Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I'm not watching new anime this half-year
Why I'm not watching new anime this half-year
(Besides the fact that I'm far too busy, that is.)

From a discussion on Usenet about new anime that we are or aren't watching, evidence that Sturgeon's Law still holds:
On rec.arts.anime.misc, in Message-ID: qtkok8pp0n44bb1kpafa101rn1juapem7g@4ax.com , Galen Wrote:Sennyu - the king of the human world send dozens of "heroes" to murder the king of the demon world, who is a 10 year old girl.
Genre(s): Maou Shoujo, Evil People Do Bad Things.
Our Protagonist is The One weak Man Who Tries To Change Things, but completely fails at life.
Moral: Power Corrupts, therefore virtue is powerless.

My Sister is from Osaka -
Japan has re-invented Jeff Foxworthy as a schoolgirl.

Ai Mai Mi -
3 schoolgirls role-play manga sketches.

OreShura -
evil people torture helpless victims for fun and malice.

MaoYuusha -
this fails at storytelling, but hits a few notes that the manga missed.

Atelier Ayesha (PS3): Alchemist of Dusk
While exploring a ruin, a small child fell from a high place and was mortally wounded. The ruin's emergency system activated and rebuilt her ... but won't let her go because the AI doesn't want to return to standby. The victim's sister has a problem with that.
Gameplay: you can get a platinum game without a walkthrough on your first try; Optional Boss Killer Weapons are much harder to make without someone telling you what traits to select for, because the game won't tell you what an item does until after you make it, and there are lots of items with multiple possible effects.
Grinding: Levels come easy; what you grind are "Memories" - character relationship events. The player's goal is to see all of them. The triggers aren't always obvious.
No Japanese language track.

Atelier Totori Plus (PSV) -
a port of Totori to Vita, stealth released in dual language from Tecmo Koei. Rated 18+ in Australia for extreme sexual violence, this was for 10 year olds in Japan.

Looking forward to: Hyperdimension Neptunia, the anime. which should be a cute girls snarking at "cute girls shows" show.

-Galen

My reply included the sentence "The only titles in the above that catch my interest at all are "Ai Mai Mi" and "Hyperdimension Neptunia," and that might just be because Galen didn't tell us as much about them as he did about the others."

Edit: My reply also asked about a handful of much older shows. Galen's reply to my reply included this: "Kodocha: pioneered Firehose of Consciousness comedy." Something to keep in mind for DW III...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Galen's reply to my reply included this: "Kodocha: pioneered Firehose of Consciousness comedy." Something to keep in mind for DW III...
Heh. Sounds about right.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

robkelk Wrote:Atelier Totori Plus (PSV) -
a port of Totori to Vita, stealth released in dual language from Tecmo Koei.

!!!

... Anyone know if Vitas are region-locked? o.O

Quote:Rated 18+ in Australia for extreme sexual violence, this was for 10 year olds in Japan.

... Yeah, I'm thinking neither of those statements is a particularly accurate representation of the game.

-Morgan.

MaoYuusha - I'll probably be watching this, if only because I love saying 'Fantasy Economics: The Anime' and am not up to fighting with finding a streaming site beside Crunchyroll at the moment.

I've been a fan of the manga of Maoyuu for a while now, so it's probably not a surprise that I'm enjoying the hell out of the animated version. Overall, it probably isn't quite as good, but the manga is very good, so that's survivable, and it's much clearer in the anime just what's up with the merchants.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Morganni Wrote:
Quote:Rated 18+ in Australia for extreme sexual violence, this was for 10 year olds in Japan.

... Yeah, I'm thinking neither of those statements is a particularly accurate representation of the game.

-Morgan.
destructoid.com says the first statement is accurate - but it's more a statement on the classification board in Oz than a statement about the game.
--
Rob Kelk

The Oz ratings board has been outright WEIRD lately.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

The second season of To Aru Kagaku no Railgun is starting very shortly. That will be worth watching.

And of course there's always last season's Sword Art Online, if you haven't already seen it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Well you know, there's always Yamato 2199 for a good anime fix this year. ^_^

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
Well you know, there's always Yamato 2199 for a good anime fix this year. ^_^
*nods* The one thing that will definitely save the whole year, Logan.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Not all is lost.

Coming back to a TV screen near you, Very Soon, and now augmented by the bravest letter in the alphabet. (And a kicking rad scarf...)

http://www.symphogear-g.com/
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
another fun one
There's also "World of Tanks: The Anime"  officially known as Girls und Panzer.
Its a hilarious little show and great if you like historical accuracy... in your tanks alone.  On the other hand just think of the fun crossovers you could write with this series.

Playing with 'There ain't no rule against it' also works much more believably with war games than with many other events.

Seconding this, very hard.

Trying to figure this world out... They got freaking city-ships!?!?! The hell!?

... Gimme just one P-38... just to deal with the more stuck-up ones.

skychan Wrote:There's also "World of Tanks: The Anime" officially known as Girls und Panzer.

Its a hilarious little show and great if you like historical accuracy... in your tanks alone. On the other hand just think of the fun crossovers you could write with this series.
Girls und Panzer and Those Who Hunt Elves, perhaps?
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Girls und Panzer and Those Who Hunt Elves, perhaps?
(ponders) ...what would the cat-spirit do in that situation?
(snrk) Try courting the other tanks?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Seconding this, very hard.

Trying to figure this world out... They got freaking city-ships!?!?! The hell!?
Not only cityships, it's outright stated that every single school is a city ship, and from all appearances Oarai is tiny in comparison to the other schools. Mind, these aren't cityships in the way of 'there's a few thousend crew and passengers on this ship,' these are city ships as in 'the topmost deck of this ship is a city.'

Yeah. Viewed from afar they look like WW2 aircraft carriers.

Until you realize that the 'flight deck' is at least a mile -across-, and proportionately long... big enough for a fairly large town, and enough wilderness for Tankery practice.

There's an episode where the girls descend into the bowels of the ship, looking for tank parts. There is apparently a dedicated crew, who wear uniforms of some sort.

The ships do come in to shore every so often - it's a big deal for the students, kind of like Hogsmeade weekends - their big chance to shop and such.

And it appears to be worldwide. We have at least two Japanese schools named, with the suggestion that there are several more. And at least one each American, British, and Russian. All of them sailing the same ocean, close enough that they can meet up easily for tournaments...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.