Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists prove data on Sandy was false
Scientists prove data on Sandy was false
That's right, Sandy Island doesn't actually exist.  Some Australian scientists sailed to the place where it was supposed to be, which has appeared on navigational charts of the South Pacific for a couple of centuries, and discovered only kilometer-deep ocean.  You can still see it on Google Earth, though.
I'm just happy that R'lyeh has sunk beneath the waves, until the stars align once again.
-- ∇×V

The novel Night of Error by Desmond Bagley involved a now-it's-there-now-it-isn't Pacific island: 

Quote:"In 1889 it was over a mile square and about a hundred fifty feet high; in April 1894 there wasn't anything but a shoal, but in December of the same year it was three miles long, one and a half miles wide, and fifty feet high....  n 1930, Falcon was one and a quarter miles long and four hundred and seventy feet high.  In 1949 it had vanished and there were nine fathoms of water in the same position."

It was volcanic, y'see, made of relatively loose cinders, and periodically would erupt, build up a bit, and then get washed away.
This doesn't tell us anything about Sandy Island, though.  I just thought it was funny.

-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

My first thought was that some historic mapmaker added it to their charts as a copy-protection measure, like Google's Argleton, and people just ran with it.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.