Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meteor explodes over Russia this morning!
Meteor explodes over Russia this morning!
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... ussia.html

More information: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 96426.html
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

It's the one you don't see coming you have to worry about.

Rather spectacular video, mind. That is horrifically bright.

If I'd a dashcam, I could've caught on it a some months back a smaller meteorite, my reaction to it was close an eye and brace for impact.

It was all over CBS news radio this morning as I drove in to work, complete with multiple soundtracks -- ain't the age of smartphones fantastic, when you can actually see multiple streams of footage of a once-in-a-lifetime thing like this within hours rather than just hear talk about it weeks later?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm amused by the comment about the leader of the Liberal Democratic Party accusing us Americans of testing a new weapon on Russia. Clearly, for some people, it's still 1962 and in the middle of the Cold War.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Yeah, well, that is Zhirinovskiy, the guy who's said Russia ought to take Alaska back.  He once dissed a female opponent with the words (approximate quote):  "Women like her dream of being raped, but no one will touch them."  If we could get that "weapon" all the way to the vicinity of Chelyabinsk for the "test" without anyone detecting it prior, they need to surrender right now.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Actually...

[Image: BDHNZUdCAAIw8Ya.jpg]

Datz :Yeah it is. Wake up call on the asteroid impact issue.

If it had been a bit bigger it's effects could have been nasty and not far off from a full scale nuke airburst...

Also found out why there are so many dashboard cams in Russia: insurance and legal protection.

http://jalopnik.com/why-russians-are-ob ... ms-5918159
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Did Russian air defense get any sort of warning it was coming down?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Probably not.

They look for the stuff going up first.... by the time it'scoming down it's too late to do anything about it.

Also. I am just waiting for the first person to say 'It hit Russia, not us.' when it comes to proposing we actively look for these things. Even ten seconds warning to not stand outside under glass watching it might've saved a lot of injuries. Generally, 'us' means something entirely different on the cosmic scale.

100 Kilotons or so of bang.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... _lake.html

Photo of the probable impact zone plus a few more details.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

I noticed that Nature article mentions that the people who watch for incoming objects look for things "between 100 metres and a kilometre in size," and this was around 15 meters. That means that things that are too small for them to spot could still potentially do a lot of damage. Consider the meteor crater in Arizona, which was created by something well below 100 meters...

Dartz Wrote:Also. I am just waiting for the first person to say 'It hit Russia, not us.' when it comes to proposing we actively look for these things.
Well, it's not as it it's the first time something this size hit Russia...

More seriously: Yes, we need to do a better job of looking for rocks this size.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And a column on The Register...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Dartz wrote: Even ten seconds warning to not stand outside under glass watching it might've saved a lot of injuries. Generally, 'us' means something entirely different on the cosmic scale.

100 Kilotons or so of bang.
I saw a report that an elementary school teach near Chelyabinsk was being hailed as a hero for recalling her Cold War "duck and cover" training and getting all her students under their desks when she saw the flash.  Unfortunately, she didn't follow her own directions and was "seriously lacerated" by flying glass when the shockwave blew in the windows.  But none of her students were injured.

Ironically, I'm reminded of all the idiots I've seen claiming that "duck and cover" was just a "feel good" measure -- generally, people who's understanding of "A-bomb" was "magic destroy-everything bomb," with no understanding of just much larger the survivable overpressure zone is than the fireball.  Well, now we have an actual field test (and for a blast that might have gone as high as half a megaton, by some reports).

In Soviet Russia, space explores you!

The thing that strikes me the most - all those videos. In almost every one of them, the whole LACK of reaction by the Russians. I mean, I see something like that go by overhead and hear the explosion, I'm going to spaz a bit! Not these people.

Y'know, I like this guy's take on the reason for the Russian "Not a single fuck was given" attitude -- 

Quote:I think I can explain this. 

Back in the old Soviet days fucks were distributed seemingly at random intervals and most of the time months apart. You would have to stand in line for hours, sometimes days, just to receive one single fuck. After the collapse of the Soviet union, between the corrupt government, the mobsters, and basically the entire country standing on the precipice of all out civil war fucks were even more scarce than before. Counterfeit fucks were common, and even they were highly prized in certain areas, but a true fuck was something you were very unlikely to come across in everyday dealings. After nearly a century of extreme fuck scarcity, fucks have become more valuable than many luxury items (precious metals, stones, etc). They do not part with them lightly.

And this guy -- 

Quote:Everybody here is missing the point. The meteor exploded in the air because it was afraid of touching down on Russian soil. That's called an act of war, and no one wants to start that fight: not even space. Just look up Tunguska event in wikipedia. So far the score is Russians: 2, Meteors: 0

Heh. ^_^

In the latest development, you remember that ice-covered lake with the hole they thought the meteor made?

It did make it. And they just hauled it out.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.