Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word of advice...
Word of advice...
If you're driving a motorcycle (hell, anything really), make sure you pay attention to what's going on in front of the car in front of you (at least!).On the bright side, I got away with only some fairly impressive bruises. On the not so bright side, as least 2-3 thousand in damage between my bike and the car.

Ouch...
Good advice, though.

Good to hear that you walked away from the crash.

Not so good to hear it happened - ouch!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Likewise, sorry to hear about the damages, glad to hear none of the serious ones were to you...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:make sure you pay attention to what's going on in front of the car in front of you

If you can.  That's one of the things I hate about driving behind an SUV, that they block my line of sight to anything in front of them.

I'll echo everyone else in being glad you weren't seriously injured.  

When I first saw the line, I misread it as "what's going on in the car in front of you," and thought you meant watch out for a driver who's distracted by his passenger or something he's doing other than driving.  Which, after all, is a legitimate worry.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Dear god, tell me about it. San Antonio PD really needs to crack down hard on drivers talking or texting on their phones... So many offenders here they'll make their quotas in the first hour.

It wasn't too long ago that I was the thing going on in front...

Glad to hear you're alright.

Thanks all. Honestly, I'm not really happy about the whole thing. I could have avoided it by doing any number of things (aforementioned looking further ahead, increased following distance, not taking so long on or just plain not doing that head check to the left immediately before the crash, not panicking and locking the brakes, etc...), and I just got my bike back from the shop exactly a month ago from it being vandalized. 
I was very lucky there, I think, because after I hit the car and went down, I was completely in the next lane over, and somehow did not get run over by another driver. Probably helped that it was stop and go traffic, so everybody else had plenty of time to react to my screw up.

DHBirr, yes, if you can. That's the sad irony here. I hate being behind anything larger than a sedan, because I can't see, and here I was behind a sedan and just wasn't looking.

Ah, yes. "Following distance." The other drivers around here have heard of it and have dismissed those claims.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:Foxboy wrote:
Ah, yes. "Following distance." The other drivers around here have heard of it and have dismissed those claims.
It, and other ludicrous concepts like "turn signals," "blind spots," and "speed limits," are generally regarded as urban myths by most of the populace.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

same here Ebony, as far as following distance is concerned, if theres even the possibility of there being a cars length in between you and the person in front of you, someone IS going to slide in it around here

Me, I love the people who are too good to wait in an exit lane but instead try to force their way in right at the start of the exit ramp itself, usually sitting at a full stop with their turn signal on in a traffic lane until someone recognizes their divine right to be there.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The ones I find truly terrifying are those who make a turn by crossing in front of the designated turn lane.
And while we're on the topic of "too good to wait," how about those who, when they see "Lane Closed Ahead, Merge," zoom forward in the now-empty lane and then try to bull their way into the open lane much closer to whatever the obstacle is.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I personally despise the people who see you slowing to brake for a left turn, turn signal on, starting to turn into the left lane... and then they pass you on the left.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Update: Apparently I low-balled the estimate pretty badly. It's $3500 just for my bike. ;_;

all these (except for NiFT's actuall comments) are rants that the passengers of "Star's Taxi" are more than familiar with.

Fortunately, they don't have to listen to them as often since most of them have cars of their own now and mine blew the head gasket.

Apparently, they can also tell quite accurately how much road stress I'm under by where I fit on the "Captain Slow to Jezza" scale...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children