Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tablet Owner Thread
New Tablet Owner Thread
I just obtained for myself a Google Nexus 7 Tablet, running Android 4.2, a "Jelly Bean" iteration.
What are some "why don't you have this already, you fool" apps?
I'm particularly looking for e-reader and media player apps that aren't hideously annoying, etc etc.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I'd recommend trying out Cool Reader. It's *incredibly* configurable, so if you spend some time with it you can probably get it to work exactly how you like it. (It stands out to me as one of relatively few android programs that has the highly desirable (to me) ability to disable rotation and just stay in portrait mode all the time.)

Astro is a pretty good file manager.

-Morgan.

/pulls out my own Nexus 7 to check names
Poweramp.  Definitely Poweramp.  It's a music player with a clean interface, plenty of options, and both library-based and folder-based music browsing.  I have it on all my tablets.  Only negative is that you absolutely HAVE to follow the instructions for unlocking the full version and updating the app, else you'll get stuck uninstalling/reinstalling it every so often.  Easily avoidable, and the app is good enough to be worth it regardless.
FBReader is my go-to book-reading app.  It can read most anything I throw at it, looks good, has decent controls, plenty of options, and has never crashed on me.  Only reason I use anything else is on the rare occasion it can't read a format.
HD Widgets is a ridiculously powerful app.  Gives you all sorts of buttons and displays you can put on your screen- clocks, weather details, one-touch controls, and shortcuts to menus you can't easily reach.  Free, too, if memory serves.
As for browsers, I've come to the conclusion that Chrome is the best and easiest one to use on Android.  I've tried others- they tended to be slow, display pages in really wonky ways, and/or crash a lot.
The only other real must-have app I have is Evernote, just because I've yet to see a better note-taking app.
EDIT: Cool Reader is my backup reader app, and I second Astro without reservation.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Okedoke. Thanks for the input.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

FBReader - Book reading app
Manga Watcher - Manga reading app
Titanium Backup - Backup app
ClockworkMod Recovery & ROM Manager - The ability to clear the Dalvik cache and repair the file permissions alone have fixed problems in the past.
Superuser - Grant/Manage Superuser rights.

We've only had our tablet for a couple weeks, but...

OASVN -- SVN client for Android. I'm using the free version, which doens't have every SVN feature, but has most of what I want.

Jota+ -- nice text editor

Can you guess I now have another point of access to do my writing?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

(looks at briefcase holding decidedly-not-mainstream tablet)

Are any of these available for the Blackberry PlayBook? If they are, is the port any good?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Are any of these available for the Blackberry PlayBook? If they are, is the port any good?
I suspect you'll have to do your own research on that one.  Usually, the only apps you can count on being ported are developed by larger companies- things like Netflix and Kindle.  Chrome probably exists for BB, but I can't be sure (what with the way Google is).
The problem is that Android users can get virtually every app they want from the Play Store (Android-only), the Amazon App Store (I've only seen Android on there), or .apk downloads (DEFINITELY Android-only), so most of us have no impetus to visit things like developer pages... which is where you'd see if there was a BB port.  It'd actually be harder for us to answer that question, since you actually have a PlayBook to look them up on, and I suspect the rest of us here do not.
Wish I could help, though.  I've always been a bit curious about what all's on there.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Winamp has an Android version, and Ive used Winamp for YEARS (longer than Ive know you FB) but Ive not tried the android version...
MX Player (and the codec packages) are highly recommended. Best video player Ive found for soft sub fan subs
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Kingsoft Office has proved handy in work.

Especially on the go.

Yeah, my "tablet" is a Dell XPS 12. I love the thing, it's awesome.

Instapaper is a very handy tool for reading articles and new fanfiction chapters. The idea is you send a web page to instapaper via a browser plugin, and then read it later with all the extra crap stripped out, leaving just the actual article. The Instapaper app for Android isn't as good as the iOS version, but it does the job and if you're exclusively an Android user you'll never know the difference. :-)

Can someone recommend a good, cheap ($5 or less) spreadsheet app for iPad? I'd prefer something that I can export stuff from OpenOffice to.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Picked up the Winamp and holy balls, but does it transfer files quick. I'm used to like cheap USB 1.whatever speeds... Aheh ^^;

-- James Nicoll

Fine... I'll admit it, I'm an owner of a Google Nexus 7.
Now, my suggested apps are MX Player, for videos, but the EPUB reader I use is the Nook App from Barnes & Noble. (very forgiving, allows side-loading)
For Comics, Manga, and Magazines I use Perfect Viewer.
For Pictures, I prefer QuickPic over the default Gallery app.
For a News Reader, I prefer the Pulse app over is installed Currents app.
Also picked up a NICE accessory for my tablet. Check this out. Portenzo
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

ECSNorway Wrote:Can someone recommend a good, cheap ($5 or less) spreadsheet app for iPad? I'd prefer something that I can export stuff from OpenOffice to.
I can meet all of those requirements except price - http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/iphone/]Documents to Go for the iPad is $10. (Save your spreadsheets in Excel format, not ODS) However, it includes a word-processor app compatible with Word, and a presentation app compatible with PowerPoint.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Kurisu -- Snazzy!

-- James Nicoll