know that Doug's nanovirus would extend boomer lives, why would she be making long term plans for a boomer that was already several years old?
3). Doug gave the horoscope boomers samples of his boomer virus. Why? Given what had already been established they should be able to spread it just by touching things.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Re: Possible Errors
Hi, Shepherd. I haven't seen your first posting to the board yet -- I presume it's in a forum I haven't yet looked at this morning -- but I think I'll take the opportunity to welcome you to the boards right now.
To answer your questions:
1. Well, no answer yet. I'll have to go back and look at the scenes in question and reconstruct what I was thinking. Remember, too, that DW5 was written over the course of five years, and I did make some continuity glitches over that time -- for example, I wrote the scene of Doug finding Stingray's initials in the boomer brain circuitry into two different chapters, and had to cut it out of the latter one. This may well be a simple "forgot what I was doing" error.
2. As Rob notes below, Sylia had all the development notes for boomers. And the "time limit" was not one of inherent structure, but of waste management -- she'd only have to fix/improve one system instead of rebuilding the brain from the ground up. And if Doug could whip up a solution from scratch in spare time at work, Sylia could certainly do it better with a year or two of dedicated research and her father's notes.
3. Because it was easier to culture/fab mass quantities of Leo-A that way.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: Possible Errors
I can't give definitive answers for the Step, but I am the current BGC FAQ maintainer, so...
I'll skip question 1.
Quote:
2). Sylia plans to make older bodies for the rescued child boomer but Doug's earlier research on boomers would imply that boomers die after about 15 years. Since Sylia didn't yet know that Doug's nanovirus would extend boomer lives, why would she be making long term plans for a boomer that was already several years old?
Sylia knows a lot more about Boomers than Doug does. Not only was she the daughter of the man who invented them, she's also got a data cartidge with all the original Boomer technology on it. (This was seen in the very first episode of the OAV series; I believe it isn't in Bob's story, but it is canon.)
Who are you going to trust for a technical opinion, a dilettante or an expert?
Quote:
3). Doug gave the horoscope boomers samples of his boomer virus. Why? Given what had already been established they should be able to spread it just by touching things.
That's one way to spread the virus, but not the only way. I suspect Doug wanted to give the zodiac Boomers more options...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012