Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the off-chance anybody doesn't yet own a copy of "Magic Users Club"...
On the off-chance anybody doesn't yet own a copy of "Magic Users Club"...
... it's currently http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... 9056/4/0/0]on sale at Right Stuf for less than half-price.

I highly recommend this series. It's directed by Junichi Sato, who worked on this series after the first season of Sailor Moon but before Princess Tutu. It's got an excellent dub. None of the characters are idiots. (Well, not complete idiots.) And there's enough fanservice to keep the teenagers interested, and enough subtext to keep the grown-ups interested.

So if you don't already have a copy, go buy one while it's inexpensive. (Although they're currently out of stock, so you'll have to wait a few days for your copy.) You can thank me later.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I second the recommendation. I got the series years ago and loved it.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Speaking of sales, could someone who has seen either this or this let me know if they are worth it?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Well, I sure there's people on here and elsewhere that can espouse the wonders of Blue Seed better than me. So I'll take Hellsing, which is running into three continuities at last check, TV (which that set is), OAV & manga. Starting with the TV's probably the best way to get a taste and go from there, as it uses early chapters of the manga for influence and is it's own self-contained story. The OAV apparently ties more into the manga as by the time they got around to making them more chapters of the manga had been done - kinda like OMG! (just more bloody)- so the OAV animates the kick-arse awesome sequences of the manga and features Nazi Vampires (something to upset the German Government.)

--Rod.H

Is Magic User's Club the one with the "Bell"? If so, I remember seeing part of it a long time ago...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yes, yes it is.
--
Rob Kelk

Why would Nazi vampires upset the German government? (Unless any members happen to be vampires, who don't want to be compared to depraved, evil monsters.)
Modern Germans (excepting, as always, the occasional loon) really, really dislike the Nazis. I can't think of any complete equivalent for any other country, but asking a Cambodian about Pol Pot would get a similar response.

Jorlem Wrote:Speaking of sales, could someone who has seen either this or this let me know if they are worth it?
That particular Hellsing series starts off amazing and ends moderately awesome. The art quality slides slightly as the series goes on, but the over the top action sequences remain excellent.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Ah, thank you. Does anyone have any thoughts on Blue Seed? I don't mean to be a noodge, but today is the last day of the sale, and, well, yeah.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Blue Seed?
A bit slow at first, but watchable. And it doesn't let its message get in the way of the story.

(Just be careful about some of the Omake Theater segments...)
--
Rob Kelk

Any comments on Basilisk?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

robkelk Wrote:A bit slow at first, but watchable. And it doesn't let its message get in the way of the story.

(Just be careful about some of the Omake Theater segments...)
Hmm...  The box set that is on sale doesn't have the Omake Theaters, as far as I can tell anyway.  The other box sets, the ones not on sale list the Omake Theaters under extras, but this one doesn't, which leads me to believe they aren't included.  What would I be missing out on if I didn't get them?
-----

Quote:Hmm... The box set that is on sale doesn't have the Omake Theaters, as far as I can tell anyway. The other box sets, the ones not on sale list the Omake Theaters under extras, but this one doesn't, which leads me to believe they aren't included. What would I be missing out on if I didn't get them?
Some good three-to-five-minute shorts, and some truly mind-bending three-to-five-minute shorts. ("Granny A-Go-Go!" makes Cthluhu lose SAN points...)
--
Rob Kelk

I think I'll look them up online if I need to then. Not worth the extra $20. Thanks for the advice/info.
-----

Looks like Blue Seed is still on sale, though some of the others are not...

I highly recommend it. (For that matter, if it's still at that price tomorrow, I might get it myself, just because I'm still missing volume 1 from the original releases.)

-Morgan. The world needs more people who know what I'm talking about when I say, "Imagine Cirno with nine mitama." ^-^

My apologies for the major necro, but I happened to run across the full run of Magic Users Club in Rightstuf's bargain bin for about $40, and thought it would be of interest to someone.  It looks to be a bundle of the individual dvds, not the box set, but the run time is the same as the box set, and it looks to have the same extras that I recall the box set having, so...

(Also, wow it's weird reading posts I made a couple of years ago.)
-----

Isn't it, though?

As far as I know, Media Blasters never pulled the "stripbox" stunt that ADV was so fond of - they just release the original DVDs in a single package. And I don't recall there being any inserts with Magic User's Club. So, yeah, the content should be the same.
--
Rob Kelk