Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Skills
Life Skills
Well in that wonderfull LARP we call Real Life, I think this weekend I gained a level in automobile maintenance as I changed the filter and fluid in the auto transmission and adjusted the handbrake. All using the tool-set I have for IT work.

So I think now I've got skill points in Automobile: driving, tire change, radio install, globe replacement, basic upkeep; Home maintenance: painting, hole repair, electrical fitting replacement; AV: setup; IT assemble & run;

Also the transmission fluid I drew out, I think it increased my understanding on just how difficult it is to contain certain strains of Handwavium. Hoo boy, I had splashes from the catch tray, thing's I needed fall into said tray. Ruined a nice pair of riggers gloves and a plastic drop sheet. Plus we now have a patch of water-repellent concrete from the overflow of a bottle I was filling with the bad fluid.

--Rod.H

One time in college, I one of my flatmates was playing around with a set of lockpicks, and suggested that I have a go at them. It was a fairly crummy lock and therefore relatively easy for a beginner, so he taught me the basics of raking the pins while turning the shaft. I took up the tiny hook-shaped tool, and gave it the old college try. On my third attempt, rake-and-twist motion was successful, and the tiny padlock sprung open.

"Wow, this is pretty cool!" I said proudly, "Pretty good for an untrained open lock check."

My other flatmate, who had slunk in the door behind us, smugly countered, "Nope. Open Lock is trained-only. Congratulations on getting your first skill point in open lock!"

I looked up to face my DM. "Dammit. I needed that point for fluid dynamics this semester."
-- ∇×V

Back in high school, Foxboy ran me and a friend through a GURPS game where we played 25 point characters (3rd ed mind you) versions of ourselves... I'd like to think I'd be worth many more points now, and I'd have different skills XD
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Reminds me of a story idea I never followed up on, which was a game system so realistic in its modelling that if you wrote a real person up in it, you could use the character sheet for sympathetic magic...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

... Fortunately for Doug, Quincy never got his hands on that.

HOWEVER, let us not forget that a system like that requires a lifetime of character maintenance

(IE, balance between realistic model vs ease of use and speed of play the one thing game designers have struggled with since a little system called CHAINMAIL came out)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children