Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not exactly good news
Not exactly good news
I had my 6-month checkup on Monday.  I got a call from my doctor yesterday -- my blood tests came back and I have full blown Type 2 diabetes -- a rather sudden change from my "pre-diabetic" state at my last check-up, which I was trying to alter with dietary changes.  I'm now on Metformin and restructuring my diet further.  

This shouldn't affect my writing, in case you're wondering.  
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ouch. My best wishes.

My Grandmother's had it for nearly 20 years, IIRC..... and she's quite happy. Best wishes also... Smile

Eeek! Well, here's to your health... I'll have a shot of Jamison's in your honor tonight.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I know you've got the self-control to be able to live with this, Bob, so ... keep on keeping on, man.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thanks, people. Helen's been coping with it for a few years now, and she's been giving me advice. It's done a lot to quell my immediate panic.
-- Bob
---------

Diabetes is one of the most studied and manageable disease out there. You'll do fine as long as you keep a mind to your diet.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Oy. I wish you the best.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

*Thumbs up.jpg* My ex, Luann, and her mother both have type 2, as did one of my cousins. Sounds like you have an excellent support in Helen (aka Hex), so dont be afraid to lean on her or even us if you need it.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Agreed on the easily managed part.  As long as you do the managing.  My older brother has been diabetic (can't remember which type) since he was 12.  Best wishes for ya.

Ow. There's nothing helpful I can say, except to echo the best wishes of all the others.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

When I was... 5?  My father went from "fine" to "OMGWTF how is this guy still alive?" Type 1 literally overnight, induced by enormous stress.  And nearly got killed by an incompetent doctor during the first 24hrs.  He's been on daily insulin injections ever since.  About 35 years now, give or take.  And he's been doing pretty well, although the side effects are creeping up on him over time -- he just hit 67, and he has an insulin pump now.  I'm pre-diabetic myself and trying very hard to lose enough weight to avoid tipping over the edge.  Type 1 is definitely not a fun place to be, but even it's manageable.  Type 2 should be moreso.  And the science is far more advanced today than it was when my father presented, so your odds of being able to stay Type 2 and maintain quality of life should be pretty good.

A good friend of mine contracted leukemia, about twenty years ago now. He ended up diabetic not long after, and has been on a limited diet ever since.

Last year, they found a tumor in his brain...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.