Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As if Sandy wasn't enough...
As if Sandy wasn't enough...
...the US military is fighting a zombie apocalypse off San Diego right now.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Gosh-darn it, that was Hurricane Sandy, not Hurricane Samedi!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

*blinks* Well, now we know that if it really does happen, at least our military has some idea of how to handle it.

From the article:

"The CDC recommended doing things such as stocking up on water (one gallon per person per day), food (nonperishable items you eat regularly), tools like duct tape, a battery-powered radio, and blankets."

Wow, the government just can't bear to admit that a gun would be really useful to have, even in something as improbable as the zombie apocalypse...

Just goes to show that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, you're better of listening to xkcd.

When I was in college, I wrote a whole Zombie Attack Response Guide on the Davis Wiki.  PROTIP: Go to Costco, if you have one locally.  No ground level windows, metal doors, tons of food, water, vehicles, cooking gear, etc.  Gasoline is often right outside.  The main downside is the lack of firearms, really.
-- ∇×V

khagler Wrote:From the article:
"The CDC recommended doing things such as stocking up on water (one gallon per person per day), food (nonperishable items you eat regularly), tools like duct tape, a battery-powered radio, and blankets."
Wow, the government just can't bear to admit that a gun would be really useful to have, even in something as improbable as the zombie apocalypse...

Just goes to show that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, you're better of listening to xkcd.
To be fair, the CDC's mandate is to keep people (not "a person", people) alive, and firearms tend to go against that.

If you'd asked the DoD's opinion, you might get a different answer...
--
Rob Kelk

vorticity Wrote:When I was in college, I wrote a whole Zombie Attack Response Guide on the Davis Wiki.  PROTIP: Go to Costco, if you have one locally.  No ground level windows, metal doors, tons of food, water, vehicles, cooking gear, etc.  Gasoline is often right outside.  The main downside is the lack of firearms, really.
I've got a Costco (relatively) locally (it's a county over). However, the Baretta factory is just down the road, so I know where I'm going.

vorticity Wrote:When I was in college, I wrote a whole Zombie Attack Response Guide on the Davis Wiki.  PROTIP: Go to Costco, if you have one locally.  No ground level windows, metal doors, tons of food, water, vehicles, cooking gear, etc.  Gasoline is often right outside.  The main downside is the lack of firearms, really.
The real problem with going to a big box store like that is that, in case of any major emergency, that's where everyone is headed. You're likely to run into more trouble from other survivors than zombies in those situations.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Reading this discussion, I can't help but think that today's big-box store fills the same role as the shopping mall did three decades ago...
--
Rob Kelk

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
-- ∇×V

You got that, you primitive screw-heads?!

Weapon of choice in a zombie apocalypse:

Ambidextrous, accurate, can store ammo loaded in magazines (you can release the spring tension and wind it back up), and uses the ubiquitous 9mm cartridge. Oh, and the magazines come in 50 and 100 round count sizes.

I've got the carbine version:  longer barrel and a sliding shoulder stock.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

While I cannot dispute the effectiveness of the Calico series, they do require a special machine to reload those crazy magazines. Plus, a 9mm isn't really a manstopping round, despite it's ubiquity. I think I'd have to go with at least a .40 S&W, probably in a Glock (big magazine capacity). Even if I miss the head, the force of impact will hopefully throw the zombies down, giving me a chance to get the hell out of there. Of course, if I have my choice, I'd go with a nice, high-capacity 12 gauge shotgun, because (at least in America) you can find shells for those suckers anywhere, and the tool for reloading shotgun shells is pretty simple to use. (My dad had one when I was a kid, and he let me use it.) Plus, there isn't a human being who hasn't watched television who doesn't know what that "KCHACK!" sound means, which means that it serves as a nice deterrent against the living monsters and/or a warning that there's another live human nearby.
Of course, firearms are sort of dangerous to use against zombies when you're alone/in a small group anyway. Gunshots draw more zombies. I think a nice baseball bat would suffice.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

For those who don't watch the show, Sons of Guns did an ep with Max Brooks, in which they were trying to build 'the ultimate zombie killing rifle'. They ended up with two weapons, one civilian, one military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4e65vgePs

I didn't know there was a difference between civilian and military zombies, let alone that there are different ways to kill them...
--
Rob Kelk

9mm has the advantage of more Bullets for a given size. Which if you're a terrible shot is bloody helpful. A .45 won't stop anyone it doesn't hit....

That said, I can feasible get my hand on a double-barrel shotgun or rifle. Decent. Tough, reliable and great for zombing. Will fire as long as it has shells. Could also possibly get a handgun, but the legal hoops are evil. You could say that for anything above .22

Anyway, have to figure out a way to try all this at home.

Ebony Wrote:Of course, firearms are sort of dangerous to use against zombies when you're alone/in a small group anyway. Gunshots draw more zombies. I think a nice baseball bat would suffice.
I have it on good authority that cricket bats are also effective.