Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF Images of the Day Go Fourth!

blackaeronaut Wrote:Mazda RX-8? NICE.

Sometime I am definitely gonna have to visit Ireland and do the tourist thing for a bit.

Dartz, you oughta come here during spring or autumn - the heat's not as oppressive (though you may want to siesta in the midday regardless). You can rent a motorcycle and take it out to the hill country out west. Greenery and farmland is like what you have pictured, only with HILLS. Not little ones, BIG HILLS. Some with sheer cliff faces (these would be the fault lines we have here - no worries, very stable). Absolutely glorious to see during sunrise. You'd halfway expect some orchestra to start up with Pines of Rome or something.

Thanks...

Unfortunately, I'll be conspicuously absent of enough money to do anything like that for quite a while to come. (Annual tax is 650. Annual insurance is 1300. Oh, and 15L/100km at 1.58 a litre of petrol (About 8 Dollars a Gallon, If I did it right). Yeah... car ownership.

I know what you mean. Poor Scrappy is at the point in his life where a lot of stuff starts wearing out. The radiator recently sprung a slow (but manageable) leak, so I need to replace it... about 130 USD. :p Also, pretty sure I'll need to have the clutch plates replaced sometime here... from what the previous owner told me, it's never been done and Scrappy is at 200k miles. (These trucks are legendary with long-lived clutches, but even that has a limit.) Good thing I don't have to pull the engine to get at the damn thing like you do with other cars.

Oh! That reminds me. If memory serves correctly, there was a 2.5L turbo diesel option for my truck in the UK... One does wonder what it would take to import one of those beasties.

The NHTSA will seize and crush, most likely. They were basically specifically lobbied by Mercedes to do that, for the sake of cutting off cheaper grey-import cars. Even though it's technically the same car. Importing an engine and dropping it in would probably be more likely. But even then you have EPA laws and stuff. It's a legal minefield, and apparently intentionally so. Protectionism, ho!

I've learned to hate diesel however. Especially for passenger cars. It's only popular because of taxation quirks when buying the car that make it cheaper - but changing technology is closing that fast. And petrol smells better.

200k is a proper impressive mileage though. I don't think I've ever seen a car up at 200,000 miles though..... maybe a few taxis, but most tend to be shuffled off to other pastures before getting anywhere close to that. That's the equivelant of over 20 years average mileage over here. Roads, and people's general conception that 'maintenance' is just a scam by the dealers tends to mean Irish cars have short lives. Buy a brand new BMW 520d bargain-basement spec model on finance, just to own a new BMW, and then never even change the oil in the thing for four years before acting surprised when the crankshaft finally drops out of it - that's motoring in Ireland to a tee. It also means it's gone bang before they've paid it off, and the dealer tells them to FO when they try claim warranty....

The 8's not even a third of the way there yet.

Ayway... image tax

Pussy and Bush

Dartz, those images are wide enough that they are breaking the page for me. Would you be willing to put them in spoiler tags?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

This will bring back some Hanna-Barbara memories...

*edit*
Embed video instead of broken link
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein

Probably easier just to import the whole freakin' truck then.And I probably would if I could find the four-door model, because that's just too damn good to pass up.  :p

Impressive would be if I rolled this bad boy to 400k. I fully intend to keep it going that long at the very least. Pretty sure an engine overhaul is in order because I've noticed that over an extended period of time Scrappy will eat a quart or two of oil (on the order of 1qt/1k mi). Not horrible, but still a sign of wear on the engine. Nice thing is, though... This is an LL25 engine. It is also known as an LRG-425, which is used in things like generators, fork lifts, and compressors.  See what I'm getting at?  *waggles eyebrows*  See, having a spare engine core - a working one no less! - is a big deal.  If I can get my hands on that, do my first rebuild on that one... Then it's a simple matter of just swapping engines and rebuilding in my leisure.  Love to do the same with the transmission, too.

Fun Trivia: Its part of the exact same family of engines that was in the Ford Pinto. Now, I know that some of you are thinking, but the thing is that while Pintos explodicated nicely, their engines were ridiculously well made.  I love making people's eyes bug out by telling them it's basicly a larger, stroked version of the turbo charged 2.3L engine option that was put in the Mustangs at the time. Drive this truck like you would a Mustang and it will try to behave like one.

Just wish I knew where to find a turbo kit for it...

