Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of these have you seen?
How many of these have you seen?
The Register: Ten serious sci-fi films for the sentient fan

I've seen seven of these, and own copies of three of those seven. (Which seven? Which three? I'll tell you later.)

What's your score?

(Edit: Don't treat the numbers as rankings - they're just there to show that, yes, there re ten entries on the list.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thought I was going to get 10 out of 10 or 9 out of 10, but then they threw a couple of curveballs at me at the end. So it's 7 out of 10 for me. 

I've got 8 out of 10 here. I'm just lacking Zardoz and Solaris. Both of which one of my friends probably has on DVD... Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Six and a half out of ten. I've seen parts of a few of them, enough to get the gist, but not sat down and watched the whole films.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I admit to the six and a half as well, with forbidden planet and the day the earth stood still being the halves from seeing bits and or not remembering much at all.

Wow... 9 out of 10. Gattaca was the only one I missed.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

9 out of 10. I've never seen Solaris.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Five out of ten, which is honestly a lot better than I expected. I might be a sucker for worldbuilding, but I'm neither a movie fan nor a believer in The Mission Of The Arts To Uplift The Human Condition.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I was expecting not to have seen any of them, but then I saw Star Trek on the list. My perfect score ruined!

-Morgan, has not seen many movies.

Six.  Never saw 2001, Zardoz, Gattaca, or Solaris; read or skimmed the books for the first two (yes, that's right, I didn't see 2001, but you don't know where I live, so just put away the torches and pitchforks).  And that reviewer's comments on the "Grand Purpose" of science fiction rubbed me as much the wrong way as when Ursula K. Le Guin said (in a non-fiction essay) it shouldn't count as fantasy if the characters use 20th Century speech patterns. 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

DRAG0NFLIGHT Wrote:I've got 8 out of 10 here. I'm just lacking Zardoz and Solaris. Both of which one of my friends probably has on DVD... Smile
If it's the friend we have in common, then I know he's at least seen all ten - including both versions of Solaris, one of which he's shown me.

DHBirr Wrote:And that reviewer's comments on the "Grand Purpose" of science fiction rubbed me as much the wrong way as when Ursula K. Le Guin said (in a non-fiction essay) it shouldn't count as fantasy if the characters use 20th Century speech patterns.
Well, everybody's entitled to an opinion, no matter how overblown that opinion might be stated... And has Ms. le Guin changed her mind, or does she still consider most of Charles de Lint's works to not be fantasy?

Oh, yes - the three I haven't see are Forbidden Planet, Gattica, and Close Encounters. The ones I have copies of are 2001, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Star Trek:TMP.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Well, everybody's entitled to an opinion, no matter how overblown that opinion might be stated... And has Ms. le Guin changed her mind, or does she still consider most of Charles de Lint's works to not be fantasy?
I didn't say he's not entitled to an opinion, just that his way of expressing that opinion -- an opinion with which I don't completely disagree -- irked me.
I don't know if she's changed her mind or not.  If I'm recalling correctly, I read the essay back in 1980 or '81, before de Lint started writing.  But she said something to the effect that characters in fantasy should speak like those in The Worm Ouroboros, forsooth, by'r Lady, and not like those in Katherine Kurtz's Deryni stories, dammit. 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Come on, this guy was into TRUE SCIENCE FICTION before it was cool. Smile

5 out of 10. It'd be six, but Star Trek bored the shit out of me and I went and watched Khan instead.

Well, as I recall, the inner travel sequence inside V'Ger was finished the weekend before the movie went to print, and they hadn't had the time to do a proper editorial cut of the piece. Which is why it runs for so long.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Incompetence is only an explanation, not an excuse. And that's hardly the only problem with that movie. I was bored long before that point. Hell, if I made it that far, I'd probably have kept watching out of a sense of 'well, might as well finish it.'

I've only seen three. And only one's in my library, none of others have grabbed my attention.