Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, has anyone played Bioshock Infinite yet?
So, has anyone played Bioshock Infinite yet?
I'm in the middle of playing it right now... I think I'm fairly close to the end, if the other two games in the series are anything to go by.  (I pretty much shotgunned the first two games sequentially before going on to play Infinite.)
Now, even more than the other two Bioshock games... this has a palpable sense of bad going to worse all the time.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that any of you who play this will have a series of "Oh FUCK" moments where the F-bomb becomes increasingly emphasized in fervor with each major plot point.
Bioshock's Good End was indeed a good end.
Bioshock 2's Good End was bittersweet and a borderline tearjerker.
I am hoping that Inifinite's Good End doesn't rip my heart out and stomp on it.

I beat it within a week of it coming out (currently put aside because 1999 mode is frustrating me a tad, but I'll get back to it at some point).  It is bittersweet, yes, but I don't think you need to worry about heart removal.

Here's a spoiler that doesn't actually give away any plot:
Bioshock Infinite only has one end.
I got about halfway into the game before setting it aside.  It feels just like Bioshock, and after playing 1.75 games worth of that (a quarter of the first, all of 2, and half of Infinite), I'm rather bored with it.  Same basic weapons, same basic abilities, sky rails added, research taken out, a different pretentious plot... there may be a few new elements, but the feel is unchanged, as best I can tell.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Bioshock's Good End was indeed a good end.
Bioshock 2's Good End was bittersweet and a borderline tearjerker.
I am hoping that Inifinite's Good End doesn't rip my heart out and stomp on it.
It is... an odd ending, but the thing that struck me so much about Bioshock Infinite was that it was almost as if you where playing during the fall of Rapture. You watch this city go from it's greatest heights to being torn apart by the warring factions.
I really enjoyed it and will probably replay it to find more recordings and such and I am really looking forward to the DLC, because it is apparently all single player.

Played it through twice. Have beaten the first one innumerable times. Only ever played the 2nd through once as it just wasn't that good (give me a room full of Big Sisters to fight any day over having to fight a single Big Daddy).

By the end of the game you'll have more face-palms than F-Bombs (at least, in my case) as the plot is revealed and you realize you've been staring at the answers the entire time (and they're not hiding anything) you played the game.

Did notice some bizarre changes in the 2nd playthrough . . . like comments made about your first playthrough. It was interesting, but since the ending didn't change, I'll wait for the DLC before playing through it again.

Quote:Mark Skarr wrote:
Did notice some bizarre changes in the 2nd playthrough . . . like comments made about your first playthrough. It was interesting, but since the ending didn't change, I'll wait for the DLC before playing through it again.
Me: "BWAAAH!?"Tsojat: "Seriously?"
Second Thought: Of course, when your entire game is based on trans-dimensional fuckery...

One of the things I noticed is that some of the choices you were offered in the first playthrough, weren't offered in the second--you did the opposite.

Constants... and variables.

Okay, I just finished playing and all I can say is... "Wut?"

I mean, I get the whole deal with dimensional alternates of yourself, but fuck that shit!

I actually liked the ending, because it opens up the series to almost everything.

You could do a bioshock in any time period and in any location.

"There is always a man, a light house and a city."

Quote:dark seraph wrote:
I actually liked the ending, because it opens up the series to almost everything.

You could do a bioshock in any time period and in any location.

"There is always a man, a light house and a city."
Yeah, but they imply^H^H^H^H^H^H outright state that the end is always the same!!!  The only point this doesn't bear out is in the first game.*  Unless the DLC goes in an otherwise different direction, I'm not going to hold out for hope on this game much longer.
*EDIT: hence there only being one ending in the game, QED.

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:
Quote:Yeah, but they imply^H^H^H^H^H^H outright state that the end is always the same!!!  The only point this doesn't bear out is in the first game.*  Unless the DLC goes in an otherwise different direction, I'm not going to hold out for hope on this game much longer.
Not exactly. The line in question:

Quote:Constants and variables. There's always a lighthouse, you, me, a Songbird. But sometimes something's different... yet the same.
We start in different oceans, but end up on the same shore. It always starts with a lighthouse.

"End up on the same shore" is not the same as "end on the same shore". The Lighthouse is that shore, and by implication, every Bioshock protagonist will go to a lighthouse in the course of their journey. However, where they go from there is capable of being drastically different. Columbia is not Rapture, and the reasons behind the people manipulating Booker and the ones controlling Jack are drastically different.
As one thread put it, the constants are there. There is a Man, who starts at a Lighthouse, and must rescue a Prisoner from their Protector. But what happens after that... becomes very, very different. 

Even in the context of Bioshock Infinite itself, constants only breed variables. We see all the variable paths Infinite could take leading to the constant that is its single ending... which leads to the finale scene, which is constant, but presents infinite variables where it could go from there. The loop is broken. Things have started anew. Where do we go from here?
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

... and OM proves his skill with words as this was pretty much what I was thinking, but could never explain. (Blame failing English for about 4 years straight, stupid Aussie schools.)

During the game, we see 3 different Columbia's.

In the first one, Booker is the "villain" of the people with the Vox Populie reduced to nothing more than vermin, something to joke about. From Vox recordings and such, we learn that while Daisy has the desire to lead the revolution, she lacks the people skill.

Second reality has the founders and the vox on semi equal footing, while in the third, we have all out war. Booker never met Elizabeth, but as a former solider, turned the Vox from a rabble to a full blown army, with Daisy trying to guide it.... then Booker died and Daisy used him as a Mayter to steer the war.

I really hope the DLC lets us play with the different universes, because I want to know how things played out in the first one.

I'm actually a little more interested in how after the siphon is destroyed we immediately arrive at the beginning scenes of the first Bioshock.

It's not the beginning scenes, just the starting area.

Spoilered for those who haven't beaten the game [+]

The effects of the siphon were dampening Liz's power. Remember earlier in the game where she said that her ability has been getting weaker; that she used to be able to go where-/when-ever she wanted vice now only being able to open existing tears?  She has that back, and effective omniscience due to being able to see all timelines. So, when Booker drops the flute, she transfers them to Rapture to put Songbird down, then uses it as a starting point for the rest of the ending mindscrew.