Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you backed up YOUR PC today?
Have you backed up YOUR PC today?
Just a friendly reminder to back up your PC, and not click errant banners.  I caught the Department of Justice Ransomware bug thats going around today and a system restore saved my ass (and a car drive).  6 hours later and i'm still dealing with it however.
And if you don't know what that is...
http://botcrawl.com/the-united-states-d ... us-remove/
here ya go.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]

Ouch!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

After you back up your files, test that you can restore them.

(There's at least one manufacturer of external hard drives out there that bundles free backup software with their hardware. However, the restore software is not included, and will cost you. I won't name them here; the scheme is described - in small type - on the side of the store box.)

An unusable backup is worse than useless, because it gives you a false sense of security. If you don't have any backup, you know you're one bad sector away from losing everything. If you have a bad backup, you think you aren't... but you are.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

That bug is particularly unpleasant. There are several flavors of it, some of which will actually infect your system restore.

Your best shot for disabling it (so other things can remove it!) is to start your computer up in command prompt safe mode and opening explorer.exe and THEN msconfig to get to the offending item in startup. Note Well: This only works for MOST flavors of the bug, not all of them.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

I know I've done a backup, but I can't restore due to a change of OS state. I do however have a saved user state, which partially functions as a backup.