---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Song of the Day, 2/25/04
ok. i just have to ask:
what the hell is a kyrie eleison???
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Kyrie Eleison
Kyrie Eleison is Greek for "Lord, have mercy upon us,". Commonly used in Mass, the litany of the saints, and is the most common name given to the response used by the church of England, and the Protestant faith.
----
"Benefits of a classical education."
- Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
Quick correction
It's the common response to the 10 commandments. Whenever that part of a service is held. (can't seem to get the edit function to work... )
More fun!
Hmmm, sounds like Bob has big plans for Maddy-chan... Wink
Re: More fun!
Huh?
I do?

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: Kyrie Eleison
Quote:
Kyrie Eleison is Greek for "Lord, have mercy upon us,"
Actually, it's just "Lord have mercy".

-- Bob
---------
Re: Quick correction
Quote:
(can't seem to get the edit function to work... )
Might be because you're an unregistered user, Dragonflight...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Quick correction
And for today's donation to lateral thinking theatre...
I did choir a lot in high school. We once did a version of _Kyrie_ in which the following was repeated over and over:
"kyrie eleison, in excelsis deo"
Which doesn't make any sense if you translate it.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
I thought it was "Angels be by my side." That's why when I made an unlucky (as in, whenever you need someone's mecha getting pounded for fluff text, half to 2/3 the time its her) background character for Virtual Mekton, I named her 'Kerry Ellison' - with her luck, the angels had better be on her side!
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
Quote:

I thought it was "Angels be by my side." That's why when I made an unlucky (as in, whenever you need someone's mecha getting pounded for fluff text, half to 2/3 the time its her) background character for Virtual Mekton, I named her 'Kerry Ellison' - with her luck, the angels had better be on her side!

"Lord have mercy" also works.... it's probably among her more common saings,. right up there with "oh no, not again" and "it seemed like a good idea at the time" Smile
----
----
No, no, Kerry is one of those Usagi types who's a little clutzy and keeps geetting into awkward spots through strange luck, but somehow manages to get through mostly intact and stays cheerful. Her VM, the SuperCanard, on the other hand... Well, I think I've written it being destroyed outright three times, and mentioned it taking hits a half dozen or so. I don't remember if it showed up in the "entire roster plus a bunch of walk ons" battle or not, but if so it didn't survive long. I even drew a picture of it for one of the more spectacular deaths, and still tihnk I should do a 3d model someday. The world needs more giant combat robots with duck bills.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Registering
Actually, I tried. But someone else somewhere else has it locked in, and I've been using Dragonflight for over a decade now. I'm not minded to change at this point. Smile
Re: Registering
I have the same problem, of my name being already in use elsewhere. Since I don't much care about other ezBoards, at least not for the time being, I simply chose the "local name only" option rather than trying to choose another name; I have others I could use, but I like this one and see no reason to not use it since I can.
Quote:
Her VM, the SuperCanard, on the other hand...
Quote:
The world needs more giant combat robots with duck bills.
Does it play an instrument too? If so, I certainly hope it's a 4-string guitar tuned low in the octaves.
Then it would be a Bass Canard.Brazil has decided you're cute.
We gladly ignore such bass canards.
Then again, you could always fix it to the nose of an airplane...

-- Bob
---------
Bass canards?
Je regrette, Monsieur. Je ne parle pas en Franais.
Por quoi?
Je suis un canard gigantique! Vraiment!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Kerry Ellison
Quote:
Does it play an instrument too? If so, I certainly hope it's a 4-string guitar tuned low in the octaves.
Then it would be a Bass Canard
No, but my one of my own VMs has a six-string Battle Guitar, and Aika Brightstar often sings in the cockpit in her role as Official Idol of Virtual Mekton. We could get a bass for Kerry and have Chris in the Diamondback (picture a beeeeg, beeeeeg tank, with legs, and dual railcannons firing ammo that does about as much damage as your average VM has torso Kills, times the number of times he succeeds the to-hit roll by) on percussion...
Yes, I know what joke you were trying to make. I just decided to run away from the punchline.

- CD, currently working on a design that goes three times the normnal maximum speed... but that's nothin'; I've done a supersonic tunneling buldozer before.
--
Re: Bass canards?
Quote:
Je regrette, Monsieur. Je ne parle pas en Franais.
Well, in French, "canard" can mean (among several other things), "duck" or "hoax/lie". "Base canard" is a melodramatic way of calling something an outrageous lie. And some varieties of aircraft have little wings on the nose -- these are also called "canards".

-- Bob
---------