Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Comic Book
Looking For A Comic Book
I'm trying to identify a comic book I saw years ago that I was just telling a coworker about -- but I can't remember the title, the publisher or more than the rough period it came out.
It was an independent, black and white comic, very large format, whose entire content was two superbeings duking it out in a city and demolishing it thereby.  It had, to the best of my recollection, no or almost no dialogue, just sound effects.  I think it came out in the late 80s or maybe the early 90s.
Does this ring a bell for anyone?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
A friend showed me a copy some years ago.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... s/destroy/
Destroy comic

That does indeed sort of look like my fragmentary memories of the cover. Thank you!
-- Bob
---------

A friend of mind actually has that comic. It's an oversize print, sort of A4 size booklet. So it may not scan well. That might make it difficult to find a .cbr copy online. But it's a wonderful piece of work. It has the hero character trying to stop the out of control Hulk stand-in character while they demolish the city. After it's all over, something happens to push the mild-mannered hero over the edge, and he starts wrecking things too.
In many ways, it's the comic book precursor to the Superman/Zod fight from the latest Superman movie.
Edit: I actually did find a single copy available for sale on Amazon.com for about $40. It's a tad expensive for a single comic book, but it's probably fairly collectible at this point.
http://www.amazon.com/DESTROY-Loudest-C ... B000M14TU4
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Oooh! No wonder it's collectible! It was done by Scott McCloud, famous for Zot! And Understanding Comics! I have many issues of Zot somewhere stored away as well as the first trade paperback and a copy of Understanding Comics. If you can get your hands on any of his stuff, as long as it's not outrageously overpriced, DO IT!
Quote:[i]Understanding Comics received praise from notable comic and graphic novel authors such as Art SpiegelmanWill EisnerAlan Moore,Neil Gaiman and Garry Trudeau (who reviewed the book for the New York Times), and was called "one of the most insightful books about designing graphic user interfaces ever written" by Apple Macintosh co-creator Andy Hertzfeld.[1] Although the book has prompted debate over many of McCloud’s conclusions,[2] its discussions of "iconic" art and the concept of "closure" between panels have become common reference points in discussions of the medium.[/i]

Quote:In many ways, it's the comic book precursor to the Superman/Zod fight from the latest Superman movie.
Precisely why I was trying to remember it -- I was explicitly drawing the parallel while discussing the movie with a coworker.
-- Bob
---------
Understanding Comics
I have a couple of his books on Comic Theory and they are required reading if you are even thinking of putting pen to paper, of digital stylus to tablet.  They are good reading even if you never intent to do so - but want to learn more about the art.  Chapters and Amazon carry them for about $20.00 bucks a pop; well worth your hard earned.