Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Fu...
Well Fu...
Harry Harrison has curled up all ten stainless steel tootsies.
http://io9.com/5934884/rip-harry-harris ... lent-green

He wrote some good science fiction and some bad alternate history.

I was never actually a big fan of his work -- just wasn't my cuppa, I guess.  But that doesn't make it hurt much less, to see another of the Golden Age Greats pass on.

He was one of the authors who spanned the Golden Age and the Modern Age -- his Deathworld books sit right on the cusp, and he wrote a couple of fantastic parodies of Golden Age SF in "Bill The Galactic Hero" and "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers". Not many of the Golden Age authors made the transition, but he did.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah. His earlier books are fond childhood memories (although I read Star Smashers before reading Lensman, so I tended to try and treat it straight). His later works didn't keep up.

Quote:Medvirk, Ulv had said.  A life form that cooperates and aids other life forms.  It may kill in self-defense, but it is essentially not a killer or destroyer.  Ulv had a lifetime of knowledge about the interdependency of life.  He grasped the essence of the idea and ignored all the verbal complications and confusions.  He had killed the magter, who were his own people, because they were umedvirk -- against life.  And he had saved his enemies because they were medvirk.
-- Planet of the Damned, 1962
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.