Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any uses for rhodium?
Are there any uses for rhodium?
Can you use the stuff for armor? I remember a fanfic where a mech in mechwarrior was using it as a casing?
Edit: aside from the normal applications like coatings and catalytic converters, of course.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Wasn't that one from Ed Becerra's "Legion's Quest" -- a fight between him in a mech and the Knight Sabers in front of GENOM tower, and the "small" piece of armor that was sliced off was enough to convince Quincy to put Legion on the "do not mess with" list?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Wasn't that one from Ed Becerra's "Legion's Quest" -- a fight between him in a mech and the Knight Sabers in front of GENOM tower, and the "small" piece of armor that was sliced off was enough to convince Quincy to put Legion on the "do not mess with" list?
Yes, now that you mention it. The reason I am asking is that there are firms in the U.S. that reclaim your auto catalysts and pull the metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) out of it and sell it back to refiners.  I do know that rhodium is once of the hardest metals around. So I was thinking at that the rate of maybe 100 pounds of rhodium recovery here in the U.S, you can get 1 short ton of rhodium in 20 years. Also considering that the price of rhodium is somewhere in the $1550 dollar/oz  right now, that 35 tons of rhodium armor the mech had costs 1.736 trillion bucks. I am assuming that it was U.S. short tons we're talking about. Legion could had bought himself a country with change for a 10 year operating budget.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Just glancing at Wikipedia, and assuming that's correct, I notice that armor plated with rhodium would be significantly more resistant to acids than most forms of armor without.  If you're going up against enemies who spray acids at their foes -- which probably means some sort of bug war -- it might be worth having.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I'll remember that the next time I have to face a green dragon.
-- ∇×V

Or a ripe dragon, for that matter.

(rimshot)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

vorticity Wrote:I'll remember that the next time I have to face a green dragon.
If you're in a D&D universe, it's the black dragons that spit acid.  Greens spew poison gas. 8)