Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDCC 2013
SDCC 2013
Here's the definition of irony:I flew into San Diego this past Monday on an "emergency" field service call.
I'm here all week, flying out first thing Saturday morning.
Every hotel for *miles* is booked solid.
I'm working 12-15hr days all week so far, so even if I had the money, I couldn't work up the energy to go deal with any of the SDCC insanity.  Or the spillover insanity downtown.
What's REALLY ironic?  This kind of thing happens to me ALL. THE. TIME.  I got to San Diego last year *one week* after SDCC... and lived out here for *six months.*
If anyone needs me, I'll be over in the corner, quietly hating my life (or at least the Strange Luck part of it).

I'd make the recommendation of getting out of downtown proper. Hop on the Trolley and head East. I'm sure you can find a hotel.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I'd still recommend getting in at least a few hours, maybe just walking the main hall, or taking pictures of cosplayers. Just wander the site and enjoy the feel of the place. Don't bother with anything too energetic. Maybe have dinner there after work, if you can stand con prices. Smile
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Don't worry, he can't get into Harbor Drive Convention Center... (Where the Comic Con is) ...'sides, who would want to pay THOSE prices?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I did, in fact, drive by. And went to dinner at a restaurant linked to one of the hotels that was offering bus service. I have to say, SDCC might be fun to watch from a distance, but I'm regretting not being able to attend rather less. What a logjam!

Although I have to say, San Diego really knows how to roll out the red carpet for the 'con -- bus service everywhere, all hours of the day and night, lots of signage and remote parking, and even the hotel staffs (that I saw) seemed to be into it. I've been to Worldcons that had a much more "meh" reception.

Then again, considering how much money this madhouse brings into the SD hotel/restaurant/tourist industry....