Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad news for one-page superhero stories
Bad news for one-page superhero stories
Hostess is going out of business.

How will the good guys distract the bad guys without "sponge cake with creamy filling" or "fruity deliciousness"?

[size=smaller](Without using Canadian Twinkies made by Vachon, of course.)[/size]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Given what I've been hearing about their woes, I'm really not surprised. Unfortunately, even if the union is actually at fault for them folding (I really do not think it's that simple, although they certainly delivered the final blow, mercy or not), I expect that we'll see anti-union forces lock onto this as a reason to get rid of unions entirely. T.T
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I want to see who buys up the remains...

If they have any relation to the current hedge-fund directors, that's going to be mighty suspicious.

As it is, accidentally grenading the company is - unfortunately - a risk unions have to be aware of when they make the decision to strike or not. It's something management would also be aware of. Both sides doubled down and played chicken, expecting the other to flinch... and nobody did.

Well, here's an alternate view...the company management sucked the coffers dry and are discarding the dessicated corpse.
http://www.goiam.org/index.php/imail/la ... -on-strike

Quote:BCTGM members voted to strike Hostess after the company imposed cuts that included ending payments to the employees’ pension plan while executives awarded themselves massive bonuses. Among the raises was a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) for the then-CEO of Hostess. At least nine other top executives of the company also received massive pay raises, including one who received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one that brought his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.

On seeing that, I'm with the Strikers.

There're two ways to get rich.

Start a business, put the work in, grow and expand and maybe get lucky.
Buy a business, sell the lot. Use the money to buy another business. Loquidate it.... and repeat until wealthy enough to run for President.

And now the White House has started a petition on their own website to get Hostess nationalized.  Judging by the way they handled the auto industry, that'll put the unions in control of the company... the same unions whose contracts were as bad for the company as its corrupt leadership.
Really, I'd love to see Hostess get bought up by honest private interests, turned into an open shop, and made profitable again from both ends.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:And now the White House has started a petition on their own website to get Hostess nationalized.  Judging by the way they handled the auto industry, that'll put the unions in control of the company... the same unions whose contracts were as bad for the company as its corrupt leadership.
Really, I'd love to see Hostess get bought up by honest private interests, turned into an open shop, and made profitable again from both ends.
While I'm sure that the unions were a part of the problem, the management was worse for the simple fact that they basically laid out for the union, "either you help us kill the company, or you roll the hell over and let us do what we want." A 30% paycut is a hell of a lot of money to ask anyone to give up, to say nothing of the benefits loss.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

JFerio Wrote:While I'm sure that the unions were a part of the problem, the management was worse for the simple fact that they basically laid out for the union, "either you help us kill the company, or you roll the hell over and let us do what we want." A 30% paycut is a hell of a lot of money to ask anyone to give up, to say nothing of the benefits loss.
Eh.  Why do we care which is *worse*, anyway?  They both did bad things to the source of my Twinkies, and for that, they both deserve to be punished.
It's people like that who give good institutions bad names.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Bluemage Wrote:
JFerio Wrote:While I'm sure that the unions were a part of the problem, the management was worse for the simple fact that they basically laid out for the union, "either you help us kill the company, or you roll the hell over and let us do what we want." A 30% paycut is a hell of a lot of money to ask anyone to give up, to say nothing of the benefits loss.
Eh.  Why do we care which is *worse*, anyway?  They both did bad things to the source of my Twinkies, and for that, they both deserve to be punished.
It's people like that who give good institutions bad names.
I only care in terms of that I need to watch to see if it's one of those in the management, or from one of the private funds holding the company, going in to buy what's left and reopen it as a union-free shop. Seriously, if the union is THAT BAD, don't beat around the bush, ask the bankruptcy court for permission to kill their contract completely and go union-free that way.
As for the rest, it's a foodstuff, and a non-vital treat one. I've done without most of their product line for some years now, going without for the rest of my lifespan won't cause me any real damage outside of increased cynicism.
--

I'm told there's a episode of South Park where they mixed beer and Twinkies to get "Honey Boo Boos". (I don't watch much South Park.)

So... anyone for some "Honey Boo Boos"? (Assuming Pabst is a beer, of course... )
--
Rob Kelk

I've tried a twinkie, didn't like it. Their cupcake on the other hand I'd like, as for Ho-ho's I can get a local version.

Seeing those figures on management salary I've just gotta ask, how does the size of those raises compare to the amount the bunions were being asked to give up... I have exactly zero sympathy for any union on the best of days, but that does sound a little ridiculous.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I suspect that Hostess will simply get sold for parts. What it really boils down to is if Twinkies will be missed or not. I'm thinking that they won't be.

Sorry Tallahassee.

I don't know if I ever wanted to eat a twinkie again. I kind of doubt I would've gotten around to it. 

But it's just the sadness of not even having the option. I might not have taken it. But it was nice to know they were still there. I passed them by in the bread isle all the time and thought nothing of it. But sometimes I'd just glance over and see them and just kinda nod internally to myself. "Yup. Still there."

You know what I'm really going to miss though? My favorite wasn't the twinkie, it was the Ding Dong. Silly name. Great snack. Chocolate with just the right amount of white stuffing. Of course I think I loved them most back in the days when they were foil wrapped rather than in the plastic baggies.

I'm not like Tallahassee about it. I won't go out of my way. 

But I wouldn't pass one up if I saw one. Especially not now.

I wouldn't mind having just one. Just once more. 

same here Logan
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Just think how now part of the opening to Weird Al's "Fat" video will make no sense to future generations...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Just think how now part of the opening to Weird Al's "Fat" video will make no sense to future generations...
   Not to mention the line: "Tell him about the twinkie, Egon."

Meh. We're still just fine, thank you.
--
Rob Kelk