Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YAMATO 2199 - New Preview
YAMATO 2199 - New Preview
*KLONG*

(sound of jaw hitting deck percussively)

MY... GOD...

THERE ARE NO WORDS... THERE ARE NO WORDS....

I think I've pre-ordered that -going against my "don't buy the Japanese release of an anime series" rule- pretty much sight unseen due to one thing:- it's got English subs.

*wanders over to CD Japan*

Yep, I'm getting a first presses of both announced BD's and am just waiting on the new Maaya Sakamoto DVD before the first volume comes my way.

Some more coolness from the website. I saved these just in case. I'd like the big one for a poster in my room. Big Grin
[Image: zoom_06_V137140812_1.jpg]

[Image: zoom_03_V137140852_.png]
Quibble
Exceedingly cool visually. As an ardent militarist, though, I have to point out that isolating the ship's captain atop a "batter's tee" for enemies to shoot at, with the bridge crew one level below him, is at least as bad an idea as putting the Enterprise bridge at the bullseye of that giant target they called the main hull. Unless this was designed by NCOs or junior officers hoping the enemy will help them get Klingon promotion.... 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

That's what the Third Bridge is for....

See, what they're actually doing is using cardboard-cutouts to stand up there and draw fire. The real bridge crew is actually somewhere safe.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

DHBirr Wrote:Exceedingly cool visually. As an ardent militarist, though, I have to point out that isolating the ship's captain atop a "batter's tee" for enemies to shoot at, with the bridge crew one level below him, is at least as bad an idea as putting the Enterprise bridge at the bullseye of that giant target they called the main hull. Unless this was designed by NCOs or junior officers hoping the enemy will help them get Klingon promotion.... 
Well to be fair, that's not a combat position. That's just his personal quarters. Not going to be occupied during a fight. 

In addition, they were working to an existing form factor; in the generation of ships when the Yamato was built, the bridge and the flag bridge were intentionally placed as high in the superstructure as possible for a reason... to give the CO and the Admiral as good a field of view of the action as possible; the JIN still used the mark I eyeball to a large extent. It wasnt until the 1980s and large improvements in electronic displays and such that an admiral could work where he couldnt directly see all the ships under his command but still excercise viable tactcial control of the same
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Just watched the first disc -once I'd got over the fact that I paid ~$90 for 50 minutes of show (2 episodes)- man, it sure looks sweet! I didn't notice any oddities in the English sub, but that doesn't mean that some don't exist. Possibly more in the placement of some - a limitation of my player's renderer perhaps.

I'm now definably looking forward to the next disc and am now considering getting more anime on bluray. Just not what I've all ready got on DVD, 'cos a good percentage of my collection is OOP.

--Rod.H

Star Ranger4 Wrote:In addition, they were working to an existing form factor; in the generation of ships when the Yamato was built, the bridge and the flag bridge were intentionally placed as high in the superstructure as possible for a reason... to give the CO and the Admiral as good a field of view of the action as possible; the JIN still used the mark I eyeball to a large extent. It wasnt until the 1980s and large improvements in electronic displays and such that an admiral could work where he couldnt directly see all the ships under his command but still excercise viable tactcial control of the same
It was more than the JIN at the time. Yes, you might have had some radar and radio assist, but overall, you still had to rely on MKI eyeballs and MKII binoculars for most of your battlefield information.
Besides, I've basically been taking some of the "brought along for the ride" design decisions inherent in the rebuilt Yamato as being in part making her into a symbol for those on Earth, as much as trying to make as much use of the space of the disguise as they could.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Honestly? You can rationalize some of it in a technical sense. But at some level, I think it's best to just let pure logic go out the window and just accept the idea of wet navy/ Battleships! In! Space!! 
Rule of Cool, y'know? ^_^
Doesn't mean I'm not going SQUEEEEE!!!! At all the little bits of extra technical detail and all the attempts to make everything fit more closely to reason etc. Just at the end of the day if it doesn't all quite add up logically I'm just going to roll with it. Y'know? ^_^

Logan Darklighter Wrote:Honestly? You can rationalize some of it in a technical sense. But at some level, I think it's best to just let pure logic go out the window and just accept the idea of wet navy/ Battleships! In! Space!! 
Rule of Cool, y'know? ^_^
Doesn't mean I'm not going SQUEEEEE!!!! At all the little bits of extra technical detail and all the attempts to make everything fit more closely to reason etc. Just at the end of the day if it doesn't all quite add up logically I'm just going to roll with it. Y'know? ^_^
...And so we sayeth in the name of Skuld the Ravenhaired, Amen.  Wink

Well, theYamato is in a million pieces right now in bottom of the ocean. Where I was in the planning committee to convert a wet-navy dreadnaught into a space going cruiser, I would had pointed out that there are currently  3 battleships of the Iowa class  and 1 battleship of  the New York class sitting at anchor perfectly preserved. For the money spent resurrecting the Yamato, you can have a battleship squadron!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Ord, they're Japanese. A bit of nationalism is bound to factor into it. Besides, when the anime originally aired no one knew exactly what condition the Yamato was in on the ocean floor.
Only a *little* off-topic
I've mentioned this once before, a couple-three years ago, but in a novella Eric Flint wrote (as a sequel to David Drake's Ranks of Bronze), there's a scene that's almost certainly a shout out to Yamato, featuring the Missouri turned into a spaceship with X-ray lasers firing through her 16" guns.   

