Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY
RWBY
I figured it would be better to have a thread specifically titled for RWBY than to have to keep looking for "Monty Oum's Latest Work".
Oh, and as I type this, episode 4 is 1 hour and 37 minutes from release.
And here's a generic link to RWBY content on RoosterTeeth.
ETA:  Goddamned Yuku link handling.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Episode 4 is out, and it's good.
I have to say- the headmaster is made of win and sinister.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I'm rather amused that Pyrrha seems to be into Jaune even before he's aware of the fact she's there. Want to see more of her, given she seems to be the "nice" popular kid in contrast to Weiss.

Weiss, meanwhile, is hysterical, especially with the evil plotting face. Hopefully she'll mellow out eventually, though. Probably when they're forced onto the same team. I'm kind of expecting to see Ruby-Weiss and Blake-Yang get duo'd up in the forest test, before they get welded together into a 4 man team. (Though Ruby-Blake would be interesting, given how they got along pretty well during the 'slumber party')
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Episode 5 is up.

Gah! Smile
I was just getting set, a grin settling on my face as I anticipated the team-fight with Weiss and Ruby, and then it cuts to credits. That's just mean!
Also, that series deserves the full episode treatment. They should extend that into a proper series.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

"...nailed it."
Why is Yang so awesome?  Wait, I take that back.  Why is Awesome so Yang?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

The problem they have is they are trying to maintain a weekly release schedule.

They could do a full 22 and a half minute episode... but you'd have to wait a month between episodes.

But given the sheer amount of story telling they get done in about 5 minutes... wow.

And can you say "Cliffhanger"? I suspect we'll see a few more as the series progresses.

It makes more sense when you realize the full "season" is essentially a 2 hour movie when it's all put together. Also, Rooster Teeth is a relatively tiny studio compared to the average effort that goes into a full animation studio.

The contrast, however, is that RT's folks have basically mentioned there's stuff already in the works for RWBY season three. Because Season 1 is already in the can. The RT crew doesn't release things that aren't done yet. So they're probably already starting work on season 2 while Season 1 releases a dribble at a time.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Episode 6http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=7988&v=more
Don't mess with the hair.

No wonder she flattened Junior.
-- Bob
---------

Is it just me, or does it seem like RWBY tries too hard to be quirky? And talky. The exposition feels shoehorned in somehow, to the point that it takes up more than actual action or plot.
... and the fakeout of the anticipated Ruby and Weiss brawl was annoying. No, I really don't care for the generic gun-fu using guy in green whose name I can't be bothered to recall due to his character's utter blandness.
---
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Actually, now I'm really curious as to what the deal is with Jaune. How little previous training does he have, and why would Ozpin allow someone so damn untrained into Beacon? Plus, there's the statue he's staring at in the intro.

As for the Ruby/Weiss fight, I dunno. It was the perfect chance to show that neither of them are used to team work, Ruby again fails at situational awareness, Weiss's experience might be a lot more training then practical, but she at least has the common sense to run away from a forest fire. Don't worry, they'll get a fight soon. Look at the size of that feather.

"I still don't think that's what a sloth sounds like." Lie Rin is the perfect straight man for Nora. You can hear is fond amusement in that line.

I dunno, Griever; it might just be you. Big Grin
I was commenting earlier that this, this is how you handle exposition.  It's not shoehorned in, it's instead made relevant.  It's not an As You Know, Bob thing, because Jaune doesn't know; and rather than show us his stupid face the entire time, it shows (not tells) what Pyrrha's talking about in voiceover.

As for the quirky part... well, I like it.  The "Boop!" at the end made my night.  Other examples of quirkiness that brought a huge grin to my face:

"You came baaaack!"
"Birdie, nooo!"
"Ruby, is that you? ... Nope."

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Also, it's another great character moment for Pyrrha. She, yet again, stops to help.

Quote:Sofaspud wrote:
I dunno, Griever; it might just be you. Big Grin
I was commenting earlier that this, this is how you handle exposition.  It's not shoehorned in, it's instead made relevant.  It's not an As You Know, Bob thing, because Jaune doesn't know; and rather than show us his stupid face the entire time, it shows (not tells) what Pyrrha's talking about in voiceover.

