Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer for Yamato 2199 Chapter 5
Trailer for Yamato 2199 Chapter 5
Okay - we are officially OFF THE FREAKING MAP in any reference/comparison to the original series now!

Here be space dragons!

I have NO clue where they are taking this series now. NONE.

But so far I'M LOVING IT.

Those may well be the slowest-moving directed energy beams (or bolts, whatever) I've ever seen.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Considering the clanging sound they make? they're kinetic bolts rather than energy beams ala Star Trek.

Also covers why the call em "SHOCK CANNONS" as well, Ne?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I think a lot of that is just "dramatic time expansion" in play. Sort of a visual shorthand in order to keep everything comprehensible to the viewer. I also think some of it might also be another type of stylistic choice - the whole "wet navy in space" thing. Though the way they are choreographing the fights I'm noticing that they break free of that concept more than any of the old shows did. The producers/animators aren't slaves to the whole idea of having an arbitrary flat plane that the big ships fight in. There's some of that, to be sure, but it's not as near universal as the old show was. 

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Considering the clanging sound they make? they're kinetic bolts rather than energy beams ala Star Trek.

Also covers why the call em "SHOCK CANNONS" as well, Ne?
Note also in some previous episodes that they took pains to make clear that the Yamato's main cannons  are not only Directed Beam Weapons - the Shock Cannons - but that, if the power isn't available for that system that they can still fire SHELLS. And - in some cases, they may WANT to fire shells so as to bombard the enemy with indirect fire, such as they did at the Pluto base. 

Specificly, I seem to recall them SHOWING those were delayed action fuses on said shells; then Okita specificly said to load Shock rounds after the gun was destroyed
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Hrm... DVD release date May 28th.... This cannot come out soon enough. (>_