Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hardest Part of Anything New...
The Hardest Part of Anything New...
...is naming it.
I'm about to get a new laptop- a Lenovo X230 with the works.  It's a personally-owned work machine- light on the graphics, but heavy on power, endurance, and portability.(How many 12.5" laptops do you know of with a 3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, three SSDs, and 20ish hours of battery life?  This one.)
I'm planning to load it up with the newest version of Mint Linux, and then throw on virtual machines- Windows XP and 7, to be sure, but possibly Mac OS as well.  I'm not ruling out a Win8 VM, either- one of the goals here is for this guy to be able to pass for any other machine here (save for the engineering machines- this ain't running Solidworks on its best day).
But what name should it have?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Do you have a naming scheme for your systems?  I find it easier to name new hardware if i have a scheme in place.  For example, my whole home system (router/main PC/PS3/Backup PC/Backup USB Storage device) are all named after the Wolkenwritter.
But if you don't, you could always call it Powerslide
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
our glory will prevail

Well, my usual scheme is mythological (mostly gods, demons, and things belonging to them).  My main PC is Verthandi, my old laptop (which had Vista) was Mephistopheles, and my current one is Heimdall, if memory serves.
I've considered breaking the scheme, as a number of names outside of it seem fitting.  Megaman, the Energizer Bunny, and Fairlight Excalibur (the best deck in an older edition of Shadowrun) all seem apt.
...Why 'Powerslide'?

I've been writing a bit.

Well, if you want something that can fit in to most anything, the mythological Trickster archetype would be appropriate. Loki, Coyote, Kitsune, etc.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I was watching a bit too much Transformers, Blue.  Also, its a linux box, so why not?
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

I'd recommend on the the Penguins from Madagascar, myself.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I use sci-fi/anime spaceships, so I have Yamato (the old many-times-rebuilt linux box), SolBianca (the mac), Enterprise (the sleek and storebought HP windows machine), Ryo-Oh-Ki the once-upon-a-time-high-end laptop...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

How can you have more than four objects named after the Wolkenritter?
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

You could include their Devices as well, I suppose. That takes you up to eight, ten if you include Agito and Rein.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Or maybe he's named the main PC Hayate.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I'm going to have to go with Loki, so Ankhani gets an especially good cookie.It fits the scheme all my other not-terrible devices are tied to, and it just thematically makes sense.  After all, I'll be able to get into all sorts of mischief with it...
I did have to step back to two SSDs, since every Expresscard SSD ever made is apparently a major POS (you get slow HDD-level performance for 2-3 months, and then you lose all your data).  On the upside, that's a 256GB Crucial m4 mSATA boot/OS drive, and a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro storage drive.  I think I'll name the first one Tom, and the second one Stanley. ^^
On a less related note, does anybody tie their phones/tablets into a scheme?  I used to call my iPod Touch the "Right Hand of Death", and my phone the "Left Hand of Cake".

I've been writing a bit.

ClassicDrogn Wrote:You could include their Devices as well, I suppose. That takes you up to eight, ten if you include Agito and Rein.
Eleven if you include the original Reinforce.

My naming convention is "name it after the cutest supporting character in whatever anime I'm marathoning when I bought the box." Thus, my main rendering machine is Mikuru, the old Win2K box I still use for websurfing is Tomoyo, and so on...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hang on, if you named your current PC after the Fate of The Present, then it can only be fair that you call this one the Fate of The Future: Sküld!
(edited for spelling)
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Quote:Kurisu wrote:
Hang on, if you named your current PC after the Fate of The Present, then it can only be fair that you call this one the Fate of The Future: Sküld!
(edited for spelling)
...It (well, the current set of specs for it; I've been continuously upgrading the same machine since 2006ish) was Sküld until I had it.  Now, it's Verthandi.  Can't be the Future once it hits the Present, after all. ^^
I've retroactively renamed every previous configuration of my desktop Urðr, too.  We're up to four or five of her now.

I've been writing a bit.

...then does this make your Desktop, Ürd?
(Gah... slow on the upchuck, on my part....)
Wait.... Then this makes all versions after Ürd... The Tapestry.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

So Loki came in today, and already, it's living up to its name.
The Lenovo X230 is a wonderful size (even with the added batteries!), and quite well made.  It's an impressive piece of equipment... but I spent quite a while stressing myself out working on it.  Learned some lessons, too.
-It doesn't like Linux (or rather, Linux doesn't like it).  Graphical issues, looks like- it'll run, but some flavors can't output to the screen, and other flavors can't do it quite right.  The ones that do can't make secure Wi-Fi connections, which I need.  Going to have to run Win7 with a Linux VM- piggyback the safer OS on the better Windows drivers.
-It can't boot from an mSATA drive.  No biggie- I'll just have to install Windows to the main SSD, and use the mSATA for storage.  The system recognizes it just fine.
-It loathes the USB3 external CD drive I have with a burning passion.  Found out how to make a USB Win7 boot stick to counter this.
Still, the fact that I may be able to do what I'm trying to do AT ALL is impressive, and it's really a good piece of kit.  As good as a 13" MBP- less presentation, but more performance/value/endurance.

I've been writing a bit.