Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apparantly Fred Pohl has passed away.
Apparantly Fred Pohl has passed away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_Pohl

Ah hell...
Not unexpected by a long shot. But damn it all anyway. He'll be missed. 

Register story: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/02 ... s_aged_93/
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I met Fred Pohl lo these many years ago when the now-defunct Princeton University SF club invited him to speak. I remember him as a friendly, well-spoken fellow who enjoyed hanging around with us for the day or so he was on campus.  What a loss. 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ever read Mr. Pohl's Novel Drunkards walk Novel?
In spite of being a member of FFML and a silent watcher of the archive site for the FFML from the very near the mailing list start and a silent watcher of many other fanfic sites where Mr. Schroeck's stories are discussed, I believe it was actually a web search for an obscure Novel by Mr. Pohl called "Drunkards Walk" that led me to Bob's "Drunkard's Walk" forum on the web.(Edited now that I've thought about it for a while, it could have been the other way around. I could have been searching for Mr. Schroeck's "Drunkards walk" and found Mr. Pohl's obscure novel of the same title.)
I've never read  Mr. Pohl's "Drunkards Walk" novel, but I did keep up with the HeeChee series and a few other of his stories.
Bob did your Drunkard's Walk fanfic take any inspiration from Mr. Pohl's "Drunkards walk" Novel?
HDM
God Bless

I remember that I read it back in high school, I think it was, but beyond that, no -- I was, like Fred Pohl, thinking of the actual mathematical/probabilistic concept when I chose the name. I used to write drunkard's walk programs in BASIC for fun whenever I was bored at school and in my first few jobs: pretty much flip a virtual coin and incremnt/decrement a counter accordingly, and count how many flips it took to reach some arbitrary absolute value.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I don't think I've read any of his works, nor have any examples in my libraries. Though I could be wrong if Baen put any in their Free Library. Etherway, its yet more for my to read list.