Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, they didn't tell me this at the interview....
Okay, they didn't tell me this at the interview....
Okay, I found out I have to testify in a case I worked on. Which means guess what?
I have to wear a suit.
WHAT!!?
I haven't worn a suit for over a decade and the ones I have are now don't fit.
So off I went to  Joseph A. Banks. They have a current sale of buy 1 get 2.  Do not talk to me about the price because I'm in a state of sticker shock right now.  I ended matching and having tailored 3 suits:
1 gray suit for a court appearance
1 blue suit for going out on the town
1 MIB suit.
Yup, 1 MIB suit like Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. Only need the raybans and the shoes. Which begs the question. What type of shoes did those guys wear?
So I will either look like a MIB agent, an undertaker or someone who works at Region Bank Headquarters. May wear it to work at halloween.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:Yup, 1 MIB suit like Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. Only need the raybans and the shoes. Which begs the question. What type of shoes did those guys wear?
Wingtip, I think. Maybe.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It's a measure of what an obsessive-compulsive S.O.B. I am that I promptly got out my copy of the movie and went to the scene where Edwards puts on the black suit and becomes J, while K is deleting all his records.  I remembered there were a couple of close-up shots of the shoes.  
Not wingtips, if I understand the definition correctly.  They had no toe-caps, but a seam centered on the toes.

Not that it mattered for any real purpose, but now we all know more than we needed to about MIBs.  Look carefully into the flashy-thing, please....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
It's a measure of what an obsessive-compulsive S.O.B. I am that I promptly got out my copy of the movie and went to the scene where Edwards puts on the black suit and becomes J, while K is deleting all his records.  I remembered there were a couple of close-up shots of the shoes.  
Not wingtips, if I understand the definition correctly.  They had no toe-caps, but a seam centered on the toes.

Not that it mattered for any real purpose, but now we all know more than we needed to about MIBs.  Look carefully into the flashy-thing, please....
So..black loafers...was it patent leather i.e shiny? I think I can get a nuralizer propr somewhere.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

No, not loafers; they were laced.  I did a little looking around the 'Net, and the closest things I can find are described as "moccasin-toe oxfords," though all the examples I found lack that seam I mentioned centered on the toes, which runs up only about an inch to meet the upper seam.
Arioch help me, I'm an idiot.  Just watch this YouTube video of the scene in question.  I should've realized from the first someone would've posted it.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Hah, it's a set of military dress shoes
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Suit
Don't use the term suit - it is too depressing.
I prefer the phrase Subject Matter Expert Disguise.

You're looking for Rockport Oxford-style shoes. Rockport's the brand.
EDIT: The shoes in the first MIB were specifically the Rockport Pallas. I don't believe they make them anymore, but there are similar ones listed on the web store. I'm not sure what they wore in MIB 2 and 3.
I own a pair. I didn't buy them because they were used in the film, but let's face it, I'm a geek. It was a factor.
EDIT2: I'm not sure I'd recommend them if you don't wear suits and such very often. They're not cheap, and are slightly more than I would typically spend on footwear. But they are comfortable and very tough - presumably why they were picked as something to actually film a movie in. I've had my pair for around ten years now.
-- Acyl

I'm very tempted to go on an inspection with them.. I'll just tell them I'm with (place government organization) Region 6. That or walk over to Regions bank and blend in with the crowd. Next thing is a nuralizaer.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I think that would go over well at a workplace you've got a good relationship with around Halloween or April 1st. I'd say bonus point's if you also do it with the appropriate accessories black/grey reflective vest(isn't that a USN carrier deck crew scheme) and a black hardhat.

For your glasses, I think Bolle have a safety glasses range that might have something appropriate.

Ok, since I will have to go to the hospital for an angiogram, I decided to pull Halloween a day early.
Suit, Check
Glasses and neuralizer, check
shoes...not rockports but it will do till next year.
I should take a picture of this event...and no I am not going to share!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Ok, since I will have to go to the hospital for an angiogram, I decided to pull Halloween a day early.
Suit, Check
Glasses and neuralizer, check
shoes...not rockports but it will do till next year.
I should take a picture of this event...and no I am not going to share!
Just make sure you've got your shades on before the flashy thingy goes off. 8P

Flashy thing? I don't remember any flashy thing...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, it's been going well so far.
My supervisor is commenting on my sartorial splendor.
The security personnel around the building had been shaking my hands.
One girl riding the elevator down with me started giggling once she saw me, sans shades. She cracked up once I put on the shades and gave her a smirk.
One of the girls working at Subway wants me to Trick or Treat with her kids. 
The fly in the ointment is making sure nothing gets on the shirt when I eat or drink.
Heh, one guy told me I looked like a MIB on the way out.
Well, to celebrate a successful outing:

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Did anybody say something like "See you later?"
If they did, I hope you said something like "No. You won't."
Also, darn right you've got to keep that thing clean.  It's the last suit you'll ever wear!

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.