Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels (etc.) in anime...?
Angels (etc.) in anime...?
If I'm tracking the In Nomine rulebook collection correctly, the only book that isn't on e23 now is In Nomine Anime. So, before I actually need it, I thought an updated list of anime with angels, demons, Heaven and Hell, and so on might be useful. (That book is over a decade old now...)

For those who don't know In Nomine, the characters don't have to be classical angels, demons, etc., but they do have to be recognizable as such if you squint the right way. Reflections of Abrahamic faiths are ideal (to match the same distorted reflection found in In Nomine), but aren't essential.

Stage 1 is making the list - I started that process over on rec.arts.anime.misc yesterday. Stage 2 is describing the shows in In Nomine terms - anybody want to help here? (I'm not familiar with some of these shows...)

The list so far, with the writeups so far:

Aa Megami-sama (Ah! My Goddess!) (Kousuke Fujishima, 1993, 2005-2007, 2011)
See In Nomine Anime under Oh My Goddess!, although Belldandy is a Servitor of Faith, not Flowers.

Angel Sanctuary
See In Nomine Anime.

Angel Tales/Tails (Hiroaki Maki and Mari Okada, 2001)

Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist) (Kazue Kato, 2011)

Ayashi no Ceres (Ceres Celestial Legend)
See In Nomine Anime.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan (Masaki Okayu and Tsutomu Mizushima, 2005)
Dokuro-chan and Sabato-chan say they're angels, but from the way they act, it's better to think of them as slightly-Discordant Habbalah... with the comedy dial turned up to 11.

Chrono Crusade (Daisuke Moriyama, 2003)

Cutey Honey (Go Nagai, 1973, 1994, 1997, 2004)

Death Note (Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ohba, 2006)

Devilman (Go Nagai, 1972, 1987)

Dororon Enma-kun (Demon Prince Enma) (Go Nagai, 1973, 2006, 2011)
The adventures of an anti-demon Triad ... who aren't all Servitors of Judgment.

Earthian
See In Nomine Anime.

Escaflowne
See In Nomine Anime.

Haibane Renmei (Yoshitoshi ABe, 2002)

Hanappe Bazooka (Go Nagai and Kazuo Koike, 1992)
A couple of Andrealphans ... "help" ... a teenaged boy with his desires while indulging in their own with his relatives. (Yes, this one's an 18+ title... but that's true of any reference for Lusties.)

Haunted Junction
See In Nomine Anime.

High School DxD (Ichiei Ishibumi and Takao Yoshioka, 2012)
Issei become the Servant of his high-school classmate, the high-ranking (and beautiful) demon Riasu.

Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl) (Takahiro Omori and others, 2005)

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu (Hare+Guu) (Renjuro Kindaichi, 2001)
The Ethereal Guu makes Haré's life miserable, but he's too good a person to let her torment someone else.

Kamichu! ("Besame Mucho," 2005)
Yurie wakes up one morning to discover she's become a Shinto god. Somebody's given her Ethereal and Celestial Connections and a lot of Secret Songs... The series gives a modern (and highly-gameable) twist to the Shinto deities and their Ethereal Domain.

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (Arina Tanemura, 1999)
Marron is a Saint of the Wind, tasked in this life to protect others from demonic artwork. She has a companion Reliever, Finn, for most of the series – and the end of the story hinges on Finn's Fate and Destiny.

Kamisama Kazoku (Yoshikazu Kuwashima, 2006)
A family of Ethereals live on Earth to learn what it means to be human.

Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (Eri Takenashi, 2008)
A local goddess assumes human form almost by accident, and strives to gain the worship of the people she protects.

Kobato. (Studio CLAMP, 2009)

Lupin III: Castle Cagliostro
See In Nomine Anime.

Magic Knight Rayearth (Studio CLAMP, 1994)
What happens when three teenagers get pulled into an Ethereal Domain? A quest, of course... but not the sort of quest they were expecting. A good example of why you can't assume anything when visiting somebody else's Domain.

Makai Senki Disgaea (Kiyotaka Isako and Atsuhiro Tomioka, 2006)

Miracle Melmo

Neon Genesis Evangelion
See In Nomine Anime.

Ninja Scroll
See In Nomine Anime.

