Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While you're waiting for Friday night...
While you're waiting for Friday night...
...please enjoy this -- Dave Menard's latest DW image, celebrating the conclusion of this Step of the Walk:

[Image: dwiifinal.jpg]

Thanks, Dave!

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Costume!
I dunno.
Maybe it's the pose, or that Doug is in costume but sans helmet, but right there he really looks like some sort of central casting version of an SF Wehrmacht officer. Needs more little medals and stuff, but it's basically there.
Re: Costume!
Well, I've always thought that the leather-clad superhero has somewhat fascist overtones, regardless of the nobility or lack therof of the hero themselves- however, any resemblance to a stormtrooper of any stripe in this image is purely concidental.
(And the pose? C'mon. Maybe an SS officer from "Springtime For Hitler" in the midst of a dance routine... ~_^)
Although, now that I'm thinking about it... Bob, in any of your Warriors campaigns, has anyone commented on the inherent spookiness of a virtual army of black-leather-clad government-sanctioned superbeings with carte blanche police powers?
Keen! Great stuff as always from the Foolhammer. But... would you believe that up until rereading the current chapters this past weekend, I thought Doug was black? I missed the desc as a blond the first time around, and then the bit about "imagine the service a black man in biker leathers would get walking into an upscale, first class hotel" when he first goes to get a room, thinking he's only going to be there until he can play the same gate song again threw me off.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Audubon
Well, it's been a while since I've consulted the Audubon Field Guide to European Fascist Dickheads, but I had been under the impression that the SS -- at least when dressing up as I'd imagine any Springtime for Hitler dancing officer would do -- went in for black uniforms, not grey ones.
(Though IIRC, they did wear grey uniforms quite a lot by the late 30's, and hell, it's not as though uniforms are all that uniform -- there's always a zillion variations due to personal style, or availability of replacements, or whatever.)
Quote:
Bob, in any of your Warriors campaigns, has anyone commented on the inherent spookiness of a virtual army of black-leather-clad government-sanctioned superbeings with carte blanche police powers?
I can't remember it ever coming up, no... But when you put it that way it does sound a little disturbing. Hm. The campaign arc I'm developing for my tenure as GM includes at least one group vocally opposed to the Warriors' role as world police force; maybe I can work that observation into their rhetoric.

As for being black-clad, well, that's a coincidence, mainly. More a fashion statement ("when you've got superpowers, black looks cool!" ) than anything else. Nobody's required to wear any particular color, and it's mostly coincidence that the current members are almost all in black. Shockwave did red and blue when he was a member. I don't even think Ai Zhao Min has a "uniform" -- I think she wears brightly colored Chinese robes. (She's the current newest member and is still feeling out her personal style.) And Dwimanor doesn't have very many options to choose from in tuxedos that don't look hideously tacky.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
(And the pose? C'mon. Maybe an SS officer from "Springtime For Hitler" in the midst of a dance routine... ~_^)
Oh, and don't ask what that song does. Please.

-- Bob
('Cause I don't know. )
---------
Springtime for Hitler???
What does that ---

*BLAM*

*THUD*

--
Q: What goes bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud, bang-thud?
A: A Time Lord committing suicide.
Re: Springtime for Hitler???
Thank you, thank you. He'll be here until Thursday. Try the veal.

-- Bob
---------
Bakadring writes:
B>Although, now that I'm thinking about it... Bob, in any of
B>your Warriors campaigns, has anyone commented on the
B>inherent spookiness of a virtual army of black-leather-clad
B>government-sanctioned superbeings with carte blanche
B>police powers?
Oooh yeah. Not a lot mind you, but there's a stock phrase that Hexe is fond of: "We wear Black because it's your funeral"
However, the Warriors have defiantly shown that they are nobody's storm troopers. They're very fast to turn things over to the local authorities when possible and doing that has help us avoid the "Dread Super Fascist" label most of the time.

Skitz
Oh, yeah, I forgot that line of Helen's. That's so true most of the time, ainnit?
And yes, we do hand things back to the locals very quickly. We usually don't get called in for anything until it's pretty much escalated out of hand. Like those terrorists who had taken all of Mont-St.-Michel. We didn't take that away from the French authorities, they asked the UN if we would do the job.
Really, Dave and everyone, we spend entirely too much time hanging around the Mansion to be good little stormtroopers. If you stop and think about it, we really only work a couple hours a month, most of the time.
Plus. we are not beholden to any political force in the UN. We are independent contractors, and we can and will vote our consciences and choose to break that contract should matters get that bad. We might lose the Mansion (or would we, John? Is that ours, or just leased/loaned by the U.N.?), but we will not be forced into action against our ethics.