Quote:Again, there was an exotic combination of old and new technology. The three great turrets of the ancient battleship swiveled, just as if it were still sailing the Pacific. But the ... incredible laser beams which pulsed out of each turret's three retrofitted barrels were something new to the galaxy.... Only a ship as enormous as the old Missouri could use these lasers. It took an immense hull capacity to hold the magnetic fusion bottles....
-----
Liquid Blue Electric DEATH!
DHBirr Wrote:I've mentioned this once before, a couple-three years ago, but in a novella Eric Flint wrote (as a sequel to David Drake's Ranks of Bronze), there's a scene that's almost certainly a shout out to Yamato, featuring the Missouri turned into a spaceship with X-ray lasers firing through her 16" guns.   

Quote:Again, there was an exotic combination of old and new technology. The three great turrets of the ancient battleship swiveled, just as if it were still sailing the Pacific. But the ... incredible laser beams which pulsed out of each turret's three retrofitted barrels were something new to the galaxy.... Only a ship as enormous as the old Missouri could use these lasers. It took an immense hull capacity to hold the magnetic fusion bottles....

Oooh sweet. Big Grin 
What's the name of this story? Novella you say? Is it part of a larger anthology?

Heh. Shock cannons. That reminds me of something. Steering back on topic sort of. Funny story time -  

This is another bit of shameless SMOF-ing here. But I am directly (along with Dave G. Wilson, Amy Howard's husband) responsible for the name of a common drink mix that shows up at "Dessloktoberfest" held at Anime Weekend Atlanta as well as other Star Blazers/Yamato fan shindigs from time to time. 

We were having a fun back and forth at a panel at AWA (the 1999 one I believe) on a panel with the voice actors. Amy (Nova) and Tom Tweedy (Venture) were there. And a discussion on voice acting drifted into talking about sound and sound effects in general. I was pointing out how innovative some of the distinctive sounds of the show were and wondering/speculating about how they were produced at the time since the show originally came out in '74 or so. And though there was -some- electronic sampling of sound possible with it being the dawn of the synthesizer age (Moog) and all. Still - one had to wonder how certain sounds came to be. After all, the distinctive sound of the TIE fighter's blasters in Star Wars had been partially produced via Ben Burke going out and whanging on high tension support wires for antennae towers and recording that for sampling! 

How then were certain sounds like the shock cannons and wave motion gun done? We didn't know the answer at the time. But we were having fun speculating for a few minutes. I was trying to think of some real world sounds that could have been mixed together to produce such sounds. I was enthusiastic, but slightly flummoxed at how to describe in words what the main gun turrets/shock cannons of the Yamato sounded like, when I blurted out, 

"... I mean, really? Where DID they get that sound? It's like... like... Liquid Blue Electric DEATH!!!" 

Which for some reason, Dave found enormously funny. (He later said it was my vocal delivery. The way my voice rose in volume/emphasis across the phrase "Liquid Blue Electric DEATH!" that killed him.) And he fired back, laughing, "that sounds like an awesome mixed drink! Liquid Blue Electric Death!"   

And someone else chimed in, "yeah - but it's got to be LITERALLY blue! Like a Gamilon drink!"  

"Ooh! Kahlua? Gotta have a REAL kick to it though, mixed with vodka maybe?" 

And I was laughing and getting into it now, "Oh yes, certainly! Liquid Blue Electric DEATH! Two shots of this and you're GOING DOWN!"  ^_^

And so it is - at many Yamato parties at cons. And most certainly at Dessloktoberfest at AWA, look around. There should be a punch bowl of brightly, nearly neon blue alcoholic punch. I've had some. It tastes great!

Watch your ass, drinking that stuff, though, because it's Liquid Blue Electric DEATH!!! ^_^

Quote:What's the name of this story? Novella you say? Is it part of a larger anthology?
The novella is "Carthago Delenda Est" in the anthology Foreign Legions, which is listed under David Drake's name because all the stories inside are inspired by Ranks of Bronze. The Yamato shout out is really pretty short, because the enemy wasn't nearly as well prepared to fight as the Gamilons. "Curb-stomp battle" may actually give them too much credit for putting up a fight.
In honor of which, I use the sig...
-----

I think its also part of the "Excalibur Alternative"
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children