Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lady Mondegreen, meet Richard Stands. "Charmed." "My pleasure."
Lady Mondegreen, meet Richard Stands. "Charmed." "My pleasure."
I was reading a collection of Charles Osgood's humorous essays, and came across a mondegreen by another name. Osgood wrote:

Quote:Richard Stands is mentioned in no American history book, yet to countless schoolchildren over the years he has been a central figure in American life. Many is the schoolchild who each morning pledges allegiance, not only to the flag of the United States of America, but also to "the republic for Richard Stands." Never mind that you don't know who this Stands fellow is. You figure the teacher will get to that later in the year.
Osgood also mentioned a number of children who believe they're asking "Our Father Who art in Heaven" not to lead them into "Penn Station." (Dreadful place; have you seen the bathrooms?)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Mondegreens are why thousands of children raised in the Christian faith believe that God's name is Harold (Our Father, who art in Heaven, Harold be Thy name...).
And I even heard a live recording of Jimi Hendrix acknowledging (in a roundabout way) a common mondegreen in "Purple Haze." He does not actually sing, "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" but rather "Excuse me while I kiss this... policeman over here!" (obviously clowning around with one of the security on stage).
Never heard John Fogerty actually give directions to the bathroom, though.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I recall seeing a video of him up on stage where he used those lyrics (and even pointed to his right) with a grin.