Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tech question
Tech question
Question 
Either my search-fu has failed me, or what I'm looking for doesn't exist...

A KVM switch allows multiple laptops to use the same keyboard, video, and monitor.

A port replicator allows a laptop to use more than one monitor at once (as well as providing additional ports for other peripherals).

Is there anything that does both at the same time?

What I want to do is plug two laptops into a box, and choose which one gets to use the keyboard, mouse, and multiple monitors also plugged into the box at any given time.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Tech question
I don't know, but I expect not - KVMs were notorious for signal degradation even for VGA, I doubt they play well with HDMI let alone anything high-spec enough to support multiple monitors, like Displayport or (I think?) Thunderbolt. If you haven't found any, that would be my suspicion as to why, though I'd be happy enough to be proved wrong.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Tech question
I can't find it as one box either. But! You might be able to do it by chaining things together.

KVMs for HDMI (with USB for mouse and keyboard) are sold, so that's a option. If you then plug the HDMI splitter into the output, then that would work, but I'm not having any luck finding a box that splits an HDMI signal like that.

Instead you might plug an adapter into a USB port and get a second HDMI out that way. Maybe. I'm not sure about how the USB ports work with the KVM switch.
-Now available with copious trivia!