-- Bob
---------
Bob Writes:
B>We might lose the Mansion (or would we, John? Is that
B>ours, or just leased/loaned by the U.N.?), but we will not
B>be forced into action against our ethics.
You'd have to check with Helen to be sure, the Mansion predates me, but if it goes like the Beta Mansion, the technical, legal solution is that we'd have to abandon it, but we'd get to clear the place out in a major way. The host nation holds the property and building proper leased to the UN, but we've got the improvements that we put in. We'd probably have to buy the building if we wanted to stay there absent our UN mandate, which would be subject to British approval, as they likely leased the land to the UN which in turn gave it to The Warriors to use.
However, we generally keep a good rep in our host country (since when we're bored or tired of hanging around the mansion, we have been known to do some more common local superheroing) and we've been extra careful to not let our battles trash the neighborhood. For example, while we do have a cadre of power armored guards, and the mansion itself does have a force field, we're not going to keep things like Buckingham Palace or Fort Knox: those steps are to keep out the run of the mill sorts, but if there's a serious attack, we want them to get through. The Warriors ARE the final security system, and by letting the more serious attacks through, we avoid the pesky innocents-getting-in-the-way issue (which is one way we justify our expansive grounds).
B>We are independent contractors, and we can and will vote
B>our consciences and choose to break that contract should
B>matters get that bad.
We've rather famously done that once. During the National Super Team Bans, we ended up fighting alongside the US superteam against Arcanum. After the battle we left the scene of the combat, and the normals (crew of two nuclear submarines who were hostages) in their charge. Not only that but we talked up the US super team, which handled themselves very well. In short, we flat out refused to enforce the Bans. Not our job. Fortunately the politics swung against the Bans and in favor of us, but we've talked about it as a team: If the UN doesn't like us, they can fire us. But that's it. I think it's come close exactly once (during Frank's tenure as GM) so we haven't really had a test of our resolve on that issue, but then, I wouldn't exactly want to challenge Hexe's resolve on much of anything.
Skitz.
Man.
Considering the crap going on in my regular games (the in-game crap AND the out-of-game crap), I halfway think I'd KILL for a chance to sit in and WATCH this. Sitting in is beyond my comprehension.
(in-game: next session we may see two members of the team go completely psychotic, based purely on one person's ability to save the ass of a fatally-injured teammate with his medical skills. out-of-game: at the end of that session, a player is being told "you are no longer welcome in any superhero games played in this gameworld" (GM runs one world with many superteams, so most of us have at least four characters running around with different teams).)
And the picture rocks, too. I see the Nazi thing, but my first thought?
"hey, wait, when did Doug become the Rocketeer?"Brazil has decided you're cute.
Talienas Writes:
T>Considering the crap going on in my regular games (the in-
T>game crap AND the out-of-game crap), I halfway think I'd
T>KILL for a chance to sit in and WATCH this.
Well I'm glad you think so, but I'll tell you, as a GM, watching an entire session breakdown into everyone BSing about the set up and it's intricate details instead of jumping into the villainous mastermind's latest cunning plan is, well, kind of a frustrating way to blow a Saturday. Smile
T>at the end of that session, a player is being told "you are
T>no longer welcome in any superhero games played in this
T>gameworld
We're not without that sort of history as well, sadly. We had a character who's player essentially got bored with the game, but rather than retire, he decided to overload his power packs (he was a quadriplegic character who built himself an atomic powered set of limbs, and he could use the power pack for a final strike atomic explosion), just for the hell of it he was going to kill the team which did a fine job of staying in character and not believing that he was going to do that. One players character (Panther, of course) sensed what was going on and tried to stop him, but they didn't believe her and were wondering why one team member started wigging out at another team member.
My solution: The fabric of space-time opened up, the hand of the GM entered and enfolded the offending character. There was a muffled WUMP as the nuclear explosion went off, then the hand withdrew and most of the players pretend that there never was such a person.

T>And the picture rocks, too. I see the Nazi thing, but my
T>first thought? "hey, wait, when did Doug become the
T>Rocketeer?"
And I was wondering if Doug was chafing or something, holding his legs so widely separated. I'm sure it's some sort of clever trap: where he's expecting a kick in the nuts and going to counter with some nasty move. Smile
He kinda caught the look of Bob too, which though I know Doug isn't supposed to be Bob, is how I always pictured him.