As for the quirky part... well, I like it.  The "Boop!" at the end made my night.  Other examples of quirkiness that brought a huge grin to my face:

"You came baaaack!"
"Birdie, nooo!"
"Ruby, is that you? ... Nope."
Aaaand you could still do the same thing without Pyrrha's longwinded explanation, with all of two lines and sans me wanting to just shake the writer and tell him 'yeah, okay, we get it, it's kinda like wuxia chi or something, spelling this stuff out for us isn't actually _helping_.'
Sort of like they explain Dust. They _don't_. It's mentioned in the intro, noted for being a powerful tool, then show in action with a minimalist presentation and letting everyone fill in the blanks for themselves. An altogether tidier way of doing things.
And I didn't really mean quirky in that way. I meant the overly long, awkward-seeming conversation that are supposed to be character establishing, but really, they tell us nothing about the characters that we haven't already been made aware of in previous scenes, and in a much more organic manner. Most of the Beacon sequences after the assembly seem to be just kind of ... redundant.
Don't get me wrong, I like the series, but most of the episodes just don't seem to be getting the most out of a five minute format ...
... plus, if you can't animate characters eating cookies or brushing their teeth without it looking this awkwardly, you could at least use perspective to obscure the fact. Just sayin'
---
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Actually, now I'm really curious as to what the deal is with Jaune. How little previous training does he have, and why would Ozpin allow someone so damn untrained into Beacon? Plus, there's the statue he's staring at in the intro.
Potential, maybe.  Whatever he inherited, besides hardware, from his grandfather the hero...
-- Bob
---------

One possibility is that he could be related to Ozpin. Or he let the kid in as a favor to someone else he knows. Maybe Jaune is related to someone Ozpin knew in his Hunter days? Given the Wizard of Oz references in the academy (Ozpin and Glenda Goodwitch being the obvious ones, but also the Emerald Forest, the City of Oz and so on...,) I've been trying to work out how a yellow-themed character would fit into the Oz story. Yellow brick road, of course, but how would Jaune fit that? Or is there another angle?
Edit: I just realized... Pyrrha and Jaune have a very Lina/Gourry vibe to them. Pyrrha's hyper-competent and extremely intelligent, while Jaune makes do on dumb luck and innocent charm. In Slayers, it was a deliberate inversion of the trope of the musclebound hero who "knows what to do" and the starry-eyed damsel in distress, with moments of Awesome for Gourry. They seem to be doing the same thing here with Jaune. As for why he seems to be so clueless, from a narrative perspective, he's obviously the insert for the audience. As he learns, so do we.
---

Episode 7 is up

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=8017&v=more

They tease, they tease...
Still hoping to see Ruby in combat, sometime. Smile
---

Quote:DRAG0NFLIGHT wrote:
They tease, they tease...
Still hoping to see Ruby in combat, sometime. Smile
I think, given the snippets we've seen, that Ruby is such a strong combatant, that many of the opponents in the forest are going to be easy for her to beat, unless they totally swarm her. While one-shotting a bunch of bad guys is nice, it doesn't make for good storytelling (sort of the same reason why Thor is never shown fighting bank robbers, unless they're like the Wrecking Crew). The giant scorpion will probably be her first real fight.
EDIT: And I just remembered why he would be called "Ozpin." In Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, the Wizard explains to Ozma and Dorothy that his name is Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, which he shortens for convenience. However, since the last seven initials spell "pinhead," he shortened it further, and thus became known as "Oz" (I'm not sure if this is in the movie featuring James Franco, since I haven't seen it.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

That might have been the movie. I recall somewhere that after he first lands in Oz, they ask him who he is, and he (for some reason) doesn't want to use his own name. So he's looking around, and sees part of his filing cabinet nearby. One of the drawers is labeled "O-Z" and he takes "Oz" as his name. I *think* that's from the books, but I'm not sure.
---

The filing cabinet story, as I recall, actually comes from an anecdote about Baum telling stories to youngsters and doing that very thing when pressed for the name of the land they took place in.
-- Bob
---------

Episode 8 is up and it's a firecracker and nearly 14 minutes long. Kickass combat, Nora's weapon is revealed even as she gets even cutesier, Jaune displays previously-hidden talent and is obviously unaware of it even as he does so, and so much more that I can't describe because it's spoilery.

I should warn that Roosterteeth.com also seems to be a bit swamped as I write; you might want to wait a couple hours if you're reading this anywhere close to when I posted it.

-- Bob
---------

Amusing note of the day. Apparently RWBY has started showing up on Crunchyroll. Cue the screams about how it's a terrible dub and someone needs to post the obviously better original japanese version.

... yeah. That happened.

Heh.
-- Bob
---------