Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Battles Forums
Space Battles Forums
They are currently going under a migration to new forum software. It may be opened to non-registered viewers again soon.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Do you think the search will work? There's a few posts I made a while back on there, which I've been wanting to find.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

That as well as the thread length limits were why they were migrating.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

I take it the lawsuit has finally been resolved then. It's still not back up at this time.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I had been unaware of a lawsuit.

-- James Nicoll

Xenforo is being developed by people who left vBulletin after VBulletin was bought out.

And SB's still down. But it sort of makes sense when you stop and consider just how massive the database of posts actually is there. I think their twitter feed gives it as something like 8 million.

You know I had recently stumpbled across a MLP/Gleen Lantern animated series fic on spacebattle that I was going to mention/link here. I figured I'd do it after work, obnly when I got home, they had started the move.

It's up on FiMFiction.net... I just can't find it easily is all.

-- James Nicoll

Not up again after 4 days . . . .

It's a big database to migrate. Don't they have something like 15k distinct visitors daily?

Remember part of the reason for the migration is because the database for the old forums couldn't handle it.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

Transferring all the old posts took almost two days. There was a comment on their twitter that there was over eight million posts. That's a lot of nonsense :lol

I'm calling it not being ready until like... Monday afternoon at the earliest

-- James Nicoll

Good news, they've confirmed that guest access will be available again once they're done with the transfer.

I hope that Spacebattles will be a fully operational battlestation forum when they're done. Part of the issue they're dealing with is that the old DESIGN of the database couldn't keep up, so not only do they have to migrate the data, they have to change how it's stored and accessed as well. With data likely in the hundreds of Gigabytes, I'm not surprised this is taking days.
After thinking about it, taking the forum down is better than forgetting a week's* worth of posts, IMO. *shrug*
 * yup, that's my guess for total downtime.

Well the good news is that the forums should be back sometime today.

Yaaay.

-- James Nicoll

It just reopened.

And promptly crashed under the weight of everyone trying to pile back in.

Of course.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Dartz Wrote:And promptly crashed under the weight of everyone trying to pile back in.
This made me laugh.  This whole time being down and they didn't think that the entire collective wasn't gonna dogpile that sucker?  HAH!

They probably thought about it, but there is only so much they can do without getting additional hardware, and that costs money.

Hahahahaha...ah...this just made my long day all that much better.

And it looks like their forums have fallen over again. Sad Not that these forums are in a much better state at the moment.

Step one for properly un-frakking a db/forum caving under a mountain of old posts:

Set up a system to archive the old hosts into a separate read-only db/forum after a thread has gone X days without being updated.

File-cache that archive.

That lets you truncate/optimize the "live" db and keep it manageable.

Well it looks like the forums are down again.

Back again.

Edit: Looks like it's not accepting new posts at the moment. Still got the old stuff up though.

-- James Nicoll