Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamato 2199 Ep 3 Floating Continent Battle (Edit to add Pluto Battle clip links)
Yamato 2199 Ep 3 Floating Continent Battle (Edit to add Pluto Battle clip links)
And now we get to the GOOD STUFF!!!

Most of the last part of 2199
episode #3, and we get to see the girl in action. Main guns, auxiliary,
anti-aircraft, Wave Motion Gun, new music - what's not to like?
There are
no subtitles, but the explosions are in English, so don't worry. ^_^
(And as of 6:05 in the video, Jupiter gets a BRAND NEW Great Red Spot! HOLY... O_O )

EDIT: MORE New clips coming in - this time from the Battle of Pluto. Just direct links this time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9QpEk1 ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Euyhe_97ag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lnrBBDsGwg(love the Final Yamato reference!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7p0fqgaSwI

Yamamoto-chan is a badass! And the Yamato - I'm actually feeling sorry for the Gamilas! Go now!

All I can do is giggle wildly.

Couldn't watch it at work earlier. The only thing that makes me regret getting work... lol

I just saw the first two eps fansubbed.

No idea if the translation is accurate, but Captain Okita's reply to the Gamilas demand for surrender nearly killed me.

"Tell them, NUTS!" Big Grin

Great, I'm going to camping on my mailbox again starting next month waiting for the next disc.

Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:I just saw the first two eps fansubbed.

No idea if the translation is accurate, but Captain Okita's reply to the Gamilas demand for surrender nearly killed me.

That's pretty much dead-on accurate. And very nearly exactly what he said in the original 1974 version. I believe Star Blazers had him say "Idiots!"
In fact it may be a specific military in-joke/reference to one Brigadier General McAuliffe.
Near the end of WWII, at the Battle of The Bulge, the Germans surrounded Bastogne. Then held by elements of the 101st Airborne and other attached units. McAuliffe was in charge, and the Germans sent a formal party under flag of truce to deliver an ultimatum.
This is from Delivered From Evil, The Saga of World War II by Robert Leckie:

Quote:"The note was brought to the office command the battle in Bastogne,
Brig. Gen Anthony McAuliffe. It was read by his chief of staff, Lt.
Col. Ned D. Moore.

"What does it say, Ned?" McAuliffe asked.

"They want you to surrender."

"Aw, nuts!" McAuliffe exclaimed. Annoyed, he tried to think of a
suitably defiant and derisive reply until Lt. Col. Harry Kinnard
remarked, "That first crack you made would be hard to beat."

"What was that?"

"Nuts."

Seizing a pen, McAuliffe wrote:

To the German Commander.

NUTS!

The American Commander
My favorite bit referencing this incident is portrayed in the movie "Patton" with George C Scott. Patton is leading troops in to help break the siege at Bastogne and a subordinate comes up to him as they're traveling down the road -
Quote:Colonel Gaston Bell: General McAuliffe refused a German surrender demand. You know what he said?

Patton: What?

Colonel Gaston Bell: "Nuts!"

Patton: [laughing] Keep them moving, colonel. A man that eloquent has to be saved!
Obviously Captain Okita appreciates the classics. Big Grin

Logan Darklighter Wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:I just saw the first two eps fansubbed.

That's pretty much dead-on accurate. And very nearly exactly what he said in the original 1974 version. I believe Star Blazers had him say "Idiots!"
In fact it may be a specific military in-joke/reference to one Brigadier General McAuliffe.
So I had assumed.
In fact, what killed me was that immediately after the demand was delivered, I was thinking "It would be awesome if his reply was Nuts!, but that's not going to oh wow never mind." Big Grin

And some other thoughts on the first two, spoilers at full sail:

Mamoru's sacrifice feels a lot saner here than it did in the original, where it was a classic example of the horrible pointless glorious-suicide mentality that was the hallmark of the 1930s-40s Japanese military mind. Original Mamoru and his crew died (well, not Mamoru) for absolutely no purpose, but New Mamoru... well, maybe both ships could have made it back and maybe they couldn't, but Captain Kodai refused to take that risk, and I salute him and his for their dedication.

...But then we learn that this whole Pluto operation has been a distraction and HOLY TRELAYNA EARTH ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT ISCANDAR THEY'RE ALREADY IN COMMUNICATION. Sasha isn't bringing plans, Earth's already been given the technical documents, the "message" capsule is Iscandar hard technology.

And there are three sisters.

And SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS IT'S NOT A COINCIDENCE THIS TIME YUKI LOOKS LIKE STARSHA BECAUSE SHE'S THE THIRD SISTER.

Oh, and the crew is a nice mix of old and new, with a better gender ratio. Doc gets a nurse with epic ahoge! But has to leave the cat behind. Who's the mysterious white-haired woman who gets stuck with ship's accountant? Conroy's pissed at Kodai and I can't blame him.

...I cannot wait to see where they go with this. I'm very excited now. I might even be tingling.

--Sam
"Yamato -- HASSHIN!"