Only a quart? That's a healthy engine so. So long as it's not belching smoke or showing signs of the head-gasket going that'll be fine. Unless it's guzzling it and you're adding oil every fillup, it's not a problem. I'll go through a litre every 1000km, and that's not including the oil I add to the petrol as well, which is about 1 Litre every two tanks. An Rx is not kind to the planet...

And that Ford Pinto engine was used in just about everything until not too long ago

Highly amusing, RMH. I always did like the old Wacky Races cartoons. Smile
EDIT: I now realize that the only way that could have been better.... would be if the driver of the Peugeot... Was The Stig.

[Image: bloomcounty_zps7b2ebeed.gif][Image: rlaJune1814_zpsba86dec1.gif][Image: tundra01-24-08_zpse24ff0f7.jpg][Image: rlaJune514_zpsfe756ec2.gif][Image: Disneyonice_zpsdcbd111d.jpg][Image: Calvin15minutes_zpsbbd8d0c5.gif][Image: rlaJune2314_zpsdec77af8.gif][Image: rlaJune814_zpsba81da37.jpg]

[Image: 71510.jpg]

[Image: romansegway_zps0454e42e.jpg][Image: soccergolieStig_zps468bd342.jpg][Image: carart_zpse29790fa.jpg][Image: Hiccupcosplay_zpsf11d8cce.jpg][Image: batpuppy_zps95fa672d.jpg][Image: Indyandboulder_zpsb309d6e2.png][Image: Ilikebigbooks_zps386fc62a.jpg][Image: books_zps364617c8.jpg]

I had to go to Photobucket and click "zoom" a couple of times, but once I did, I was very impressed by that collection of cosplay images.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

yeah, that one didn't show up as well as I'd hoped.

[Image: 72316d1940a60ce305e817b0412d959b2aaf3831.jpg][Image: 0ea367f112214322ad3001cce8e3097bdf459e0e.jpg]
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

DeviantART in a nutshell (well, technically two, but still...):

(WARNING: Big! Click the URLs to see them.)

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 117509.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 94/36c.jpg

There has to be at least one panel in there that'll make you laugh!Big Grin

.... Tennie, what resolution is your monitor set to? Because holy hell...

Black Aeronaut Wrote:.... Tennie, what resolution is your monitor set to? Because holy hell...

1920 x 1080.

...Aaand even then it looks like it's still a bit big for even that. What resolution would you recommend toning it down to?

Quote:Tennie wrote:
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
.... Tennie, what resolution is your monitor set to? Because holy hell...

1920 x 1080.

...Aaand even then it looks like it's still a bit big for even that. What resolution would you recommend toning it down to?
800 wide is usually a good starting point. 1000 wide should be your maximum. Both should fit on a 1280x720 monitor.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Keep in mind, most laptops I've ever used are around 1366x768...

My biggest monitor (at the moment) is 1680×1050. My notebook's monitor is 1024×600.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

After trying to reduce the sizes of the pics and (A.) not getting their proportions correct and (B.) not being able to make them still be readable, I decided to simply have the URLs be links to the actual pics.  Hope that helps! Smile

(Apologies for the double-post, but I found this and couldn't resist.)

Sailor Moon 1992:

[Image: tumblr_n8yqt314hH1tymlapo1_500.jpg]

Sailor Moon 2014:

[Image: tumblr_n8yqt314hH1tymlapo2_500.jpg]

The more things change...

[Image: tumblr_n07a70gI631rhavdko10_r2_500_zpsbdb2bcdc.png][Image: TPprank_zps1bb32f06.jpg][Image: GoTauditions_zps2d126492.jpg][Image: catlaserjpg_zps103a9ff2.jpg][Image: otter_vs_beaver_zps0130d22d.jpg][Image: riceandchopsticks_zpsa7b156f2.jpg][Image: cardecal_zps68683fa6.jpg][Image: fishtank_zps70b2e3a3.jpg]

[Image: Rhinogoal_zps91380c91.gif][Image: lightweight_zps1a9d4a77.gif][Image: Kittenmilk_zpsb385da1b.gif][Image: waitwhat_zps8292d9d4.gif][Image: kittenleap_zps4a2818fa.gif][Image: Matrixparody_zps1f6f48aa.gif][Image: kidvskid_zps7fdd4f1d.gif][Image: missedornot_zpsf69d51bd.gif]
This is in response to one of the last suggestions posted on the previous NanoSteps Brainstorming.  I would've sworn I'd already posted it somewhere on this forum, but I didn't find it when I looked.
Don't piss off the cute battleship (IJN Kongou).
[Image: DontPOtheCuteBattleship_zps6221d8a6.jpg]
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.