Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Jack Vance
RIP Jack Vance
http://www.jackvance.com/jackvance_05262013/]Jack Vance died last Sunday.

(tips hat)

I think we all know who he was, and how big an influence he had on fantasy fiction (and, by extension, dungeon-crawl roleplaying).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Damn.  Damn.  Damn.
"While we are alive, we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past."
-- Maske: Thaery, 1976, last sentence of dialogue

A reviewer once commented as follows:
Quote:But it is in the arch, bone-dry, ironic mode of dialogue Vance assigns his characters that his wit, and his genius with language, is perhaps most manifest.  The speeches Vance puts in his characters’ mouths are often not at all plausible, but therein lies their very charm:  a dull, stupid, ignorant, old man in a cheap bar remarking that “In this life events bend to no such kindly patterns.”

I love Vance's "implausible" dialogue.  Although his narrative is delicious, too:  
Quote:Skirlet's jaw dropped.  Jaro had disparaged herself, the Clam Muffins, and the whole gorgeous panoply of cosmic order in one fell swoop!  His insolence was amazing!  She finally found her voice, but before speaking paused to select words of proper impact.  The job must be done well and truly, but no fear as to that:  she was Skirlet Hutsenreiter; using no instrument other than her glorious intelligence, she would overwhelm this prideful though rather nice-looking youth!  She would conquer him and befuddle him until he stood before her abject and submissive, and there could be no thought of clemency until he had cried for mercy.  After that--well, she would see, and might even consider a kindly pat on the head.
-- Night Lamp, 1996
Note:  the "Clam Muffins," despite the silly name, are a prestigious social club on the planet Thanet. 

-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Shows what I know; I wasn't aware he was still alive.

For those who have not read his work, be aware that D&D swiped the "memorize and cast" spell system from his "Dying Earth" series.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Shows what I know; I wasn't aware he was still alive.

For those who have not read his work, be aware that D&D swiped the "memorize and cast" spell system from his "Dying Earth" series.
And they gave him credit for it in the text.
What those it says about me that one of my first reactions was being concerned that his grave may be vandalised by some gamer that wanted to get for himself the real "Hand of Vecna" ?