Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a homebrewer has definitely spoiled me.
Being a homebrewer has definitely spoiled me.
I used to like American-style commercial "golden" beers like Budweiser...
But I just had one for the first time in years and it seems so... bland.  It doesn't even smell like beer to me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

"It's *bleep*ing close to water", as the joke goes.

I haven't stepped into the homebrewing, in part because beer doesn't do a lot for me, and I don't know anyone who homebrews to show me the light.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I used to like American-style commercial "golden" beers like Budweiser...
I believe the technical term is "pilsner-lager"...
Bob Schroeck Wrote:But I just had one for the first time in years and it seems so... bland.  It doesn't even smell like beer to me.
I hear what you're saying, man.

There was a beer festival in Ottawa last weekend. (No, I didn't go - I couldn't find a designated driver.) One of the things that was mentioned in the press package was that sales of "factory" beer were down over the last few years, but sales of "microbrewery" beers were trending up over the same time. Other reports from various food and drink associations indicate the average Canadian palate has become more discriminating in the same time...

So, if you must drink something other than your own, try something from a small, craft brewery.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I used to like American-style commercial "golden" beers like Budweiser...

Really? I thought it was "piss", myself.

Rob, I think that factoid's been appearing in the North American media for awhile I know I've seen it appear on the episodes devoted to beer on Modern Marvels and odd related History, NatGeo & Discovery channel program (aside from the ones on Guinness). I think that one of the theories on why people are going craft or microbrew is that the majors are cheeping out on ingredients using more corn & rice then wheat & barley.

Still, I've seen store-people nonplussed about damage to a mixed pallet of Budweiser & Melbourne Bitter, but then around here I've seen beer sold on the typical supermarket shelf that every drinker would probably be happy to see damaged - near zero alcohol content beer. Yet, I've also come across a supermarket with the proper stuff's present on a standard shelf - yes I know Aldi (in Australia) typically have alcohol on the shelves beside the bread - but this was a normal isle near fruit & veg.

Oh I've got a semi-diy brewer near me, which will make 6 cases of whatever beer you want provided they've got the recipe in around two hours - includes bottling/canning time. The strongest beer they do is an Duvel equivalent.

Actually a beer that going by the Alc% for being close to water are West End Light, Tooheys Blue & Fosters Special Bitter: 2.7%.

Meh, I'm not really a drinker, I've been advised that I'd probably like Guinness & the manager I report to owes me some Crownies.

--Rod.H

Part of it, from what I understand, is that many of the macro-brewery pilsner-lagers end up with a lot of corn in the mix, which makes for a cheaper mash overall, but makes them all taste pretty meh. Personally, I think pilsners and lagers are kind of meh to begin with, and the Big Boys are just meh squared. I prefer a good brown ale or amber/bock.
I was faced with a personal tragedy this past week, when doing the first grocery shopping in West Virginia. My beer of choice has been, ever since college, Shiner Bock. It's not distributed in West Virginia. I knew this, but facing a beer aisle and not seeing the familiar goat's head logo made me sad. I will have to bring some along when I move and ration it. (In truth, Shiner isn't the best of beers, but it is the beer that I first liked and it's the Texas beer that doesn't taste like sex in a canoe. Lone Star is such a disappointment.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

[Image: 25224441.jpg]

Ironically, Budweiser produced and bottled over here..... and it has to be bottled ... isn't half bad when it's hot out and you want something cold and easy to drink. I know someone who works in there.... and AB are obscenely precise, even compared to what normally goes on in James's Gate.

I dunno. Two things I've never understood people liking the taste of.

Coffee, and beer.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

NifT Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
Really? I thought it was "piss", myself.
That's the common term.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

...am I the only person who saw a mention of 'homebrew' in the thread title, and didn't think of beer at all?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Possibly. I know its been a long time since I've had any ideas for RPG systems running through my head.

and if its not beer your a vintner or distiller, instead of a brewer
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I think I know what part of my perception is based on. When I was very young, my dad used to let me have a shotglass of beer every now and then -- basically at holidays, which was often the only times I saw him actually drinking any. These were American beers from the 1960s, which I am given to understand were quite rich and full-bodied, and my memory -- compared to the Bud I had last night -- certainly seems to confirm that.