Omishi Magical Theater: Risky Safety (Rei Omishi, 1999)
Risky is an Impudite of Saminga; Safety is a Seraph of Novalis; both are currently on probation, trying to regain their respective Superiors' favor. For an ineffable reason which is shown but not explained midway through the series, they share the same (rather small) Vessel. Now they have to carry out their assigned duties and sabotage each other's work in the middle of a slowly-growing group of Symphonically-Aware humans.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (Studio GAINAX, 2010)
Two Outcasts set up shop as ghost-exterminators... with the comedy set to maximum.

Pita Ten (Koge Donbo, 2002)

Rental Magica (Makoto Sanda, 2007)
In a world where magic is just another profession, a Sorceror has to be extremely Willful to stand out. Adelicia is such a Sorceror – one who dares to summon the likes of Furfur and Asomedus (or, at least, demons using those names).

Revolutionary Girl Utena
See In Nomine Anime.

Rozen Maiden ("Peach-Pit," 2004)

Sailor Moon
See In Nomine Anime.

Saint Tail

Serial Experiments Lain

Shuffle!

Spirited Away

Steel Angel Kurumi

Super Book

Tenshi ni Narumon (I Want to Be an Angel)
See In Nomine Anime.

Viper GTS

X/1999
See In Nomine Anime.

Yondemasu yo Azazel-san
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I do own In Nomine Anime. Looking at the filmography, I can add:
  • Ayashi no Ceres
  • Haunted Junction
  • Castle of Cagliostro is given as an example of how Angels of Wind should act.
And there are few REAL stretches

Magic Knight Reyheart? Not that familiar with in-nomine, but I would think that cephiro is on the etherial plane or whatever, it is after-all a realm maintained by pure prayer of a winged humanoid. Possibly a stretch, as I said not familiar with IN besides Gryphons works.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Yue from Cardcaptor Sakura might qualify as well.

Pretty much everything directly related to the Book of Darkness from Nanoha that didn't stick around might count. The Guardian Program drew heavily from the Beast of Revelations, and when Hayate synced with the original Reinforce, she basically became an angel (archangel? I can't recall how many wings she had). Also, the number of the Book's pages was 666, so yeah...

Madoka Magica spoilers:
Also, Father in Full Metal Alchemist
The Sins would probably count as anti-angels, following that.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Let's start working on the In Nomine-style writeups, shall we?

Edit: consolidated with the list in the first post of the thread. More to follow, and contributions are welcome...
--
Rob Kelk

Jorlem, I'm not sure whether I can use any of those... but I'm not dismissing them yet, either.
--
Rob Kelk

Working my way down the list... I deleted a few titles (just because guys have wings doesn't make them angels) and wrote very-short descriptions for other titles.

If I skipped writing a description for an anime, it's because either I don't know enough about the anime to tell what the In Nomine take on it is, or because I'm still trying to figure out how to write a short description of the title, or because I haven't gone that far down the list yet (I've made it to "Sailor Moon").
--
Rob Kelk

How about that new mythos anime. The one that turns nyarlytothep into a little girl? It's my understanding that the mythos can kinda fit into In Nomine.

I would love to help with writeups but I don't know IN.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

Jigoku Shoujo looks like it could go a lot of different ways.
Habbalite is given the Word of Self-Destructive Revenge, and spreads word of a way to get one's enemy sent straight to hell.  Figures it strengthens its' own Word, and punishes humans, all at once.
Servitor of Kronos sets up the scheme as a way of getting people whose Fate is to kill somebody else to do the deed.  Might be lying about damning the other guy.  DEFINITELY not lying about damning the killer.
I could think of a few other ways to make it work, but these two fit IN the best.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

CattyNebulart Wrote:How about that new mythos anime. The one that turns nyarlytothep into a little girl? It's my understanding that the mythos can kinda fit into In Nomine.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san does fit, yes...
--
Rob Kelk

Our Angels Are Different

All of the bits that aren't here already that's under the anime/manga tab. Some fit, some might not.

Also, consider 'Angel beats' (Actually, if you haven't seen this anime, you should try watching it. It's quite excellent)

I would prefer to avoid using TVTropes... (reason)
--
Rob Kelk

Let's see

Wedding Peach. Momoko is actually half-angel. Her mom is a full angel. Her best friend turned boyfriend is half demon.

Steel Angel Kurumi

Princess Tutu
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

robkelk Wrote:Jorlem, I'm not sure whether I can use any of those... but I'm not dismissing them yet, either.
Well, if you've seen Madoka,
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

My usual reaction when someone brings that up;
if it wasn't so spoilerific it might make a good one line summary.