Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost missed it....
Almost missed it....
The people who are members of the Cult of the Pink Beam of Befriending have not mentioned that the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd A's is getting a physical release next Friday! I only discovered it was so when I wandered through my regular webstore for such things. So get moving if you haven't managed to pre-order for first pressing or the limited edition.

Had my copy pre-ordered through Amazon.jp since I learned it was going to have English Subs
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

I'm just curious if there's an option for those of us that don't have Japanese region players. I'm suspecting they begin with "fansubs" and end with "acquire a regionless DVD/Blu-Ray player", but I can hope...
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Japan and English-speaking North America share the same Blu-Ray region.

(Of course, regionless DVD players aren't that expensive, especially if you visit your local Chinatown rather than shopping online.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The blu-ray release for this, like Yamato 2199 is region-free. Unlike the DVDs which are region 2. Either way I'm still ahead for I still have a working RPC-1 DVD-rom drive, which when combined with VLC means region coding is not an issue. But then all my big brand standalone players also have no care for regional restrictions & came that way from the factory.

Hrm....

Here's a thought...
  • Laptop optical disc drives all come in the same form factor.
  • Most laptop optical drives are SATA, which has USB-like hot swapping capability.
  • You can only change a drive's region code a few times in its lifetime
  • In order to have a region free DVD player, I have to buy one anyhow.
  • Ergo, just buy a cheap DVD-ROM drive, set it to Region 2, and just swap drives as needed.
Thoughts?

BA, it works up to the point where it fails with a laptop that uses a non-standard or replaceable optical drive. Then there's another thing to remember: Certain DVD publishers are lazy and create a disc image that covers a large portion of the world and just change the outer jacket (some don't even bother doing that).

I know that in my library I've got mainstream DVDs I've bought locally (Australia: R4) that will be able to be played with no issues in a region-locked player(R1:US, R2:UK) due to it having a matching code in it's bootstring. I've also noticed a similar thing occurring with Blu-ray too.

--Rod.H

I know it only works for someone whose laptop has the standardized optical drive slot. Mine does, though, and I was wondering if anyone could think of any drawbacks in a case like mine.

Or use VLC

Unless the drive has a peculiar kind of firmware (My last laptop did until I fixed it with a reflash), it'll make with just about any region and it's mother.

Got my "order shipped" email from CDJapan today...
--
Rob Kelk

And I've received my copy today. Have no clue what's half in the artbox....left alone what's on the other two discs in the jacket. Man, Vita's a scary hammer-welding loli.....

The English sub's are just a little bit off for some bits, I think are few scenes are done literally, & the wordings just off on others. Some of the VA's....I swear I'm hearing Kikuko Inoue, and May'n doing backing singing.

Also, they've kept the tradition of fetishising the initial power-up transform for the main characters.....these movies are so not able to be shown in certain countries without a bit more....y'know. Then again once we get to StrikerS, they still won't be yada yada but the ah-hum factor is diminished.

Quote:Rod H wrote:
 Then again once we get to StrikerS, they still won't be yada yada but the ah-hum factor is diminished.
The next movie is new material, so it won't be a StrikerS remake
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -new-story
On the A's movie itself - soooo pretty. I do miss a couple characters and one specific scene removed from A's TV, but the movie is still very good
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

(Blows dust off thread)

(Coughs in the cloud of dust)

(Blows more dust off thread)

robkelk Wrote:Got my "order shipped" email from CDJapan today...

... And I finally got around to watching it today. (Yes, three years later. My anime backlog pile is that big.)

The pacing is different. I sort-of miss the characters that CrimsonKMR mentioned weren't in the show, but seeing a particular under-utilized character getting a larger role more than made up for it. I think that, if I ever do a Drunkard's Stagger in a Nanoha world, this will be the version I'd set it in.

So, was the third movie ever released? I only see a placeholder page for it on ANN.

EDIT: Oh, yes - Rod H, I think you're mistaking Nana Mizuki (Fate) for Kikuko Inoue (miss not-appearing-in-this-picture) in those BGM vocals.
--
Rob Kelk

That's the thing about the third movie, no one outside of the studio knows. Though Nanoha's VA announcing some sort of retirement last year (2015) caused some panic. I expect to see more EVA and SBY2199 before we see it.