(I also suspect that this habit of my Dad's is one reason I never became a drinker on any scale, save for two binges in my early 20s that were triggered by extreme emotion. There was no mystique in it for me.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Like many of the ills of the 20th century in America... American Beer's faults are due to Prohibition.

Essentially it lasted long enough for folks to not know any better when it was allowed again.

Add that American Style Pilsner-lager tastes best cold, or so I'm told...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Bluemage Wrote:...am I the only person who saw a mention of 'homebrew' in the thread title, and didn't think of beer at all?
Nope.  Not only do I not drink, but I'm helping a friend write a pony rpg system.  Needless to say, I was somewhat confused by the talk about alcoholic beverages.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

ECSNorway Wrote:I dunno. Two things I've never understood people liking the taste of.

Coffee, and beer.
Both tend to be acquired tastes, like most sorts of unsweetened tea.  Coffee for me is something I will drink straight up if I got no other choice... though it's honestly a lot better if you can get some of the nicer roasts.  As for beer, from what little I've sampled, I tend to like stouts like Guiness myself.

blackaeronaut Wrote:As for beer, from what little I've sampled, I tend to like stouts like Guiness myself.
This.  

Also, Killian's Irish Red, though bottled by one of the Big Boys, is pretty good, too.

@BlueMage - I hear ya... the first thing in my mind was the Mecha-for-4Color/Classic MSH RPG system that's been bubbling off and on for the past 20yrs, now with BESM influence as well, if only I had something fit for doing writing projects. Beer? Smells okay, but I have no interest in drinking it. Coffee either, actually, like ECSNorway said, though just a splash in hot chocolate w/cinnamon and nutmeg is pretty boss.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think I know what part of my perception is based on. When I was very young, my dad used to let me have a shotglass of beer every now and then -- basically at holidays
After a camping trip when I was 7 where I tried a whiskey sour for the first time, my dad gave me a diluted one every New Years Eve. Outside of a few other drinks, whiskey sours are still my favorite.

Stephen Mann Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I think I know what part of my perception is based on. When I was very young, my dad used to let me have a shotglass of beer every now and then -- basically at holidays
After a camping trip when I was 7 where I tried a whiskey sour for the first time, my dad gave me a diluted one every New Years Eve. Outside of a few other drinks, whiskey sours are still my favorite.
On the other hand, my father used to drink bourbon fairly exclusively when I was young, and allowed me to try it a few times. To this day, I cannot stand most bourbons, except as an ingredient in desserts.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Add another voice to the "I thought this was an RPG topic" chorus. And another person who doesn't drink coffee or alcohol. I'm surprised there are so many of us. I figured that getting blushed at the tiny bit of communion wine I will drink -- and I'm not a small person either -- is a sign that I really shouldn't be drinking booze. As for coffee, well, I just like tea better.

My mother rarely drinks, but when she does, she prefers a whiskey sour, too.
-- ∇×V

When I heard 'homebrew', I didn't actually think of RPGs.  I thought of software for hacked phones/tablets/game systems.
Is that worth more geek points, or less?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I'd been a social drinker for years before I turned 21 -- a glass of wine with dinner was my limit, tho.

Never got into mixed drinks or beers.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Bluemage Wrote:When I heard 'homebrew', I didn't actually think of RPGs.  I thought of software for hacked phones/tablets/game systems.
I'd say more since I associate the word with open source programming and not RPGs at all.  Really, what dose homebrew have to do with RPGs?

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Bluemage Wrote:When I heard 'homebrew', I didn't actually think of RPGs.  I thought of software for hacked phones/tablets/game systems.
I'd say more since I associate the word with open source programming and not RPGs at all.  Really, what dose homebrew have to do with RPGs?
Fan rewrites or expansions of rpg systems, mainly. Over on the White Wolf Exalted forum, I've seen fan written subsystems, mechanics rewrites, and even a whole new Exalt type.  You can also google Genius: The Transgression for another good example.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I am enlightened.