Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Continues
Star Trek Continues
Why don't people tell me about these things?
[video=vimeo]//player.vimeo.com/video/66784863[/video]Star Trek Continues E01 "Pilgrim of Eternity" from Star Trek Continues on Vimeo.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Good Lord.  I'd seen references to something along these lines ... but none of them conveyed how much of a labor of love this must be.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I dunno.... Grant Imahara without a mob of robots running around underfoot? Breaks my WSOD. Big Grin

Whoa. My boss just told me about this on Friday afternoon... thanks for saving me the effort of finding it myself!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

This is some incredible work to be sure. They've really paid attention to details and the actors are both taking it seriously and doing a good job. Even the structure of the episode is just like what you'd expect of the period. 
But - just as with Star Trek - The New Voyages (another fan based extension of the original series with a lot of sincerity and high production values) there's just something... jarring... about seeing everything perfect down to the finest detail... and then seeing a different actor in each of the familiar roles. It's not their fault at all. As I said - they're doing a good job with the portrayals! It's simply unavoidable. It's almost akin to the "uncanny valley" effect with in regards to computer animation. To be SO close to perfection, but not quite... It would almost be better if the rest of the production was NOT as good. 

I think that's why I buy into the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies so well and don't have the same "almost there but not quite" sense. It's precisely because those movies are largely a re-imagining rather than a re-creation that having different actors in the roles doesn't bother me. There's a mental switch that's flipped. A perspective that's changed. I'm not looking for the ways in which something is not perfect according to the original because that's been thrown out the window. Instead, I'm-  if you'll forgive me - fascinated by the differences rather than being jarred out of the story by them.

Mind you - I did largely get over that nagging sense with Star Trek - The New Voyages and learned to like it. And I'm only barely past the first act on this episode so I'm definitely giving it a chance. I just wanted to write about this idea and feeling while it was still fresh in my mind. 

Plus... is that Grant Imahara as Sulu??? 

It *is* Grant Imahara as Sulu; it's also Christopher Doohan, son of James Doohan playing Scotty, and in the episode above, Michael Forest, the original actor who played Apollo in the TOS episode "Who Mourns for Adonais" reprising his role.

And I think the whole thing is absolutely *brilliantly* done.

It's GORGEOUSLY lit. I mean it screams Desilu 60s studio and Budget.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Listening to the computer voice... Is that Marina Sirtis? It sounds a lot like her.
Edit: Yes it is. Also, it's interesting to note that Jamie Bamber, the actor who played Lee Adama in the recent Battlestar Galactica remake also had a cameo in the show as a "redshirt" systems engineer. Plenty of Apollo Easter eggs to be had in this show!
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Just wanted to say that - having watched the rest of the episode - that was absolutely wonderful. Tear-jerking even. Loved the final coda!