Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, Internet Explorer, How I Loathe Thee!
Oh, Internet Explorer, How I Loathe Thee!
Show me another browser where just opening a page in a new tab freezes your entire system.
Show me another browser that takes so long to do something like open an empty tab that if you start typing in a URL too soon, you end up changing the contents of an existing tab.
Show me another browser which is so clunky it automatically detects when it's taking too long and offers useless advice on how to improve its response time.  (Sorry, IE, I use no add-ons, you can't blame that lack of speed on anything else.)

ETA:  Oh, and let's not forget disappearing entirely from the desktop when the render gets too hard, locking everything again, until it reappears upon completion of the page.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Which version are you using?
In my experience, IE8 is sort of meh.  Not good, but not the horrid mess some other versions were.  IE9 is... ... actually not that bad.  I still don't recommend it, but it's not the worst thing ever made.
IE10, on the other hand, tends to be a buggy pile of crap.  You're better off downgrading to 9, if that's what you have.
...of course, since you should be using Chrome, Opera, or Firefox ANYWAY, the discussion is rather moot, innit?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I've found that for a very few things, especially saving stuff to my hard drive, IE gives me some capabilities that Chrome doesn't.  (I haven't tried any of the other browsers, largely because I don't trust any of the sources not to be fake browser sources trying to load malware onto my system.)  If I want to save a news/opinion article, for instance, IE lets me save it as a text file I can later convert to Word; Chrome only offers saving the Web page.  Hello?  All I want of most articles is the text!
But, damn, yes, IE is freakin' sluggish.  Oh, and the add-ons?  The only add-ons it ever suggests I should disable are aspects of my Norton Security.  Thanks, but NO thanks, IE!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I haven't tried Opera in quite a while, but in my experience Chrome and Firefox both have their own odious personal habits.

For example, in Chrome, it automatically starts googling and searching your browsing history from the first letter you type in the address bar. Doing so causes it to freeze up for as much as a minute -- on the FIRST LETTER. Google's response to pleas for the ability to disable this feature is that they consider it an integral function of the browser.

Firefox, on the other claw, runs all of its tabs in a single process, so if any of them needs processing time - say, to load a video, or a particularly clunky bit of flash or javascript - it freezes up the whole system.

And, of course, the more tabs you have open, the worse both of these misbehaviors become.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Firefox for me does the first and third on my laptop, usually after I've left it running or sleeping for a long time. The second....does having the tab you're trying to access, turn into a new window count?

Huh. Firefox has been trouble-free for me as long as I've had it. And I like how if the program crashes, it will automatically try to reload the page you were last on. Sure, it doesn't always succeed, or maybe I don't want it to, but the option is there, and it's appreciated.
IE I won't touch unless I absolutely have to, which is pretty much just OS updates. I've been known to use it a few times to test out a web link that I'm having issues with, to see if it's the browser or my connection, but other than that, I use Firefox pretty much exclusively.
Edit: As for multiple tabs and processes, I never lose sight of the fact that a "multitasker" is really just a very clever (and fast) single-task-at-a-time process running a timeshare. Bear that in mind whenever you're running lots of programs, or trying to download multiple things at once (which technically loading multiple pages simultaneously counts as,) and you'll be fine. I always remember to prioritize PC activities, so that it's never trying to do too much at the same time, so I don't overload its ability to multiprocess.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

All my Firefox problems are associated with flashslayer. Otherwise it's been a trouble-free browser. Adblock, scriptblock - a few other addons. The only reason I don't use Chrome more often is because I have firefox set the way I want. Opera just breaks on some webpages, but on others can be quite quick. I know people who swear by it

I'm using IE9 at work; I have IE10 at home but I don't use it -- I use Seamonkey, which is the Mozilla open-source successor to the old Netscape Suite. Seamonkey's browser shares its codebase with Firefox but is different in a few ways, I understand. All I know is that I can open dozens of tabs in rapid succession and my system won't even notice a load; IE9 on the other hand brings my entire machine to a screeching halt if I open more than three or four. Example: The EPU forums. Opening more than one topic off the "New Messages" page in IE immediately freezes my machine, every time, for upwards of 20 or 30 seconds -- and I'm not viewing the entire thread, either, just the top post.
-- Bob
---------

Internet Exploder
Fireflops
Google Blome
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

IE has one use
To download another browser Wink
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Quote:CrimsonKMR wrote:
IE has one use
To download another browser Wink
That's not entirely fair.
I keep a Firefox installer in my 'recover from reinstalling Windows' drive.  It can update itself from there.