Skitz
Quote:
but I'll tell you, as a GM, watching an entire session breakdown into everyone BSing about the set up and it's intricate details instead of jumping into the villainous mastermind's latest cunning plan is, well, kind of a frustrating way to blow a Saturday. Smile
Well, so we analyze and we plan. We do that very well. Then we attack, and we forget about the plan because we're doing so well at kicking ass.
Quote:
he decided to overload his power packs (he was a quadriplegic character who built himself an atomic powered set of limbs, and he could use the power pack for a final strike atomic explosion), just for the hell of it he was going to kill the team which did a fine job of staying in character and not believing that he was going to do that.
I remember that -- I was there, although I can't remember if I was playing or just watching. I remember Panther going, "hey, guys... Hey, guys! HEY, GUYS! He's SERIOUS!", though...
Quote:
And I was wondering if Doug was chafing or something, holding his legs so widely separated. I'm sure it's some sort of clever trap: where he's expecting a kick in the nuts and going to counter with some nasty move. Smile
Who knows? Certainly not I. Dave whipped up this picture and gave it to me with almost no warning; I had no input on the layout or design, and to tell you the truth, I'm not complaining about anything. Dave is way too busy to waste time being that kind, and I'm going to appreciate that kindness all that I can.
Quote:
He kinda caught the look of Bob too, which though I know Doug isn't supposed to be Bob, is how I always pictured him.
Well, Bob about 15 years ago... I don't have my hair that way any more. But it is spooky, since to the best of my knowledge Dave has never seen me...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"hey, wait, when did Doug become the Rocketeer?"
By pure coincidence, his outfit -- the jacket in particular -- always looked kinda like the Rocketeer, at least in its cut and styling. Looney predates the Rocketeer movie, but it's entirely possible that I had been influenced by the covers of Rocketeer comics I had seen on the racks during my usual buying runs at Forbidden Planet in the year or so before I moved to New Brunswick and met this gang of merry pranksters.

-- Bob
---------
Skitz Said::
>And I was wondering if Doug was chafing or something, >holding his legs so widely separated. I'm sure it's some sort >of clever trap: where he's expecting a kick in the nuts and ?going to counter with some nasty move. Smile
Nope- He's just striking a Significant Kirby Pose(tm). Smile
Bob Said:
>Well, Bob about 15 years ago... I don't have my hair that >way any more. But it is spooky, since to the best of my >knowledge Dave has never seen me...
Just the photo of you and Helen on the About Me page, really, so no, just a lucky guess. Glad it worked out!
"one player being told he's no longer welcome..."
Not the one with the medical skills, I hope - my own PBeM character 'just' (as in just before the game stalled for months) kept a stabbing victim from bleeding out (the only part of a spectacularly insane IC evening that anyone but the other PCs know about his doing - the rest having been a high speed chase through the city) and instead of some kind of reward for it his IC boss threatened to fir him if he got involved in anything like that again. This has him rather teed of at the moment, and I'm waiting on GM approval of a scene outline before writing about him complaining about it with a couple of NPCs.
If it is that player, all I can say is "DAYam, what is UP with this?" and make a note to self to include healing powers as self-only from now on...
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Skitz said" Well I'm glad you think so, but I'll tell you, as a GM, watching an entire session breakdown into everyone BSing about the set up and it's intricate details instead of jumping into the villainous mastermind's latest cunning plan is, well, kind of a frustrating way to blow a Saturday. Smile"
Actually I've just sat in sessons like that. Since I'm good friends with the GM I've made some "good" suggestions that help get things going again. One of the best ones (for me) was asking out loud what the player was going to do when going up at a high rate of speed and a high quality steel net was heading down at a high rate of speed. Then giving a mental picture to this (ever try to push something through a screen window?). I loved seeing the GM smile like that and the players faces pale all at the same time.

Shawn Earl
Quote:
Just the photo of you and Helen on the About Me page
Um, that's not Helen... that's Peggy. Peggy would be very upset if Helen were in our engagement photo... And so would Helen's husband, Attila. (Yeah, that picture was taken in 1989 or thereabouts.)

-- Bob
---------
Re: Cliff
Well, as far as similarities with the Rocketeer go, Doug is missing the most important part of the outfit: jodhpurs. Why they ever went out of fashion, I can't begin to guess.
Re: Cliff
Not everyone has the legs for them.

-- Bob
---------
You know what I meant. I'm terrible with names, we have established this in the past. ^_^
But to cover my butt:
Sorry, Peggy!
haha... it is really a good piece of art dave. although am i right in thinking that is Lisa at the bottom left corner?
Yes, that's Lisa -- complete with camera. "Blonde and ultra-tan" as Doug says somewhere near the beginning of the story.

-- Bob
---------