Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Bill Gates Steal The Heart of MS-DOS?
Did Bill Gates Steal The Heart of MS-DOS?
Computing folklore has long held that Microsoft created MS-DOS by stealing the code for DRI's CP/M operating system.  An independent software forensics expert
with modern investigative tools has finally taken up the challenge of finding out the truth once and for all, and has written up his results for the IEEE's Spectrum magazine.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The article does seem to be, at least partially, an adverisement for the author's forensic software. That does not, however, mean that his conclusions are wrong. There are articles, linked to in the comments, criticising the original article, but they, frankly, come across as somewhat unhinged.
And honestly, there's more than enough money involved that if there was a good case, the lawyers would have come out.

I think Kindell was having Pournell on. It might be that he'd written a separate program that when involked displayed the false disclaimer; it feels to me like something I would do if I was in that situation, if only to vent my spleen about my poor luck/business sense.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children