I've been writing a bit.

Currently using Firefox 24 on my laptop and chrome on my Razr maxx smart phone.

My experience with Firefox is that it does in long term installs to develop memory leaks (as do other browsers). Also a surefire way to freeze Firefox in my experience is put your laptop to hibernate then reawaken it somewhere else with a different internet connection. Of course given that I regularly have three windows open with 90 tabs in my fanfic one (needs pruning), 23 in the second (news, weather and webcomics) and ten in the third memory issues are a given. It works pretty well till it starts to exceed 1.3 Gigabytes in memory usage (Currently at 430Mb) upon which it starts to get sluggish and freezy requiring a restart (This on a quad core Toshiba AMD laptop with 8 Gb RAM). I do suspect the issue has more to do with Firefox being a 32 bit browser on a 64 bit machine (Firefox developers don't want to work on 64 bit version currently).

Chrome on my laptop works but I rarely use it as I've got Firefox setup the way I want it. Chrome on my cell phone is better for some things than the built in browser but it tends to freeze for a few seconds after loading...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

[Image: 3B0pt3M.jpg]

While I know corrollation does not imply causation, that shape of the graph is certainly compelling...

Actually, the near perfect mimicry of the graphs in 2006-'08 is compelling, but from 2009 onwards the corrollation breaks down severely, as IE market share does not drop fast enough to fit the downwards trend of murders, a matter that is particularily clear in 2009.

It becomes more interesting if you try to fit the order of events the other way around, with less murders causing a drop in market share, but if that's true why the hell isn't Microsoft continuing it's live sacrifices?

Hazard Wrote:Actually, the near perfect mimicry of the graphs in 2006-'08 is compelling, but from 2009 onwards the corrollation breaks down severely, as IE market share does not drop fast enough to fit the downwards trend of murders, a matter that is particularily clear in 2009.

It becomes more interesting if you try to fit the order of events the other way around, with less murders causing a drop in market share, but if that's true why the hell isn't Microsoft continuing it's live sacrifices?
Enh, it's close enough for climate science....

... Climate science uses a much larger dataset, noting trends across most of a century at minimum, and does not posit that there is 1 single all deciding factor involved in the matter with nothing else making an impact. There's a bit of a difference there.

Quote:Hazard wrote:
... Climate science uses a much larger dataset, noting trends across most of a century at minimum, and does not posit that there is 1 single all deciding factor involved in the matter with nothing else making an impact. There's a bit of a difference there.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Let's keep this thread out of Politics, people.
Besides, it's fairly obvious what happened.  Windows 7 came out in 2009 with IE8.  That was, if memory serves me right, when Microsoft products stopped being homicide-provokingly bad (for a while, at least).
I'd be interested to see Win8 use alongside murder rates, or Microsoft Surface adoption.

I've been writing a bit.

How about Win8/Surface adoption alongside suicide rates?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Okay, this is a new one. I spin the mousewheel, intending to scroll down the contents of a tab, and IE decides that means I want to move the tab into its own window? Of course, after the requisite five seconds of locking the entire system up.
-- Bob
---------

Five seconds?!  Are you using one of the NSA's big Cray computers, that it locks up for only five seconds?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Not sure why it does that. I just have to make sure when spinning the mousewheel not to press down too hard, or suddenly the text is 150 point font...
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Five seconds?!  Are you using one of the NSA's big Cray computers, that it locks up for only five seconds?
I didn't explicitly count, so I lowballed my estimate to be fair.
-- Bob
---------