Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A slightly cheaper means of obtaining Adobe's suite of programs
A slightly cheaper means of obtaining Adobe's suite of programs
Been researching getting Flash and/or full-mode Photoshop, and I discovered a new service Adobe's doing:
Adobe Creative Suite Cloud
Instead of a couple thousand dollars for the full schmear, one can subscribe to the cloud service and have full access to the latest from Adobe for like 50 bucks a month.
And Since Adobe wants folks to upgrade yearly anyway...
Any thoughts?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Can't use the cloud when you're offline.

Can't use the cloud when they're offline.

The cloud is slower than your local HDD. (Especially over the 'net.)

Are these important to you?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

*shrug* I was just getting it out there.

I'd love to mess around with the software but it's WAY out of my price range. Especailly since getting the 50 bucks a month rate hinges on committing to at least 12 months, and I don't want to put myself in hock for enough college courses to qualify for the student discounts.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Rob, you make it sound as though Adobe will be hosting the entire application, even running it, at a central location, with the end users using their machines as terminals. Last I checked, that's not how cloud computing works.
Quote:Adobe® Creative Cloud™ is the digital hub that lets you download and
install every Adobe Creative Suite® 6 application; access online
services for file sharing, collaboration, and publishing; and benefit
from new apps and features as soon as they're released — giving you the
freedom to create anything you can imagine.
So, you can install the applications onto your machine, and, I bet, the licenses, too.  The Cloud just ensures regular updates as well as synchronization between your machine and other machines you use.  Not to mention sharing files and collaboration.
The one thing that sticks in my craw is the price.  $50/month is still a lot of money - more than most people would be willing to pay.  Maybe if they brought the price down to twenty or twenty-five, with the option to buy more months in advance in a lump sum for a lesser per-month rate, then they'd attract a lot more business and make a lot more money.  After all, instead of paying for making the discs, packaging them, and shipping them to stores, you're merely paying for bandwidth and other overhead costs of running a cloud.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Rob, you make it sound as though Adobe will be hosting the entire application, even running it, at a central location, with the end users using their machines as terminals. Last I checked, that's not how cloud computing works.
Well, that's the definition of "cloud computing" we use at work... and I'm one of the people responsible for the hardware that the cloud runs on. Looks like Adobe is using a different definition.

Marketing buzzwords - don't you just love how they can mean so many things that they end up meaning nothing at all?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012