First, Logan, thank you for linking to the clips.
Second, I'm sorry, but I just think it's ludicrous that with all the instrumentation a starship ought to have, when the bridge targeting officer wants to get a good look, he has to stand up and use what're basically binoculars.  Guys, there's such a thing as being too retro.
Incidentally, minor point, but when they blow up that continent, I couldn't help thinking that the appearance of the one guy's pet cradled in his arms as his base is destroyed around him will not win this show many points with ATLA fans -- except, of course, for any who regarded ... Momo, was it? ... as the Scrappy.  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Logan.... Yamato-chan? Yes, ships are female, but this is no young schoolgirl! Yamato is clearly a Warrior princess in the prime of her life! Yamato-Xena, more like, than Yamato-chan. I really dont think any of the common 'honorifics' work, so I kinda made that one up.

DH: Who says those are simple binoculars? I could see them being more like some sort of AR sub unit tied into the ships sensory to allow Kodai to check things out without having to change the tasking of other major combat system sensors sort of thing. And THAT has a RL example in and of in all main battle tanks the Gunner and Commander have separate sights and viewing systems to allow the commander to scan for the NEXT target while the gunner 'Prosecutes' the current one.
Oh, and someone has gotten the first 9 minutes of the start of Ep 3 up, though no subtitles (yet?)

Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

...huh. Gamilas aren't blue.

Are they just going to turn blue out of nowhere again, as an homage?
EDIT: and the hull number of that Earth ship they passed was 5555. Smile

Yamato-chan looks like this, of course.

http://sonohara.donmai.us...294d6bc5bb905a8edb99.jpg
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Valles Wrote:Yamato-chan looks like this, of course.
"403 - Forbidden" when I try to follow the link.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Valles Wrote:Yamato-chan looks like this, of course.
"403 - Forbidden" when I try to follow the link.
You have to refresh the page.

Try this, then? http://i31.photobucket.co...294d6bc5bb905a8edb99.jpg
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Oh, very nice.

Meanwhile... is it just me or does "Nova" (I can't remember her real Japanese name) have moments in that clip where she looks uncannily like Utena Tenjou?
-- Bob
---------

Mori. Yuki Mori.

And after looking at that clip of the first 8 minutes, I think lurker is onto something....

NO QUARTER!!!

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Mori. Yuki Mori.
D'oh! That has got to be where the lead character in Rocket Girls - Yukari Morita - got her name from...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Logan.... Yamato-chan?
No no -  Yamamoto-chan - the fighter pilot!

Oh.

Select voice:  Roseanne Roseannadanna
Never Mind....
/Select Voice

NO QUARTER!!!

BTW - here's the scoop on the blue/not blue Gamilons.
First - as some of you know, in the original 74 series, the Gamilons were Caucasian until after episode 10. Even Desslok had a standard, non-blue skin tone (and almost brownish hair, to boot!).
It's never been made clear whether the first 10 episodes were a mistake in coloring from the animation studio painters. Or whether they suddenly belatedly realized that the Gamilons weren't "alien" enough and moved to change it.
Regardless, it's considered ret-con canon that all Gamilons are blue. Certainly Desslok is now never intended to be anything but.
Which leaves us with 10 episodes of Gantz and Bane looking rather out of place compared to the rest of the series/movies.
What to do about it?
Well - the Playstation game which had newly animated sequences of the Iscandar mission, retconned Gantz and Bane as blue skinned as well to match the rest of the Gamilons. That's one way to do it. And it's consistent.
So now we have 2199 and we -seem- to have taken a step backwards! What gives?
Well here's the straight dope - That Gantz, Bane, and the other "Gamilon" forces in the Sol system are not blue is actually NOT an accident. Instead, it's intentional as a device to show that the Gamilon Empire is more diverse and wide ranging than portrayed in the original. The "Gamilons" you see in the Sol system are not actually Gamilons - they are a subject race that was conquered by the Gamilons! The name of their race is unknown as of yet (at least by me). But it's probably in the source material.
So that's what's going on. When you do see Desslok in cameos in these early episodes, take note that he is colored properly with blue skin.

robkelk Wrote:D'oh! That has got to be where the lead character in Rocket Girls - Yukari Morita - got her name from...
The smoking gun would be the kanji used -- if the kanji for "yuki" and "mori" are the same in both, I think it would be a virtual guarantee.
-- Bob
---------

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Select voice:  Roseanne Roseannadanna
Never Mind....
I think you mean Emily Litella.
-- Bob
---------

*Sigh* well, at least I realised it wasnt the Church Lady

NO QUARTER!!!

“Well, isn't that special?”
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:D'oh! That has got to be where the lead character in Rocket Girls - Yukari Morita - got her name from...
The smoking gun would be the kanji used -- if the kanji for "yuki" and "mori" are the same in both, I think it would be a virtual guarantee.
Well, I found Yukari's name in both forms of kanji here: ?? ???(??? ???)

Haven't found Yuki Mora's name in kanji yet...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012